Author Topic: Anyone familiar with Pipemax?  (Read 1346 times)

chilly460

• View Profile
Anyone familiar with Pipemax?
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:25:19 AM »
I did a search and found some hits on Pipemax but the content was directed mostly to header design (as is the intent of the program). 

I'm fiddling around now trying to iron out some requirements for the 416ci build I'm working on.   I'd already roughed in the intake port work when I got curious about trying to optimize CSA and throat diameter and port speed.  I should have done this before starting the port work, but I sort of stumbled on the info as I went.  Originally I was just looking to knock out the ugly bits in the ports. 

Anyway, I started using Pipemax to try to model airflow requirements, airspeed, minimum CSA, etc.  It just seems odd to me that you don't input any airflow for the program, it just uses VE at a certain displacement and RPM and delivers Tq/HP, and computes the airflow requirement. 

Every time I model a combo, seems that the airflow requirements are very low unless I crank up the VE to "race engine" type numbers 105-110%.  I realize that full optimized combos can pull 550hp out of 250cfm of intake flow, but from what I've seen, that's a really optimized combo that would usually use a good bit of cam and compression.  The program takes cam and compression into consideration, though.  I do understand that the program is taking carb and intake flow into consideration as well, which I don't have any way of guessing/measuring right now.   I want to see, for instance, how power would be impacted by going from say 275cfm to 300cfm at .600" valve lift, but basically there's no way in Pipemax to do that, as I see it.  You can fudge the VE numbers and then that will adjust the airflow requirements so I suppose that's a way to back into it. 

So, am I on the right track here, or missing some function in the program where you can input flow numbers? 

I will say, I plugged in a build I had dyno'd years ago, and it hit the hp and tq numbers to 1%.  The heads flowed quite a bit more than the airflow requirement shown in the program, but there again it's assuming airflow through carb and intake. 

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Anyone familiar with Pipemax?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 06:02:50 PM »
I have not had great luck with Pipemax.  For my 585" SOHC it wanted huge diameter header primary tubes (2-1/4" stepped to 2-1/2" if I recall correctly), but on the dyno I picked up power going from 2-1/8" stepped to 2-3/8" down to 2" stepped to 2-1/4".  Also, the induction tract length that it calculated with the Hilborn setup was off by at least 3"; again I was able to cut the tubes and optimize this on the dyno, and compared to what Pipemax predicted the tubes were shorter for best horsepower.  Pipemax is an interesting tool, but I'd take the recommendations with a grain of salt...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:24:13 PM »
Thanks for the info.  It's not an expensive program so I'm not too upset with the purchase, but it isn't exactly what I had in mind.  It did get me more interested in trying to calculate CSA and air speed through the port and match that to application so in that light, it was worth the purchase price.   

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
Thanks for the info.  It's not an expensive program so I'm not too upset with the purchase, but it isn't exactly what I had in mind.  It did get me more interested in trying to calculate CSA and air speed through the port and match that to application so in that light, it was worth the purchase price.

I use pipemax in combination with Dyno software
From Motion Software. I have found it to
Be very accurate. Of course it’s only as good as inputs made.

Will soon find out as I made a change to my
NOS Tunnel Wedge Intake that was showing a
40 HP gain on my 482.