Author Topic: More engine stumble issues 4.9L (300 I-6) Help with ideas please.  (Read 2624 times)

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
Re: More engine stumble issues 4.9L (300 I-6) Help with ideas please.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 01:39:35 PM »
It does sound like a bad ground. Assuming, again, like the older trucks(Ford kept the same style of wiring for close to three decades), there are grounds at the headlights, rear tail lights, steering column. The headlight/dimmer controls headlights, marker lights, dash lights. My guess is if you break out a wiring diagram you find that the ignition and this circuit share a ground at some point. Otherwise, a hot wire(not likely) BUT it could be in the key switch, VR or starter relay if still the old school types.  Looking over a diagram will help narrow it down. Could also be fuel related since FI but normally on the old Fords it is grounds.

Try this, assuming it still has the floor activated high beam...unplug it and try it then. Very quick test.

To put some perspective on how funky grounds and these systems can be, on my '75 F250 4x4, I restored the entire column. Wire correct, had my rear light harness removed....turn on the the lights and one blinker indicator would like up solid, hit turn signal stuff went silly. Made 0 sense. After checking, rechecking, and more checking, I started playing. Can't recall the fix, but it was nothing to do with my wiring/restoration.....just how the system feeds, directs, grounds and it was one of two switches/several grounds/stuff not even hooked up. I did not take the time to look further since it was easy for me to get back to 100% being in the shop and tore apart.

cleandan

• View Profile
Re: More engine stumble issues 4.9L (300 I-6) Help with ideas please.
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 06:29:19 PM »
Thanks again for all the helpful hints, and ideas.
After all the little repairs and parts replacements I did get it running really well, but not without the occasional stumble.

I sold it this weekend to a guy who was very happy with the way it ran, stumble and all.

As much as I am happy the truck sold (I was done with it as my kid learned how to drive a stick in it) I am a little bit bummed I did not get that stumble ironed out.
I was planning on adding another chassis/engine ground but it sold before I got to that job.

Thanks again.