Author Topic: 390 in the weeds  (Read 2032 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
390 in the weeds
« on: June 11, 2017, 02:21:05 PM »
i have a friend that lives across the hill from me.he has a long gravel driveway.every time i go up his road i look up on the bank in the weeds because there is a oil pan sticking up.i have been wondering for years what this engine was,so today i asked my friend if i could climb that bank and see what that engine is sticking out of the weeds upside down.he said go right ahead,that thing has been there since i was a boy.i climbed up there and pulled some of the weeds back till i could see better.i noticed it looked like a fe right away.the numbers on the block said c3 something,i assumed it was a 63 390.the oil pan has pin holes all in it,and it looks thin.the heads and intake are under ground.i told my buddy i would give him 20 dollars if he would let me roll it down the hill into my truck bed.he gave it to me and said if anything is left of it i hope you can use it.i have not picked it up yet,but wonder if there is anything still usable on it?its been upside down in the weather for at least 40 years
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:13:39 PM by fryedaddy »
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Dot Heton

• View Profile
Re: 390 in the weeds
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:36:22 PM »
This reminds me of when I was fifteen. I brought home a 67' Coronet 500 and the guy threw in a 392 hemi four barrel motor hooked to an automatic. It bottomed out my grandpa's nearly new 76' F100. I still somehow managed to get it out of the truck and put it next to the shed. It's still sitting there today. It's never been covered from the rain. I just try not to think about it.

FElony

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 07:50:19 PM »
This reminds me of when I was fifteen. I brought home a 67' Coronet 500 and the guy threw in a 392 hemi four barrel motor hooked to an automatic. It bottomed out my grandpa's nearly new 76' F100. I still somehow managed to get it out of the truck and put it next to the shed. It's still sitting there today. It's never been covered from the rain. I just try not to think about it.

Now that you have confessed, Hemi Joel will be notifyin' the Whale Motor Mafia, who will be a-visitin' you for a lynchin'. I suggest relocation to Swedistan or Francistan or Germanistan where you might be safer. Good luck.

Dot Heton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:33:43 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my hemi is half submerged in the mud. That was the whole reason for telling this story.