Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Spintech mufflers?  (Read 3142 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
Anyone have experience with Spintech mufflers?
« on: May 03, 2021, 11:48:21 AM »
I am working on a 427 Cobra and will be fabricating full under chassis exhaust.
The space is VERY limited which will require a small muffler.

I see Spintech is making a very small oval (box) muffler that may work well in the limited space available.

Does anyone have any experience with Spintech mufflers in terms of build quality, materials, and sound?

Thanks and have a great day.

FE4SPDMustang

Re: Anyone have experience with Spintech mufflers?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 01:07:48 PM »
I don't know if this response will be helpful but I will tell you my experience anyway. I had Spintech on my Mustang. Hooker Long Tubes, standard crossover  (Not X pipe) and full length exit at rear valence.  The mounts were factory with the heavy rubber insulator. 
They always had a weird reverberation. Almost a drone. I have Dynamat under the carpet and all the way into the trunk. It ends at the fuel tank drop off . I also have the factory style tar insulation and jute still on the carpet. It still carried into the cabin. I changed them to Flowmaster 40 series Delta.
They stopped the odd drone but still are loud.
I am the second person I know who also had an issue with the Spintech product.
I don't  know if that is helpful but it was a personal experience and not hearsay.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 03:07:43 PM »
I don't know if this response will be helpful but I will tell you my experience anyway. I had Spintech on my Mustang. Hooker Long Tubes, standard crossover  (Not X pipe) and full length exit at rear valence.  The mounts were factory with the heavy rubber insulator. 
They always had a weird reverberation. Almost a drone. I have Dynamat under the carpet and all the way into the trunk. It ends at the fuel tank drop off . I also have the factory style tar insulation and jute still on the carpet. It still carried into the cabin. I changed them to Flowmaster 40 series Delta.
They stopped the odd drone but still are loud.
I am the second person I know who also had an issue with the Spintech product.
I don't  know if that is helpful but it was a personal experience and not hearsay.
Thanks, your reply is helpful because it is an account of what you experienced directly.

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 03:10:13 PM »
I have a cobra replica with a full undercar exhaust using Spintech rectangular mufflers.  Gotta be honest, I don't love them.  At cruising rpm, my car sounds like a UPS truck.  When it gets up in the revs, it sounds better.... Unfortunately, there's really not any good options given the real estate limitations.  Nonetheless, I'm considering doing something else in the near future... Not sure what yet though lol.

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 05:09:58 PM »
67 Mustang, custom built equal length headers,  3 1/2" oval pipe exhaust, X pipe, turned downs at rear axle,  rectangular spin tech, light flywheel,  5 speed, 12 to 1.
Loud everywhere, idle sounded like dynamite going off every time it fired, loud pedal made it deafening, X pipe gave it a sound of it's own. Sounded like a F1 car at high rpm.     I loved it.
NOT for a frequent driver or longer trips.
Woody

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 10:57:27 PM »
I bought a 'K' Mustang in 1965. Started changing things as soon as I got it home. Put on a good set of 4-tube headers and a set of "Walker Chambered Pipes" that were designed for the big block 'vettes. Terminated before the axle. Thought they were a bit loud so installed what were called, at the time "Racket Buster Cans". They were stainless-shelled small glasspak mufflers designed as terminations for custom exhaust systems. I was satisfied with them even after the final 'improvement'---a VS 59 Paxton. I believe you can still get the Walker pipes. The Racket Busters might be a bit harder to come by. Suggest you look at Super Trapp terminations. I've had good experience with them. And they're tune-able.

KS

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 02:23:59 AM »
Had fabricated a 3-1/2" to X to 3" to Dynomax Ultraflows to 2-1/2" tailpipes on my street Fairlane.  Terrible drone at 2k.  Cut in a pair of 3" small Spintech mufflers ahead of the Dynomax mufflers and the drone was gone, sound level was perfect, tone was great.  Worked for me in that application.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

Russ67Scode

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 08:30:08 PM »
I had a set of spintech mufflers on my big inch FE w/ 3 inch exhaust in a 67 Fairlane
No better sound IMHO

https://youtu.be/FhGcccBG3Fc
BP 520 ci BBM Twin turbo FAST EFI

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 10:16:27 PM »
Ok Russ, that is a beautiful automobile. I was sold on the 3 inch 40 series flowmasters going on, but now maybe not. Thanks for sharing the video.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 06:50:44 AM »
+1 awesome ride Russ!

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 01:18:14 PM »
Love the way those sound.
I went back and replayed my 428 with 3 inch into Flowmaster 40s and they sound similar.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 01:23:44 PM »
  I have the "loaf of bread" style Spin techs on my '66 GT350 when mufflers are required. Only costs a tenth and one MPH in the eighth , great sound but not for a "cross country drive".

FE4SPDMustang

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 02:14:48 PM »
GT350. That was my take.  The resonance drove me crazy on anything more than 25 miles at a time.  I don't think they sounded bad from behind the car.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 06:42:45 PM »
I will be the "old fogy" here, and say that the shrill of the Spintech mufflers is the most irritating sound possible on the street.  I despise the sound with the 4 valve engines, especially.  Power does not have to be loud to be appreciated.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

FE4SPDMustang

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 07:07:51 PM »
Joe, I enjoy the deep, throaty rumble. Four cylinder engines will never have "That sound" no matter what is done to them. I call it the " Pissed off Bumble bee" sound.  I was an early " Ricer" but not like these kids. I stumbled onto a factory SSS car with factory side draft SU carbs. It was impressive and Datsun had a pretty good parts program. The second car was a 2000 Roadster with 50MM Mukuni side drafts. Nether car ever sounded like the current "Ricers".
Now I am relatively happy with a healthy 428. The dual Flowmaster 40 Deltas are still louder than I want. I guess I have gotten older. I avoid loud music doing log books too. It's distracting anymore.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:18:16 PM by FE4SPDMustang »