Author Topic: Radiators  (Read 1651 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Radiators
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2023, 07:58:06 PM »
Running at speed.
RPM 2700 at 107 KPH or 66 MPH Speed limit 100 KPH ::)
Oil 63 psi
temp 180*
Volts 13.5
Runs all day like this on the highway.
I'm also adding a air fuel ratio gauge.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/

What gears and size tire. I would assume 3.50 and a 28 inch tire.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2023, 04:48:26 AM »
Running at speed.
RPM 2700 at 107 KPH or 66 MPH Speed limit 100 KPH ::)
Oil 63 psi
temp 180*
Volts 13.5
Runs all day like this on the highway.
I'm also adding a air fuel ratio gauge.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/

What gears and size tire. I would assume 3.50 and a 28 inch tire.

Yes. 3.50 and 28 inch tire.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2023, 07:19:20 AM »
A lot of good stuff for me to get working on. Between a better alternator and maybe a better fan I might be a little better. It’s not like I’m overheating I just want to be able to drive my car whenever I want. If I can get 10 degrees and a little more consistency in traffic that’s all I’m looking for. I would also like to get a hood with a scoop to let some of that heat out.

Well, having run scoop hooded cars, they really don't let heat escape except at a dead stop. What was mentioned here was adding a washer or two to the rear hinge hood side bolts, allowing the hood to stick up a tad at the rear edge. That does work at idle and underway to let heat escape if one can live with the hood sticking up a tad.
Bob Maag

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2023, 02:26:44 PM »
Amazon, they came early again.
The fans look great. I could not find any markings on the fans other than the stickers.
They do not have made in china on them so I'm happy.
I tested them and they both work and seem to pull a lot of air.
I will make up a bracket using my available junk.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2023, 02:35:42 PM »
Well, having run scoop hooded cars, they really don't let heat escape except at a dead stop. What was mentioned here was adding a washer or two to the rear hinge hood side bolts, allowing the hood to stick up a tad at the rear edge. That does work at idle and underway to let heat escape if one can live with the hood sticking up a tad.
Thanks for this feedback. Exactly what I was getting at.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2023, 12:33:18 PM »
To put the Air Fuel Gauge in I had to take the pipes off.
So I started it without the pipes. ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbgTW8R-s08

I made some aluminum gaskets for the collectors and got the pipes back in with the O2 sensor installed.
Fans next.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2023, 05:00:50 PM »
Just a couple of random thoughts:
As large a rigid stock type fan as you can fit with a shroud will cool best. A clutch will not make it cool better but will help with horsepower loss of the rigid fan.
The fans shown a couple of posts above are fine if they work good enough for your application.
A straight blade electric fan will always pull more air than a curved blade electric fan at the same size. The curved blade fans only exist because they are quieter.
A paddle blade electric fan pulls even more air but is a lot noisier.
I always try to use the truck style 7" dual belt crank pulley with a 5" dual belt water pump pulley.
I like the Powermaster 477491 Ford G3 1 wire alternator. I run the small dual belt pulley. I run a 2ga charge wire directly to the plus side of the battery and NOT to the starter solenoid. You will need dual v belts with a 3G or the belts will squeal.

There's a lot of things that can help with cooling. Vacuum advance helps, but I personally don't use it. Make sure timing is adjusted properly. Fuel mixture too.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2023, 02:03:18 PM »
I have the fans hanging in place now.
I have them as close to the fins as possible with out them touching the fins.
Wiring next.

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2023, 05:05:41 PM »
That looks alot like the stock radiator in my '66 Galaxie.  I was happy with a fan Ford has for the newer Mustangs as shown here.  A bit pricy but a very nice unit that needed very little work to fit the radiator.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2023, 10:17:27 PM »
Joe, this is the setup we run on the Cougar and on the 68 Mustang drag car. They put out a ton of air. I believe you can order this same setup without the fan relay kit, but the relay kit makes it easy to wire. On the cougar I relocated the relay to the bottom side of the shroud and you can't see it at all.

With both fans running this setup will sweep my barn floor for me.

https://www.stang-aholics.com/i-30750833-67-70-mustang-dual-electric-fans-with-shroud-and-wiring-for-24-inch-radiator.html

Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2023, 10:33:20 PM »
I don’t know how to put pics in but those are the fans that I have now Mike.. They work good just looking for a smidge more. Gonna go to the 12 inch setup. The more I think about it  my charging system could be the culprit. I think the fans slow up on longer rides. Sometimes after a long ride with fans on and I put on blinker my volt gauge rocks back and forth with the blinker. The car also doesn’t run as crisp. Yeah this winter gonna really go over the whole car. Everything’s been the same since it’s been together since 2013. What started this thread was the triple pass radiator that I saw, I guess nobody has gone down that rabbit hole so I will stick with a regular radiator.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2023, 10:39:23 PM »
When I put those on the Cougar I did a 150A alternator at the same time. A quick alternator change can't hurt...
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2023, 10:44:47 PM »
Yes the alternator will definetly be happening.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2023, 04:03:33 AM »
Joe, this is the setup we run on the Cougar and on the 68 Mustang drag car. They put out a ton of air. I believe you can order this same setup without the fan relay kit, but the relay kit makes it easy to wire. On the cougar I relocated the relay to the bottom side of the shroud and you can't see it at all.

With both fans running this setup will sweep my barn floor for me.

https://www.stang-aholics.com/i-30750833-67-70-mustang-dual-electric-fans-with-shroud-and-wiring-for-24-inch-radiator.html

Do you drive the car over long distance? Like burn a full tank during the afternoon run and then pull off the highway and sit in a line of traffic? What kind of performance does it give?

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2023, 04:12:28 AM »
I don’t know how to put pics in but those are the fans that I have now Mike.. They work good just looking for a smidge more. Gonna go to the 12 inch setup. The more I think about it  my charging system could be the culprit. I think the fans slow up on longer rides. Sometimes after a long ride with fans on and I put on blinker my volt gauge rocks back and forth with the blinker. The car also doesn’t run as crisp. Yeah this winter gonna really go over the whole car. Everything’s been the same since it’s been together since 2013. What started this thread was the triple pass radiator that I saw, I guess nobody has gone down that rabbit hole so I will stick with a regular radiator.
A larger rad will allow you to carry more coolant. That's always a plus.
It could the voltage regulator. They go blinky sometimes.
Which water pump and pulley do you use?
I use a Edelbrock pump and small diameter CVF pulley. I think that helps my car.