Author Topic: Ford's latest: Ecoboost V-6 prototype racer to run at Daytona  (Read 6498 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:19:08 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Joe-jdc

Re: Ford's latest: Ecoboost V-6 prototype racer to run at Daytona
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »
Do any of you folks have any real world experience with the F-150 with eco-boost and actual performance capabilities?  What fuel economy with the supercrew cab?   Towing mileage?  I messed up and got rid of my Tundra on a whim, and now I need a truck.  My last Ford, a 2005 F-150 supercrew was a total wreck from day one, and I lost a lemon law court case on it, and I bought a Tundra.  It was a great truck, 14+towing, 18+ empty with all the comforts.  I have been a ford enthusiast all my life, but now I find myself needing a new truck without the maximum tow capability, just an occasional car/trailer one way trips.  Recommendations?   Joe-JDC.

mammyjammer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »
I can't help you with real world fuel mileage numbers, but we have 3 2012 EcoBoost F-150s used in police patrols at my place of employment.
They have had 100% up time since purchase and they haul ass!!!

Kerry j

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 09:34:08 PM »
Joe, I bought a new F-150 extended cab 4X4 with 3.70 gears and the off road package back in April of 2011. I have about 60,000 miles on it now with 0 problems; it's been a great truck! It averages 16.8 MPG for around town and highway @ 85 mph. It has plenty of power to haul it's rated 11,500 lb. trailer load, but the mileage suffers when you're really working it. I'll probably get a new on in 2014 and will get another Eco Boost for sure.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 12:53:54 AM »
Do any of you folks have any real world experience with the F-150 with eco-boost and actual performance capabilities?  What fuel economy with the supercrew cab?   Towing mileage?  I messed up and got rid of my Tundra on a whim, and now I need a truck.  My last Ford, a 2005 F-150 supercrew was a total wreck from day one, and I lost a lemon law court case on it, and I bought a Tundra.  It was a great truck, 14+towing, 18+ empty with all the comforts.  I have been a ford enthusiast all my life, but now I find myself needing a new truck without the maximum tow capability, just an occasional car/trailer one way trips.  Recommendations?   Joe-JDC.

I am putting one in a '66 F100.

I did a full comparison towing my 26' trailer and without trailer with different gear ratio's to see how they would do. friend just bought one a week ago.
Mileage really depends on what gear ratio and if 2 or 4whl drive. The trucks I tested were all 2whl drive.

the 4x2 comes with a 3.15 gear std (thats what I have in project truck) they will get 22-25mpg highway if you drive them nice. in town really depends on how much stop and go. Around here combo of city highway with a lot of that bumper to bumper highway will do 18mpg

Are you looking at a 4x4?  You may be able to pull 18-19 highway or a tad better with a 4x4 depending on gear ratio and speed. The ones with max tow package and 3.73 will get much worse mileage than the avail 3.31

When I did my trailer tow test on a very windy day with the 4x2 I was getting around 7mpg but that was extreme. With a bumper pull it will be far worse mpg than if you have goosneck. prob 3-5mpg diff. A lot of variables

Joe-jdc

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 08:10:32 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Something doesn't make sense to me.  A 3.15 or 3.31 gear in a V-6 pickup?  My Tundra had the 5.7dohc/6speedauto/4.30 gear/towing pkg., and got 18 mpg combined mileage.  I would think the V-6 eco-boost would benefit from a deeper gear than even 3.73.  I don't always understand the logic of FoMoCo.  Joe-JDC.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 12:10:42 AM »
Joe, The 3.5L EcoBoost has so much torque along with the wonderful 6R80 6spd trans it easily does wonderful with the 3.15 Gearing. Another friend just bought one 2 nights ago (I helped negotiate a good deal) It also has the 3,15 gearing. Its a 4x2 Super Cab.

The tallest gear avail with the 5.0 is 3.31  The eco the 3.15 just because of the low end torque.

The tallest gear in the 3.7L is 3.55

Kind of like the new 6.7 Diesel they have a 3.31 Gear as standard.

Friend that just bought a couple days ago fresh of the transport was getting 18.5 local driving with no miles and of course a few a bit harder on throttle than needed. I would expect once its got a few miles on it and easy on throttle he should get 20 back and forth to work

I am building a '66 F100 truck using the 3.5L Ecoboost and the 3.15 Gearing I expect 25-30mpg at 60mph

3.31 gearing maybe a tad quicker but not much. 3.73 the steepest gear avail with eco thats the Max tow package.  I prefer the 3.31 or 3.15 much nicer cruising around.
The new Tremor regular cab short bed will come with a 3.5L and a 4.10 Gear set. That should be interesting I am sure will absolutely dust the last Gen lightnings.

Local guy has a Ford Flex with EcoBoost and with upgraded turbo's and some tuning is putting down 600Hp @ the wheels!

All I can say is go drive a new eco with the 3.15 gear which is standard and think you will be very impressed how well it does.  If 4x4 think tallest gear is 3.31. 

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
I don't know if it's true but it was funny about EcoBoost's
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 04:16:31 PM »
It's a V6 that runs like a V8
and when you drive it like a V8
It gets the mileage of a V8

Business owner I know ran from Jax bo Miami with a cargo trailer and doing 75mph it got less then 8mpg. But what do you expect Hp burns fuel

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 08:20:49 PM »
I dont Think the size or nr of cylinders matter that
 much
I have a 6 cyl Mercedes 3 liter 180 hp and my son
got the same car but with 4 cyl 2.3liter 130 hp
Same engine just fewer cylinders
And when i drive both of them they get exactly the
same highway milage
Takes the same Power to travel att same speed.
And the V8 mercedes 5.0 liter 328 hp my wife have
get the same highway milage when i drive it but
its more streamlined and heavier so you cant compare
them

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:23:31 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 02:00:07 PM »
Joe, don't know if this'll help but it works for me.  I have a 2010 Tacoma (4 door) with the TRD supercharger, it's my second one for a reason.  It just works.  For the occasional towing I do it's great.  With me driving the best MPG I get is about 19/20 and towing through the mountains of NC I can get as low as 10.  Of course the wife gets better mileage than I do which is probably a no brainer of course.  But with the S/C it really is a quick, good all-around truck and we've had basically zero problems with either of the two we've owned.  The dealer will try to hook you for 10k on the S/C with install but I got my last one done for 4700.

If you want to hear firsthand what they’re capable of give Rusty a call.  He and I once trailered a 56 F100 from SA up to McLaren in Detroit for John Vermeersch.  John’s on this forum isn’t he.  Heck, he might even remember, it was mighty strange looking because that F100 on the trailer looked bigger than my truck! :o

Steve
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:02:39 PM by lovehamr »

Wreckless Warren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »
Chip Gannasi's car and drivers have pretty much owned the Daytona Prototype class both when they ran Pontiac engines and then switched to BMW. Michal Shank Racing did run Fords untill last year and switched to BMW along with a few other teams.

With the new rules package for next year, Gannasi & Shank are moving to Ford next year. So it's looking like a classic Ford vs Chevy battle in that class of the new unified Sport Car Racing series in 2014. ww

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111165

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »

Hi Joe- Years ago when I met my wife she had a 2005 F-150 supercrew with the Lariat package. 4x4 with the Triton. It was a nice truck but the mileage was poor and it was kinda doggy I thought. 16-18 hwy IIRC. Now fast forward to 3 days ago. A guy that I sold some stuff to gave me a ride in his 2012 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with a V6 Ecoboost. He pulled out in front of somebody on the trip across town and had to hammer the throttle to avoid being hit. I was impressed! The thing pulled pretty hard for a V6. And way harder than the 2005 my wife had. He said it gets around 18 in town and 23 hwy. Keep in mind this is all at 4600' elevation. I would expect a bit more mileage at sea level.  I'll take one with the King Ranch package any day.  ;D
Kevin McCullah

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 10:05:20 PM »
Look at the torque curve on the 3.5 ecoboost. It makes diesel like torque at 2000 rpms. Compare it to a 5.0 or 6.2 and you have to get them up to 3500 plus rpm to make the same torque as the 3.5 does at 2000. Turbos and direct injection are a big advancement for gasoline powered vehicles. Jim

Joe-jdc

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  After much deliberation and checking out the different models, I went back with what I know worked for me.  I bought a 2014 Platinum Tundra today, with tow pkg, and all the bells and whistles.  Rides better than a Cadillac and has lots more room, and is quiter than the Avalon.  I still have my '70 GT-500 I bought new, and a Mustng GT for my Ford fixes.   ;D  Joe-JDC