Author Topic: Battery Chargers  (Read 1523 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Battery Chargers
« on: November 16, 2020, 02:05:36 PM »
In the market for a new roll around battery charger. Would rather pay a bit more and have USA made. Need something fairly robust, not just for cars and trucks but semis.

Always heard Associated where good but I don't understand there charge ratings, usually listed at 70 amp and boost. As if there is only 2 selections I usually like slow charge at say 10 amps if possible, isn't that what most battery manufactures recommend?

Any recommendations, didn't think this would be a hard choice but it is increasingly difficult to buy American these days.

Diogenes

• View Profile
Re: Battery Chargers
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 05:54:06 PM »
Check out your local NAPA store, you may do well there, especially this time of the year. They ought to have some sales flyers for them, and most NAPA stores, particularly the rural stores, serve a fair amount of farm/medium and heavy truck customers. I don't recall the brand of chargers they sell, but I think they may be US manufacturer.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 08:11:28 PM »
I bought my last 3 off CL for under 50 bucks. 2 were Daytons (Grainger house brand) and 1 from Napa. All are 12/24v and they work well. The Dayton's are what we used at work for years and they held up well charging 4 group 31's S/P on 24v. If I had to buy new I get one from Napa on sale, Grainger is usually really high unless you have a commercial account.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 09:03:23 PM »
I have a Schumacher roll around model.  3 stage.  I got it online because no stores locally had anything in stock.  Works well.
Larry

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 08:55:52 AM »
Try this website for some "Made in USA" information.
https://usamadeproducts.biz/electronics-battery-chargers.html

Be sure you type in "Made in USA" when you search, not "Made in America."

If you search "Made in America" it includes all of North America, and all of South America, because they too are "America."

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 01:50:26 PM »
Try this website for some "Made in USA" information.
https://usamadeproducts.biz/electronics-battery-chargers.html

Be sure you type in "Made in USA" when you search, not "Made in America."

If you search "Made in America" it includes all of North America, and all of South America, because they too are "America."

Unfortunately a couple of those manufactures are defunct a couple only sell very small versions. Really only leaves the Associated on that list. I have used the Pro-Charge on a multi battery marine setup, worked well.

I have a contact with an Interstate batteries distribution rep, I'll see what he has to recommend.

The old Schumachers where great but not so much these days.

Anything from Dayton from back in the day was good stuff for sure but they are Tawian these days at least in the chargers. Same with Napa, had an old charger from Napa that lasted years and years. But I think they are just rebranded Schumacher.

Even if I can't find a USA built one I know there are better brands available such as Ctek or Pro-Logics. 

After this is a USA floor jack..

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 02:56:39 PM »
I have a floor jack i found on the city dump
when i throw some stuf 30 years ago
A 2 ton Compac made in denmark
I knew they have spareparts for them so
i brought it home.It was left in extended position
i put in the handle the right way and voila i was
able to lower it ;D ;D have worked since then
Ex father in law bought a chinese one, he was able
to lift the car two times before it broke. The pump
was full of shavings that tore the seals

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 03:26:40 PM »
After this is a USA floor jack..

LOL!!!

I finally broke down this past summer and bought a HF model(I think the 3 ton version).  The two that I have are "older" POS Craftsman and tired of dealing with them.  I'll say they are 15 yrs old?  Not the better vintage Craftsman stuff.  Have to say, I'm pretty happy so far with the HF jack.  Smooth acting.

I looked around, have seen Hein Werner and they are suppose to be all that.  At $500 a pop, and mixed reviews depending on where you read I was skeptical to spend that kind of coin.
Larry

kwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »
McMaster has the USA made Associated battery charger, a little expensive but worth it in the long run. That’s what we use in our heavy equipment shop. We buy a battery charger, cheap hand truck and a 50’ extension cord, put them all together and have a really handy tool until one of the guys run it over with a tractor....