Poll

Why don't I put an SOHC in my car?

Cost of building the engine is too high
63 (77.8%)
Complexity of the engine is too great
2 (2.5%)
Doesn't fit in the vehicles I like (e.g. shock tower interference)
7 (8.6%)
Spotty availability of the parts
4 (4.9%)
It wouldn't be original to the vehicle
0 (0%)
Not interested in aftermarket SOHC components, only factory Ford parts
1 (1.2%)
Concerns about the engine's reliability
0 (0%)
Other (please specify)
4 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Why aren't more people building SOHCs?  (Read 28661 times)

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Re: Why aren't more people building SOHCs?
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 10:26:42 PM »
It's been about 5-6 years since the aftermarket started stepping up with SOHC parts, so that it would be possible to build a complete SOHC engine from aftermarket parts.  The SOHC is definitely the king of the FE engines, and I for one figured that we would start to see a whole bunch of them in various 1960s Ford vehicles once the aftermarket parts became available.  There certainly are more of them out there than there used to be, but not as many as I figured there would be by now.  What gives?  Why aren't more people building these killer engines?  I posted the poll above to try to get an idea of what people are thinking on this.  If you have a different reason than those listed, please post in this thread to explain.  I'm very curious about this...

With out a doubt if the cost was not what it is I would have a SOHC in my pickup or other ford~mercury product.

My 2nd choice would be a Boss9

My 482 cost in excess of 12k to build and that was in 2009 $$  All that for 500 something HP

Back in 1992 I build a 700hp daily driver 460 for well under 10k

I currently have a half dozen FE's

I am currently doing a  v-6 that will put down same power to the wheels as my 482 for fraction of the cost (roughly 1/3) & get over 20mpg doing it.

I will probably always own a FE but HP per $$ is very high.

chris401

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 12:14:06 AM »
Cash and priorities never seem to balance out here. If circumstances allowed I could see first year soch in same year Galaxie.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 05:24:06 AM »
For me its the cost factor, although I have dropped 18Gs on my Harley bobber project the last 4yrs. A medical setback 4 yrs ago didn`t help either. If time and money permit maybe I`ll have one. Right now I`ll just mess with my 4 medrisers and my TP engines.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »
Yes, the poll Jay should have allowed multiple answers. For me, it's the top 3. Cost-wise, I'll venture that a crate cammer would easily top $30K and likely approach $40K. That's a lot of beans! 

Unless one has a older full-size Ford body, it won't fit w/o serious hacking in later unibody cars.

I've commented here before (and our current poster's need for your expert cam timing help verifies this) that a book detailing how-to-assemble a SOHC, especially the front dress issues, would be a winner. That and a tutorial, as you  already did here on-line) on how-to correctly set cam timing and not bend valves!

Last, I agree with others there that I can buy a killer, ready-to-run 385 series BBF (with or without those cool Kaase Boss 429 heads) that will easily do 800+ hp at 555 CID.  Kaase's $22,900 price for a running, carb-equipped Boss 9 is hard to beat.

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/component/content/article/217-jon-kaase-custom-built-boss-nine-and-p-51-engines.html

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:59:25 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »
They are awesome engines and i would absolutely love to have one.. but i'm not doubling the build price of an already expensive engine to get to one.

And i may be wrong but it was my understanding that you were looking at 35-45k just to get in the game..   Which for that price you are talking a bout a straight up racing engine of a wedge motor.

How much does something like the 950hp setup you build cost to build?  Does it start to come back towards what it costs to build a 950hp 385 series?  which i know approaches  astronomical prices at that point as well.

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 08:19:59 AM »
For me, I grew up with 390 Fairlanes, and wedge head 427s fit into my Fairlane chassis the same as the original 390.  Cost is certainly a big factor as well.  What I would like to do, if I could afford the cost and time, would be to build a blown cammer and put it in a nostalgia front engine dragster, running on methanol...maybe a clone of the Don P-shoed Shelby Super Snake.  Build it to fit the rules for Meltdown Drags and other vintage events.

But today, even if I had one, I have no vehicles that I can fit it in except for my F250.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 08:47:03 AM »
I chose cost, but not in the sense that I think parts prices are out of line. It's just too much money for my family's budget to absorb. If I had multiple picks, I might have added "availability of parts" and "reliability" too. Any engine I might build is going to get driven, lots, and I can't even imagine trying to source replacement parts for a "cammer" when you are broken down on the side of the road. I do have a soft spot for the FE as I worked on them from the mid-60's to the late 80's (when I actually turned wrenches for a living) but any FE (especially a SOHC) has climbed out of our price range. There has been an FE planned for my '58 F-100 for years but never the wherewithal, or necessity, to start building it. I had to leave my "donor" 390/C6 behind when I moved to GA and, now that it's time, I think the new plan is going to revolve around a 351W. The initial cost will be lower, fuel mileage should be better, and availability of replacement parts at any local parts store is easier. Not what I'd really like to have, but it will certainly fit my budget better. I keep hoping I'll trip over that "undiscovered" FE that I can afford to build but, even if I do, it's still an extra $1k to bolt up an AOD transmission.

Lou
Lou Manglass
Proud owner of "The Magic Ratchet"

Dave427SOHC

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »
Cost is #1 with the economy the way it is and the cost of living riseing and paying for those who dont want to work, How can most average 50K-60k a year average joe afford a SOHC? I have been gathering parts when I can afford them yes my dream of a sohc will come true someday Its YIWORK Ha seriously the house and the kid come first.. So my plan is a 63.5-64-65 Galaxie with a SOHC I thought i would be further along than I am but thats not the case I been living through some of you  ;D anyways @ 20-25k for just the parts to build the engine that cost is why i dont have a completed project.

BigNate

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 09:28:45 AM »
I'll give you my reasons and weight them (1-10 - totally subjective):

Rank... Description................................... Weight
1.........Cost................................................10
2.........Complexity - don't have time...............2
3.........Parts availability (lack of variety)..........2
4.........Unknown Territory*............................1
*(no guts to take on a custom fit solution)

Just my 2 cents...
Arrrrg.... LOL  My sig line everywhere else is somewhat political... Will that get me kicked?

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 12:33:03 PM »
This is my view i have been luckey Phil Fair lived about ten miles from me for a few years. I was able to work on some cammers with him so i know a little about them.They have a wow factor when you open the hood thats hard to beat but cost to much to build  i like all the fe power. But the bang for the buck just aint their for me.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 02:44:05 PM »
Cost for me too.  I don't even have a 427 block, but I am happy with my 445 stroker, fits my application perfectly.  Plenty strong and reasonable on the cost end (well, when you add up everything else I've done to the Gal maybe not so much :P).

Given my addictive personality, the SOHC would lead to "what should I put it in"? and so on.  I'd be shopping Fairlanes, whacking shock towers and writing checks.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »
Cost for me too.  I don't even have a 427 block, but I am happy with my 445 stroker, fits my application perfectly.  Plenty strong and reasonable on the cost end (well, when you add up everything else I've done to the Gal maybe not so much :P).

Given my addictive personality, the SOHC would lead to "what should I put it in"? and so on.  I'd be shopping Fairlanes, whacking shock towers and writing checks.

you and i have the same personality... which is why my 427 stroker with a t-56 is in danger of becoming twin turbo with a lenco.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »
You are part of the reason Jay!    reading of your SOHC exploits taught me that the SOHC is one complex hombre.  EVERYTHING you listed in the survey is certainly and extremely relevant and in what order is more related to the way the wind blows that week. 
To its credit the FORD FE SOHC is truly a COOL oddball. None of the other big three ever even brought an over head cam big block complex engine to production let alone to the point it was raced and of course won.
Honestly I have problems understanding why the FE Tunnel Ports never took off with aftermarket parts in recent times other then perhaps the power is not there compared to what can be had from a standard wedge today.

Looking at the reality of it Jay you are the only one,  I believe that has ever even showed up at Drag Week with a Ford SOHC. The Bang for the buck is terrible. Simply throw down the Boss 429 card w/ the Mountain Motor option....

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2014, 05:56:29 PM »
My take is a little different.
When I went from 390's to 427's, a natural progression, cars went faster...BUT...the fun level didn't rise in a linear fashion. Always in the back of my mind was the fact that if I bust this thing it's gonna hurt the 'ol wallet exponentially. Kind'a sucks the fun out'a the project. I could probably afford one, but I'd be so nervous about it come'n apart I'd think of reasons not to drive it.

My pal SOHCLane has a blown cammer in his '63 Fairlane. Once you see one apart it isn't really intimidating at all...especially next to the cammer Mercedes V8's I've been working on for over 30 years. The Ford SOHC is a really well thought out kit on the 427 Wedge, and the parts are really cool '60's tech. Reliability shouldn't be a concern. BTW, the original non-adjustable rocker arms with different thickness shims to set lash are by-a-wide-margin the most reliable system ever used, and MANY European cars used, and still use this system that rarely, if ever, need to be adjusted in the life span of an engine. It is a shame that due to laziness that the cammer de-volved to the elephant foot adjustable.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
I have 2 complete 427 SO Medium Riser engines that are all Ford from the oval air-cleaners down to the factory deep sump pans,

How long did it take you to collect the parts for those two?

Mark, I've had all my 427 parts and spare pieces for well over 25 years (same with all the NOS parts on my Mach). I started buying the stuff back when it wasn't so difficult to find at swap meets and was still affordable....back when the 427s were still the "forgotten engine". I was just a young punk then :)  I had a huge influence on me as a kid with a couple of local guys who were die-hard FE guys and were running them when everybody else had forgotten about them. Except for flatheads when I was a youngster, the FE has always been my favorite engine every since I can remember. Wouldn't have it any other way!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe