Author Topic: reverse pattern shifter 66 fairlane  (Read 2887 times)

gt350hr

• View Profile
Re: reverse pattern shifter 66 fairlane
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2021, 10:47:59 AM »
  His T Bolt is awesome! And yes uses the original "on the tree " shifter.

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2021, 01:59:42 PM »
Look , I hear you , however it is the requirement . Even tho every single one of these I have been able to operate with one hand  . The winters was the one that everyone started putting door latches on looking all stupid because it had no lock out .
I dont care for a cable shifter nor do I care for having a lockout , but I care alot less for getting hassled in the lanes and I have been many years ago. Of course you can show up in a new mustang or a dodge with no cage or anything else and run in the 9s and no one says a peep apparently.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2021, 09:20:34 PM »
Blueoval77, just curious which dragstrips you go to, that say a 2 hand lockout is a requirement on a factory shifter. Like I said, over 10 years, at 8 different dragstrips, including NHRA National and divisional events, that I raced at, no such requirement was mentioned.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2021, 02:01:22 AM »
Not trying to be argumentative, just discussing, but I have to agree with Rory & Randy, I’ve raced at at least 18 different tracks, including going through NHRA tech at the World Finals national event at Pomona for the Summit ET championship, and never had a tech issue with my stock Mustang and Torino shifters. I took a look at the NHRA rulebook to refresh my memory, and the rulebook differentiates between an OEM floor mounted shifter and an non OEM aftermarket shifter, with stating that the non OEM shifter needs a spring loaded reverse lockout, but there’s no requirement that the reverse lockout requires two hands. I will add though, when I’ve advised people about various NHRA rules I always add that there’s always the possibility you might run into a rogue track tech inspector that has their own interpretation of a rule. I always keep an actual copy of the NHRA rule book with me at the track. I’ll just add too, there is a version of the Winters shifter that has a NHRA accepted spring loaded reverse lockout on the handle, I have one for one of my other cars. I think the confusion on the Winters is just that some people don’t know both versions exist and mistakenly buy the version without it for drag racing. The rock crawling & 4 wheeling folks like the Winters shifter without the lockout for easy shifting between forward & reverse. The reverse lockout on the Winters is actuated by pulling up that disc below the shift knob. The similar Turbo Action Cheetah and older Art Carr shifters also have a reverse lockout button on the handle you actuate with one hand and I have multiple friends with the Turbo Action Cheetah shifters, and they have no issues either with NHRA tech.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:06:48 AM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2021, 12:07:30 PM »
Nope , must require two hands....

Agree - no requirement for "two hands".  The Pro Ratchet shifter reverse lockout lever is operated by your shift hand thump before passing into reverse.  Very simple.  Shift has all the micro switches to handle neutral safety, reverse lights, etc. I like it because if I have to shift manually, it's just burnout in 2nd, move back to 1st then launch-pull-pull.  Very easy.  Takes longer to park the car - push-push-push-flip-push-push LOL. 

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2021, 07:32:42 PM »
Its been quite a few years now (Late 80s early 90s) since I actually had the time but I was running MIR , the Beach and Capitol over here on the east coast . It was MIR where I got the grief and just carried it with me from there. I was mostly street racing and attending the late night "Midnight madness" events at the time and they were simply going nuts on the cars. To the point where guys were grafting DOT stamps ontp tires and other craziness. To give a visual here we would roll in when the gates opened and there may have been 5 other cars there unloading . By nights end we may have had 50 cars there maybe a little more . To be honest we were at the track to start shit and we would then take our business to the streets of southern MD. Hell ive flagged a race up in Bowie near capitol in the middle of 301 quite a few times.  Things are much different now.
That Darn Cat . I dont take it as argumentative . I am just now going back into this and information is a good thing. The winters is the only other shifter I would run and I have seen plenty of them with a  freaking sliding bolt screwed onto the thing.
I was shown the rule Im sure and I remember two hands were required or other wording to that extent... Admittedly its been a long time.

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2021, 12:32:05 AM »
  His T Bolt is awesome! And yes uses the original "on the tree " shifter.

Also not NHRA Legal but yes.. very cool car.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2021, 12:19:30 PM »
     Phil Passes tech everywhere he goes and has for thirty years. I don't know why you say it isn't legal. Th shift lever IS spring loaded and must be pulled back to go into reverse.