Author Topic: southern automotive 447 stroker  (Read 4067 times)

oldtimmc

• View Profile
southern automotive 447 stroker
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:59:08 PM »
Hey all, just wanted to list the parts make-up of my soon to be delivered unique cobra with SA's 447 stroker and get some feed back good or bad. Edelbrock Performer RPM heads cnc'ed ported and polished, port matched to a Blue Thunder medium rise manifold, holley 750 DP, Pioneer hardened pushrods, PRW Pq aluminum roller rockers( 1.76) PRW high volume water pump, Keith Black ICON forged pistons, hastings hand filed rings, eagle h-beam forged rods with ARP bolts, eagle specialty stroker crank(4.250), MSD pro billet distributor, MSD 6AL ignition, Comp cams cam and solid lifters custom grind ( dur. @ .050 242 intake 251 exhaust, .528 lift intake, .533 Ex. 110 degree lobe separation )melling high volume oil pump, canton 8qt pan ( baffled not trap door) canton windage tray,  main bearings are Enginetech, rod bearings are King's, edelbrock double roller timing chain, compression is 10.2 to 1 Bill Parham says probably in the 500 to 530hp range, 500 lb torque. Listed things a bit willy nilly but I'd be interested to hear all kinds of opinions, thanks. Oh yea its a standard 390 block vatted, mag'd, all oil mods, deburred etc.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: southern automotive 447 stroker
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:00:27 PM »
Nice intake manifold & the heads are probably pretty decent.  I use Comp, Melling and MSD as well.
Some of the other parts are items/brands I don't use so I really cannot offer much in the way o advice.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 02:10:40 PM »
Frankly, I would be afraid of the Eagle crankshaft. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 06:04:04 PM »
The lift on that cam seems really really mild. Are you sure the lift spec is right? It would definitely not take advantage of the nice heads and intake that you have. The duration seems pretty decent for a good street engine and the LSA is right on for a light car, but I think you will lose a lot of cylinder fill capability with that lift.

I have heard good and bad on PRW rockers, but have no personal experience with them myself. Some guys have had failures with them. The rest of the parts seem to be nice pieces.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »
Brent your quote

Doug made the comment about some guys having trouble with the PRW parts on that same thread, so I'll be awaiting your response to Doug about his "dissing an FE legend."

Are you saying that PRW rockers are an FE legend.
As a dealer of said parts what's your "professional engine builder" stance on these rockers.
Just to be clear and up front I actually bought a set of PRW rockers from you many years ago.