Author Topic: Protecting polished aluminum..  (Read 3908 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Protecting polished aluminum..
« on: December 13, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
What's the best way to protect polished aluminum from forming oxidation or surface corrosion? I've done the silver powder coating on my timing cover, and while it looks nice, polished aluminum looks better. I have some polished valve covers also,  and while they look great, they will develop a surface corrosion unless they're constantly maintained. Wax will wear off. Will a clear powder coat yellow the finish?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

mn67

• View Profile
Re: Protecting polished aluminum..
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 11:35:56 AM »
Doug,
According to Race Coatings here in MN his clear powder coat is good to 400 degrees. But fuel carb cleaner etc will stain it. What he does for a lot of guys is cermachrome, simmilar to his header coating but it certainly is not as nice as polished aluminum. Or the alternative is a lot of maintenance.
1971 Maverick Grabber

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »
Hey Doug I painted my intake with a clear coating that I got from Eastwood about 15 years ago and if dirt gets on it it wipes right off. When I’m doing carb work I do put towels down but you know fuel it ends up going where you don’t want it too and it’s hit the manifold many times. As long as I wipe it right off it’s good. I heated up the intake to get the moisture out of it let it cool and painted right after.
Look up part# 149282 now that’s Ford blue I’m sure they have clear. Also it looks like it’s updated the can has a special two chamber can that sprays better and I think it used to be good for 350 degrees and now 650.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 12:04:43 PM by Stangman »

wcbrowning

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 12:20:13 PM »
Is that Eastwood's Nyalic clear coat that you used?

Hey Doug I painted my intake with a clear coating that I got from Eastwood about 15 years ago and if dirt gets on it it wipes right off. When I’m doing carb work I do put towels down but you know fuel it ends up going where you don’t want it too and it’s hit the manifold many times. As long as I wipe it right off it’s good. I heated up the intake to get the moisture out of it let it cool and painted right after.
Look up part# 149282 now that’s Ford blue I’m sure they have clear. Also it looks like it’s updated the can has a special two chamber can that sprays better and I think it used to be good for 350 degrees and now 650.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 01:07:06 PM »
I have a ton of chrome and polished aluminum on my '67 Shelby. I had had good results with Flitz. They make a polish and a wax. It's their line for firearms. The wax is a protectant that has kept water stains and other petrolium products from permanently marring the finish. It works on chrome and my coated headers as well as plastics.
                                                                                        -Keith

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 01:13:37 PM »
Doug,
According to Race Coatings here in MN his clear powder coat is good to 400 degrees. But fuel carb cleaner etc will stain it. What he does for a lot of guys is cermachrome, simmilar to his header coating but it certainly is not as nice as polished aluminum. Or the alternative is a lot of maintenance.

I checked out their website and their ceramic coating looks much better than the typical powder coating, and would be pretty durable. Since this would be for another timing cover, the fuel staining wouldn't be an issue. I'll be getting in contact with them to see roughly how much it would cost to do a timing cover. Thanks for turning me on to them.

Joe, I've used the Eastwood clear on stuff before and was pretty happy with it. I've used it on bare aluminum stuff like alternator casings and water pumps with good results. I think I'm leaning towards the ceramic coating right now, for the durability.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 01:17:48 PM »
Keith, first of all, that is a REALLY nice looking engine and compartment!!
I'm a gun enthusiast, and I actually have some of Flitzs' polish. Good stuff. I don't have their wax though, so I may have to give that a try on my own chrome and polished aluminum. Thanks!
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »
Thank you!  By the way, the "Caution Fan" decal isn't there. I leaned on the shroud and broke it. I used the decal to hold it together while the fiberglass cured.

-Keith

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »
Dough, the wife bought the SL of a....dont know the english word for it but
he had a chadeliere in the garage and the car was standing on a persian rug.
And i think you could eat directly of the work bench. He had strapped discwasher
tablets with holes pricked in the plastic, here and there in the engine bay to absorb
moisture and told me to change them every three monts. And i must say newer
cars often have a uggly oxidaton under the hood on all the aluminium, i think there is
much sink in the alloy. But this one had not a trace of it...

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
The guy who does my chrome plating and polishing (Craig Bierman at Speed and Sport Chrome) in Houston also recommended Flitz products for maintenance. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 06:51:37 PM »
I also failed to mention one of the other benefits of Flitz is that finger prints don't show up.

-Keith

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 07:41:45 PM »
I also failed to mention one of the other benefits of Flitz is that finger prints don't show up.

-Keith

That's the big reason for using it on guns; fingerprints contain oils and acids, and is the main reason for the start of corrosion and pitting. I never even considered using it on a cars chrome and aluminum.

Heo, I do use a desiccant in the interior, but for me to try and use something similar in my garage, in the engine bay, would not last very long. I need to finish the garage, but priorities keep getting in the way ::)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 11:29:37 PM »
I gave up trying to polish and detail all my aluminum parts.Some polished parts,some hand fabbed and welded,some cast and some billet...This time round I had everything but the water pump and heads ceramic coated.Small parts,valve covers,Jays 2pc intake etc...I got it all back and fricken hated it.The finish on cast covers looked like tin foil while other parts looked good...I ended up putting everything but the lower manifold in the blast cabinet and blasting it all with glass and then pressure washed it all with hot water.Valve cover baffles were removed before blasting..

Now....all the parts have the same finish on them.They are not what I would call bright but they are easy to clean and protected for life..I think the finish looks good and I can save the Autosol for the wheels......

I will post a pick in a few days when I am finished.....
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 04:31:08 AM »

-Keith

That's the big reason for using it on guns; fingerprints contain oils and acids, and is the main reason for the start of corrosion and pitting. I never even considered using it on a cars chrome and aluminum.

Heo, I do use a desiccant in the interior, but for me to try and use something similar in my garage, in the engine bay, would not last very long. I need to finish the garage, but priorities keep getting in the way ::)

Yeah, No fingerprints on the guns is a good thing ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with the snake-oil-good Gibbs Lubricant?  With all of the infomercial pitches floating around, I'm very tempted to try it, although the skeptic in me says it's probably just a little protectant in alcohol.

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-j3CIlfhUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryN0iLEdg_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phAn6kVeQBY