Author Topic: Switch from McLeod to Ram  (Read 1696 times)

Pentroof

• View Profile
Switch from McLeod to Ram
« on: July 29, 2019, 06:35:46 PM »
My McLeod organic/ceramic clutch finally needed to go. It was starting to chatter and it turns out something was bouncing around, as the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel had little gouges in their surfaces.

The throwout bearing was shot and one of the spring clips was missing...possible cause of the indications. That pressure plate never really fit right in my mind and needed to be adjusted all the way to the end of the adjustment rod from the beginning.

Bought a Ram pressure plate and Powergrip clutch from Brent and installed it last weekend. Plenty of adjustment on the stock rod to put the throwout surface at the right gap. Finally got to take the car out this weekend for some very mild break-in miles. I have to say, the light pedal feel is a nice change for a street car. I never thought much of Ram as compared to McLeod, but the feel of this setup is nice so far. I need to get a lot more local miles on it to break it in before I can hammer it in 4th to make sure the 428 won’t drive through it. I’m sure it won’t, but I can’t get it through my head that a setup with this feel will hold the power too.
Jim

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Switch from McLeod to Ram
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »
I am a RAM clutch fan.

That setup should handle more than the McLeod setup.  A sintered iron friction material has a lot more grip than a sintered bronze, so what that pressure plate lacks in clamping force, it gains in disc friction.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 07:50:58 AM »
Lever height is everything.  Even the slightest difference will make your adjustment go way out.
I've found it is super critical with guys running cable clutches.  Very little room for freeplay and you need to have the levers just a touch lower to gain room in the bellhousing.  That pivot ball on the opposite side really takes up room, unlike the old mechanical linkage style bell.

The more aggressive the material, the less clamping force it takes to hold it.  Also the more surface material(like a twin disc), the less clamping force needed.

I used to run a RAM unit for years in the wagon.   They got to be a PITA to deal with and found my local guy(Tim Hyatt) in 2006 and never looked back.  I got work done in hours, not months.  I could call for tech assistance any time day/night.  Not just from 11-12 am on alternating Wednesdays on months that don't end in "Y".   

BTW, that bronze material is likely why it was go grabby.  I tried that in the wagon a few years back(on the pressure plate).  I switched it back to steel heat shield to soften the bite.
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 08:01:09 AM »
The sintered iron discs seem to be more forgiving on the street.  To this day, with all that I've sold, I've never heard anyone say "This clutch chatters", even with the HD series kits that have sintered iron on both sides.

I setup adjustable clutches for drag race guys and still choose to use RAM.  I just like their selection of parts better.   If I need advice on something, I can email the owner of the company directly.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:53:36 AM »
RAM was actually from Canton, Ohio.  I remember the shop way back in the early 80's before they moved south. 

I don't know the pecking order, but Mike was who I used to talk to.  I get it, I would bet if they don't cut the time short on "tech", he could talk all day to endless calls.  But that really puts a hindrance to customer service.  I didn't call much, other then in the winter when I was getting it serviced.

When Tim Hyatt first did my clutch I asked how long it would take.   He told me 3-4.  I said "months"?  He laughed and said "Days".   That was all it took to change providers.  Now with Chris taking over after Tim's passing, I drive up to his house, spend an afternoon and bring it back home all redone.
Larry

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 11:54:40 AM »
Larry, does Tim Hyatts son do a comparable job to his Dad? I have been running McLeod Soft Lok clutches in my SBF and FE race cars for many years, but shipping the clutches down to Southern California for rebuilds was a PITA, so I had been taking my clutches and scattershields to the NHRA National event at Seattle WA, and dropping them off at the Hyatt Racing trailer for Tim to freshen up and recertify. But since Tims death, there is no more Hyatt truck at the big races. Do you know if Tims son can still recertify scattershields?
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »
Far as I know, Chris can recert a bell.  Might have to confirm that, but likely so.

It's tragic losing Tim, just after he got his new shop set up.  We had a big Xmas party blow out and a couple weeks later, bam.

Try Chris:  cell 440-477-4053

He still works full time at his regular job(Hemly Tool), but does clutches on the side.
Larry