Author Topic: Dipstick Raises up out of Tube.  (Read 2892 times)

67428GT500

• View Profile
Dipstick Raises up out of Tube.
« on: January 25, 2020, 01:54:56 AM »
I have been having an issue with the dipstick being pushed up about an inch. There isn't a blow-by issue.  Sometimes I have to rotate the dipstick to get it all the way down.  I thought perhaps it's getting hung up on the windage tray? 
I have a PCV valve that is vented from the right rear intake boss ( C7ZX 427 MR intake)
I thought perhaps others may have encountered this in their travels.
                                                                                                              -Keith

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Dipstick Raises up out of Tube.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 08:25:12 AM »
Rotating the dipstick to get it all the way into position is fairly common with a windage tray installation, at least based on my own experience.  I put a 30 degree bend at the very end of the dipstick, probably 1/4" from the end or less, to help guide it past the windage tray.  If you install the dipstick with that bend pointing away from the crank it will help get it past the windage tray.

The dipstick pushing out is a different situation altogether.  There is lots of air movement in the crankcase, blowby or not, and if there is not enough breather capacity to let the pressure waves escape they will look for another outlet, hence the dipstick pushes out.  Take a close look at your breathers; many of them only have two very small holes for ventilation of the crankcase, and these are not sufficient on a strong engine.  An open, K&N style breather with a 1" or larger hole is a much better solution.  Even if you have good breathers though this can still be a problem.  On my 511" FE that I ran in 2005 and 2006, I put a spring between the dipstick handle and one of the oil filter adapter bolts, to hold the dipstick in position.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 02:15:29 PM »
Jay: Thanks for the advice on the spring.  I think I over-filled the case by a half quart as well.  I am running the Cobra T-sump with seven quarts of Brad Penn straight 30 WT.  The breathers are the factory chrome units. There is only one.  On the MR would it matter which port I ran the PCV from on the right side? The rear on the back of the manifold is plugged off.
                                                                                         -Keith

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 11:58:59 PM »
my dipstick does that.i believe my hoop on the end of the dipstick where your finger goes in to remove it comes in contact with my shock or spring tower because of engine movement or vibration.i have to push the dipstick down a inch or so nearly every time i open the hood. jmo
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 11:06:50 AM »
   Crankcase pressure . No other reason. I used to hook a spring to mine.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 11:33:15 AM »
As Jay stated, check for sufficient breather capacity. One can also use a vacuum/pressure gauge (many have both functions) and with a length of rubber hose, attach same with clamps or a tight fit to the dipstick tube and fire her up. Excessive blow-by if present will be noted at idle and other rpm levels. Having a well-functioning PCV valve is helpful too although if worn rings and/or well-worn internals are present, this will not help of course.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:29:49 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 01:26:36 PM »
   Crankcase pressure . No other reason. I used to hook a spring to mine.
This.  If I see this behavior consistently, it's time to check the header evac check valves - OR - for rings and a bore touch up. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 01:43:02 PM »
I fit the dipstick before evey windage tray/pan installation, if it hits, be careful, it can roll up into the crank and break off.  A stock pickup won't care much, but an aftermarket pickup can let a chunk into the oil pump

If it is crankcase pressure at WOT, you may need to add a breather hose to the air cleander to create negative pressure at WOT when the PCV is at or near zero
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 03:57:53 PM »
my dipstick tube really is touching the shock tower. it sits less than i/16 inch from it. i can bend the tube slightly and it quits popping up. this dont have nothing to do with this topic,but one time i had a carb rebuilt on a 352 in a 56 ford.gas leaked in the engine after installation and when i fired it up it blew the valve covers off,all but one or two bolts still holding,it blew the breather cap sky high,and it shot the dip stick out like a bow and arrow through the tree tops,never found it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:35:04 PM by fryedaddy »
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Dr Mabuse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 04:57:52 PM »
I had that on the 428 in my '66 Galaxie XL. The stick started popping up - after a while I was hearing a tick, and it was getting worse - it turned out the tick was a loose valve guide pressurizing the crankcase (but probably not what the OP problem is?).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 04:59:43 PM by Dr Mabuse »

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 08:29:29 AM »
When I had this problem I blamed it on the Total Seal rings.
Jim

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 05:40:56 PM »
When I had this too it turned out to be rings. :o

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 11:46:45 PM »
I noted two issues. I made a quick change and drove it about 35 miles after returning from Madrid. 
I remembered that someone suggested restricting the 1/2 PVC hose that runs to the right rear side of the intake on on the C7ZX. I inserted two pieces of rubber hose that reduced the inside diameter to about 3/16. I removed the restrictors and it didn't raise back up. I have a push on breather on the driver's side cover and the tube in the front of the intake. It also has a baffle in it that blocks most of the tube internally.
The back of the intake has a cover on it. My guess is I don't have enough ventilation. I have a factory windage tray which I noted also was problematic when inserting the dipstick.  The engine has less than 650 miles on it. I have yet to spin it over 4500 rpm.
                                                                                                    -Keith

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 10:59:12 AM »
One breather and the intake fill tube should still vent enough. Quite a few early 427's left the factory with just the fill tube and a vent at the back of the intake, with no problems. I used to run my old 390 that way with no issues, and spun it to over 5500 regularly. I'd still be concerned about blow-by being your issue.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 11:24:02 AM »
Drive it some more, se if the rings seats after
a while

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it