Author Topic: new points backwards  (Read 1029 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
new points backwards
« on: June 30, 2022, 09:38:26 PM »
i just bought some new points at autozone and when i got home to install them i noticed they bolt up the same but the contact that opens and closes is on the opposite end of the points.will they work or did they give me the wrong ones. if you lay the new ones flat on a table beside the old ones they are facing different directions.they look like they would work but they line up on the next hump on the shaft.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

allrightmike

• View Profile
Re: new points backwards
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 09:42:57 AM »
Could have been miss boxed. I worked at a parts store years ago and when the store would change brands a crew would come in and re box the parts, of course they didn't always get it right.

Phil Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 10:43:31 AM »
If I remember correctly the ford dual point distributor used a set of points that are just like points out of a six-cylinder only reversed. Is that what your working with ?

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 10:48:28 AM »
F1090MV Duralast is the part number.i cant do links but if you look up this part number it shows a pic of the backwards points.they are backwards in the pic and it says they meet or improve quality,and design.i think they turned them around for ease of setting them.the new ones you can set easier because the contact is now toward the front of the dist instead of the rear
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 12:20:30 PM »
Just spitballing here, but if you put reversed points into a distributor not designed for them, wouldn't it throw the timing way off? Or possibly not fire at all.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 12:46:03 PM »
You have 6cyl points. I think you need f1094mv. Auto zone has the worst website ever.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 12:49:01 PM »
you can see in the pic they are turned around compared to old ones. the piece on the back of the points that hits the dist cam on the shaft is in the right place to open compared to the old ones.i think they are purposely made this way.they say it fits 300-360-390 engines

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 12:59:05 PM »
should i try them or take them back.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 01:05:07 PM »
i called autozone your right i need 1094 instead of 1090 but the website says either will work.i guess i will go swap them.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 07:01:50 PM »
The reason that the 240/300 I6, points mount the way they do, is because that eng dist, turns CW. The FE turns CCW.

The reservoir for lubing rubbing block, is behind (back side) the block and that's why they are opposite to each other.
Frank

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 06:53:05 AM »
i called autozone your right i need 1094 instead of 1090 but the website says either will work.i guess i will go swap them.

The number of errors most auto parts store computers have, in regards to our old vehicle needs, is astounding.
Unfortunately the store clerk does not know any different, unless they happen to be expert in 50+ year old car parts, so they are relegated to telling you what the computer tells them.

Because the errors are not the fault of the clerk I do my best to help them whenever I can.

This almost always results in me doing some, or a bunch of, research for the items I am seeking in order to get the right parts the first time.

The part I find most frustrating is the lack of any change when something is found, and proven, to be wrong.

One person I grew up with, and has been a parts tech for his whole career (he works for a company that supplies parts to the store supplier) talks about some reasons why this stuff happens.
The suppliers are always trying to make multi-application parts instead of specific fit parts.

If there is any possibility of building a more universal version they will go that route, which often results in certain specifics being lost in the process.

As a side note I suggest you look close at the points you intend to install....in every aspect and detail, to ensure they will do the job properly.
I know, from direct experience, the modern replacement points often have tiny details that make the points require modification out of the box in order to work well.

One example is the chrome plating on the mounting frame being so hard the mounting screw can not hold the points in place because the screw can not bite, or clamp, the smooth hard chrome tight enough.

Scuff the chrome right at the screw contact point and suddenly that set of points stays put for the life of those points.....Install them out of the box and that set of points needs constant attention because they never hold a set gap for very long.