Author Topic: Mallory Dist advance springs  (Read 915 times)

JumpinJim

• View Profile
Mallory Dist advance springs
« on: March 26, 2024, 03:26:09 PM »
Anybody have any advance springs for an old Mallory Unilite mech advance YL distributor. Happy to pay for them.
I wish I had the kit- they seem to be un-obtainium!

mike7570

• View Profile
Re: Mallory Dist advance springs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 10:43:52 PM »
Jim, if I’m remembering correctly I found them in a kit for a different engine make. Mallory made the Unilite for other engine makes that are more popular than the FE Ford. The springs fit just the same and there’s different rates. I even had to purchase the plastic gauge to set the advance limit from another brand.
I think I got them from Amazon.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 10:45:41 PM by mike7570 »

JumpinJim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 09:46:57 AM »
Mike, thanks for the info.
I have looked all over the internet for Mallory advance springs for any engine make- nothing found.
I know it's a long shot and may never find any. I have used this original 3755301 for probably 40 years with no problems and I have the advance key but never thought about changing the advance curve. In fact I bought the new version and installed it on my 427. The new one is a great looking distributor; billet and polished but I don't think it's as good as my old one. The new one is nice and tight on the top side but actually has some slop in the shaft at the bottom. I put a steel gear on it and installed it, also changed the advance springs, I'll continue using my old MSD-7AL and my Mallory CD transformer. I haven't run it yet.
Jim

mike7570

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 01:25:06 PM »
Jim, I found mine - Summit timing curve kit 850535-1 (they show as in stock)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 01:43:52 PM by mike7570 »

JumpinJim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 09:25:06 AM »
The advance mechanism for the YL Mallory is different than the YH-YT. I wish they used the same springs, they look to short. I might give the Sum-850121 a try, I wouldn’t be out much, it’s an inexpensive/cheap spring kit. The picture is my YL advance mechanism. And the instructions for setting YL total advance. It's been a totally trouble free distributor.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 09:32:53 AM by JumpinJim »

mike7570

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 04:06:03 PM »
Now that you mention it I do think I ordered the YH-YT just for the plastic gauge, I still have all those little springs. I must of ordered springs from somewhere else.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 08:57:52 AM »
JumpinJim, what specific springs are you looking for?
I have a complete YL I used to run in my 428 and I have some extra springs in my tuning kit.

Let me know what springs you want and I might....might, have them available.

gregb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 03:34:09 PM »
JumpinJim, you interested in this lot?  $125 for all of it shipped (USA).  If your international I'll have to get a shipping quote.  2 distributors, on vacuum on not.  The vacuum can is new, I never installed the distributor after I put it on.  Neither has a module, one is there but it's bad.  Most all of the springs are there, either in that container or in the distributors.  I know 2 of the light ones are not, they went in boat that I sold a while back.  Those shiny springs are not Mallory, don't know what they fit.  Colors are not very apparent on the springs anymore, so deciphering which is which may be difficult, but they are easy enough to get to.  The advance key is there as well as the instruction sheet.  I'm in so cal if your out this way.