Author Topic: Engine paint  (Read 3178 times)

T U Bar

• View Profile
Engine paint
« on: May 12, 2020, 09:13:13 AM »
I'm assuming I need to stick with the "old" Ford blue for a '66 block, but just wanted to confirm?  When was the transition to "Dark" Ford blue?
Recommendations for rattle can paint?  VHT?  Duplicolor?  Other?
Thanks!
Doug

‘65 Fastback Mustang
‘66 Fairlane GT

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: Engine paint
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 09:15:45 AM »
I prefer Duplicolor Old Ford Blue. 

64PI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 09:26:28 AM »
I've always had good look with Duplicolor engine paint. Durable stuff. I can't speak for the color match on the blue. I always spray my blocks black.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 09:42:37 AM »
I use the Duplicolor ceramic engine paint as well.  The transition to "Dark Ford Blue" wasn't for several years later. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

FElony

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »
I prefer Duplicolor Old Ford Blue. 

Thet thar izza p q leer lookin fe hedd, iffen ah do say.

Do I get a cheezburgr for mentioning the part number is actually DE1621?

Does Color Place come in cans? I thought it was only house paint. Am I woefully mistaken?

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 08:46:01 PM »
Has anyone tried por15 engine paint? I’ve used their products for sealing inside doors and things of that nature for many years. I bought a quart can, it brushes and sprays nicely, but haven’t ran the engine yet to see how long it lives.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 06:21:24 AM »
Has anyone tried por15 engine paint? I’ve used their products for sealing inside doors and things of that nature for many years. I bought a quart can, it brushes and sprays nicely, but haven’t ran the engine yet to see how long it lives.

I have used the POR15 engine enamel a few times.  It self-levels nicely, brushes on well, lasts decently.  I always better luck spraying than brushing, though both work.  It doesn't need much reducer, if any.  It did seem to take longer to "bake" than other brands. 

I have also used VHT and Duplicolor.  VHT seems to stain very easily.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:22:59 AM by CV355 »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 07:54:30 AM »
>Do I get a cheezburgr for mentioning the part number is actually DE1621?

Well, excuuuuuse me  ;D   Look again, you didn't see anything...

Yes, Walmart paint comes in cans.  And happens to be decent paint, believe it or not.  That number may not be good anymore.  And just for fun - the place around here that has the best selection of Krylon paint is Hobby Lobby.  I found a metal flake purple that nearly matches the dragster color and can be used for touchups.  Only deal is that it has more and finer flake in the finish. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 08:04:17 AM by Falcon67 »

FElony

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
>Do I get a cheezburgr for mentioning the part number is actually DE1621?

Well, excuuuuuse me  ;D   Look again, you didn't see anything...

Yes, Walmart paint comes in cans.  And happens to be decent paint, believe it or not.  That number may not be good anymore.  And just for fun - the place around here that has the best selection of Krylon paint is Hobby Lobby.  I found a metal flake purple that nearly matches the dragster color and can be used for touchups.  Only deal is that it has more and finer flake in the finish.

Nope, still says DL. I ain't falling for that Star Wars psych when a cheezburgr is at stake. Nosiree.

I'll check HL for Krylon. Planning to stop by AutoZone and O'Reilly's to see if they can order Duplicolor that is not normally on the shelf. Years ago I tried the first version of Metalcast in a couple different colors. Initially, the results were very nice, but they faded after a while. I see they have it again with supposedly a better adhesion promoter, so I might give them another shot.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 04:24:09 PM »
I`ve been using Por 15 Black engine paint for yrs on all my 427s. It stays on the exhaust ports well. Wish I could find something that would stay on the long cast exhausts. 

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 06:28:31 PM »
It's expensive, but I've found that if you don't want the paint to burn off the manifolds or around the exhaust ports you can ceramic coat the inside of the manifolds and the exhaust ports in the head and that will keep a lot of the heat out of the material and keep a good hi-temp paint from baking off for a long time.

But it's expensive and a lot of messing around on the head to get the coating done well.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 10:54:42 PM »
I've always had good look with Duplicolor engine paint. Durable stuff. I can't speak for the color match on the blue. I always spray my blocks black.

I, too, believe a Ford performance engine should be black. ;)

KS

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 11:00:35 AM »
>Nope, still says DL.
Clear your browser cache

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 12:13:53 PM »
i use the old ford dark red from back in the y block days.its my favorite engine color. fooy on original,i like the red
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

FElony

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 02:57:15 PM »
>Nope, still says DL.
Clear your browser cache

Dagnabbit. I guess there really is no free lunch. Back to begging on the off ramp.