Author Topic: Pro-Gram-Engineering main caps?  (Read 10793 times)

fe66comet

Re: Pro-Gram-Engineering main caps?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »
Eh no the block is fine, bone stock when I got it. Smoked, that's all was original bore has original stampings. I guess that is all for the original subject ( main caps so I"LL take it as it is).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:27:41 PM by fe66comet »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »
First, the front and rear caps are not cross-bolted. Stock front/rear caps are always used in conjunction with the middle cross-bolt caps. So I can't figure out why anything would say or suggest that the front and rear cap are more expensive than the middles. UNLESS they are billet caps or something of that nature, which really isn't needed.

Second, if you can produce carbon fiber body panels that weigh less than the paint itself, then you have discovered something that nobody else has and you will soon be a multi-billionaire. Carbon fiber is light, but it ain't that light.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »
I have never seen a billet rear cap, other than on an aftermarket Genesis block, but I had billet caps put on my 427 center oiler block, and that included the number 1 cap. It was billet, but just a 2 bolt cap. They were not Pro-Gram caps, but I understand they have them available, but like others said, if they cost that much, just use the stock number 1 and 5 and retrofit the 2, 3, and 4 cross bolted caps.

It will end up costing a grand or so, 350 for the caps and then the rest for machining, fitting, and the line bore. It is pretty labor intensive and you better have a good machinist that is a perfectionist, and has done it before.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

fe66comet

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 06:51:36 PM »
The caps I saw were made by the same company PRO-GRAM ENGINEERING F427FE-F and I was stating that I could not find any pics on them or further info? The carbon fiber thing I never stated it was lighter than paint so I have no idea where that came from? I guess I need to state less and ask elsewhere. I am out of here the hostility is too much.     
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 07:09:13 PM by fe66comet »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »
You cut the largest areas of the panels out and install a .032 panel in its place. The paint ends up being more than the panel itself. By modern standards fiberglass is heavy. I plan on skinning most of the body along with single stage paint, no clear coat to add another 20-40 lbs.

Hostility??? Huh??
You can read your post above. It certainly seemed to suggest that the paint would be heavier than the carbon fiber. Am I reading it wrong? The billionaire remark was a joke because there is no way to produce a panel that weighs less than paint.

As for the caps, I was just pointing out an obvious error about the front and rear cap being quoted as being so expensive compared to the middle caps. Typically the only caps offered for the aftermarket cross-bolt are the middle caps and the stock ones are used for the end caps.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe