Author Topic: Time for some upgrades....  (Read 18135 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Time for some upgrades....
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2019, 01:04:58 PM »
I think everyone is doing the same Joe.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »
That intake lobe is super aggressive.  The exhaust lobe, not so much.   The intake lobe is asymmetrical, opening the valve super fast, then setting it down gently.   The exhaust lobe is symmetrical and isn't as rough as the intake valve.  You'd need a lot of open pressure on the intake side and a lot of closed pressure on both valves to make sure they don't float. 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:58:40 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2019, 07:35:37 AM »
I hadn't gone through the lobe choice but did this morning.  I bet you are losing control of the intake, the exhaust is a quite a bit more controllable, and pieces are likely lighter.  If you have the dyno information it would be usable.

Always easy to armchair quarterback, and only meant to be helpful, but I think something like a Comp Hi-tech intake lobe at 300/262 and spreading the centers to keep overlap where you are now would have let it hold on longer. 

For that matter, if your old cam was close, rocking centerline back might have even let it hang in there.  That is assuming the heavy intake side is losing control.  Seems logical though with the XX intake lobe and a relatively heavy FE valvetrain.

My gut tells me though, don't just run it until you figure out if it is floating, that's pretty rough on parts.  Maybe a little spring pressure, maybe a cam swap, maybe a spring swap, lots of options
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2019, 09:35:48 PM »
Ok, here's a little update.   The springs are more then adequate for the cam, I confirmed that.

I raced it today.  HP numbers aren't everything.  First pass out it went 10.69 @ 124 mph.  Yes, 3 tenths faster and 2 mph.   Ran like a swiss watch, no issues.   I made 2 TT and went 4 rounds(semi finals).  The 60 ft is 1.40, which is .1 faster then its best ever.  I'm sure there is more in it with some chassis tuning.  The added power at the 5K range really takes it out harder then ever before( had to lower/tighten wheelie bars because it was really standing up).  I typically leave at 5K, so that works perfect.  Though everyone asks what I leave at because they think it's 6500 or higher!!!   With no two step, its just up there and sounds much worse then it is. 

I still shift at 6500, though one pass I did stretch it up near 7K because I knew I was a bit late and was trying to make up some ground.  I did win, as I finally got to play the "faster" car and pushed my opponent .02 under!!

Overall a great day.  Engine is happy.   No noises, oil is clean.  Can't wait for 2 weeks for next race.  I'm back with a vengeance and had quite the cheering section(like usual).

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:40:53 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
Glad you had a great day at the races.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2019, 07:28:24 AM »
Ok, here's a little update.   The springs are more then adequate for the cam, I confirmed that.

I raced it today.  HP numbers aren't everything.  First pass out it went 10.69 @ 124 mph.  Yes, 3 tenths faster and 2 mph.   Ran like a swiss watch, no issues.   I made 2 TT and went 4 rounds(semi finals).  The 60 ft is 1.40, which is .1 faster then its best ever.  I'm sure there is more in it with some chassis tuning.  The added power at the 5K range really takes it out harder then ever before( had to lower/tighten wheelie bars because it was really standing up).  I typically leave at 5K, so that works perfect.  Though everyone asks what I leave at because they think it's 6500 or higher!!!   With no two step, its just up there and sounds much worse then it is. 

I still shift at 6500, though one pass I did stretch it up near 7K because I knew I was a bit late and was trying to make up some ground.  I did win, as I finally got to play the "faster" car and pushed my opponent .02 under!!

Overall a great day.  Engine is happy.   No noises, oil is clean.  Can't wait for 2 weeks for next race.  I'm back with a vengeance and had quite the cheering section(like usual).

That's awesome, goes to show you that the combo matters, sounds like you have a good match to planned use
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2019, 11:48:51 AM »
Excellent Larry it’s great when a plan comes together. I agree you can dyno all you want, the track doesn’t lie. ;)

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2019, 01:18:26 PM »
Congrats Larry.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2019, 05:34:35 PM »
Excellent Larry it’s great when a plan comes together. I agree you can dyno all you want, the track doesn’t lie. ;)

Yes.  Was originally kinda bummed last weekend but knew the track would tell the story.  That is why I was slow in updating this post.
Larry

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2019, 07:01:52 PM »
You could probably play around on the Wallace calculator and figure out how much horsepower it would take to gain 3 tenths of a second. What was your fastest time and MPH and weight of your car with the previous motor. Even if the horsepower is off you might be able to figure out how much more you got with new motor. When I use it it seems like my horsepower is low. But regardless if there is a change you can see what it is.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:07:46 PM by Stangman »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2019, 07:44:16 PM »
Peak HP isnt everything.  That is why mine picked up with an increase in mid range power and not muck peak.
Larry

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »
Got another weekend of abuse on it.  Though it got rained out after the end of first round.  I had won it, so that was a good thing and since the round was completed the points stay.

Traction was horrible and it took me a while to figure it out.  With the increase of power through mid-range, I had to leave even lower then usual. I was down to 4000 rpm to get the car to leave strong.  No bog, that's for sure.  Still 1.41 sixty foot.  Low 6.8's and 99 mph.
Larry

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »
Very cool results Larry!  ;)
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2019, 09:52:57 PM »
Attaboy Larry!  Looking forward to seeing it at the next FERR.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2019, 02:20:38 PM »
Jay, that's like 7 months away.........but here before we know it.

Only two more weeks of racing and it all comes to a close for 2019..... :-[
Larry