Author Topic: RIP Jim Kuntz.....  (Read 2715 times)

gt350hr

• View Profile
RIP Jim Kuntz.....
« on: May 15, 2019, 11:04:19 AM »
   Just heard from Larry at Kuntz and Co , Jim passed away yesterday of a massive stroke. He was a major force in FE Ford performance and will me sorely missed. I dealt with him for 20+ years. RIP my friend.
   Randy
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:54:40 PM by gt350hr »

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: RIP Jim Kuntz.....
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:13:13 AM »
That's a big bummer , the FE world lost a good one , RIP Jim

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:19:21 AM »
No doubt one of the very best racing FE builders EVER..
A huge loss..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »
Really sad to hear this, I only met Jim once at the 2009 PRI show, but came away very impressed with him, and of course have always been impressed by his engines.  He will certainly be missed.  RIP Jim.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »
Wow what a shock.  He didn’t get to enjoy retirement very long.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

ec164

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 07:52:07 PM »
Wow what a shock.  He didn’t get to enjoy retirement very long.

It's a awful shock, sad times, such a Great person! Racing world lost one of the best....

He never actually retired, he has been back at his shop a couple years, and worked Monday. He was working with huge GM dealer in Little Rock helping develop big power in new Vettes and Camaros prior to returning to Kuntz and Co.....
You're ahead in a Mercury......all the way

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »
Sad to hear it.  Jim was one of the best.  I always enjoyed the time spent with him.  Godspeed Mr. Jim.
Blair Patrick

plovett

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 05:35:00 AM »
That is too bad.  I never met him, but I remember him from way back in the Kuntz and Craft days.

paulie

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 04:00:25 PM »
Wow, I did not expect to see this on the forum today.  I did not personally know him, but I did get to meet him.  Maybe two years ago now(think just after he sold out), when I build my first engine, Kuntz Co. did the work. I got to know the crew pretty well from my few visits and one guy went to high school with my friend.  After I got it all together we decided to dyno it.  Just so happens Jim showed up with a friend with him, just after our dyno session.  After talking about my motor and things, he invited us in his room to check out some heads he was working on, and he and his friend talked to us for a good while.  I can't remember the other mans name but I do remember he spoke of his very fast FE car.  If memory serves it held some records and Kuntz built it.
Anyway, I will not forget the experience...one of the top builders and his buddy, and well known in the race scene here and they treated a couple of country boys like we were family.  it was just a great experience.
It speaks volumes for his character as did the crew he kept.  I hate to hear the news.