Author Topic: Hey Jay how about a v12 SOHC FE?  (Read 22076 times)

BH107

• View Profile
Re: Hey Jay how about a v12 SOHC FE?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 12:51:22 PM »
There is actually a Ford GAA engine up for sale on Ebay!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-GAA-GAF-V8-Sherman-Tank-Engine-Blocks-and-Parts-/261539470162?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3ce4f79b52&vxp=mtr

I've had my hands on those engines...really a sad story.

An old man supposedly had a huge barn full of good stuff that burned down in one of the big San Diego fires. Well lets just say he stretched the truth a little on his insurance claim, but he got a big chunk of money. He went and bought all kinds of stuff, but with nowhere to put it he loaded up a couple of hangers at the local airport. He tinkered for a couple more years, and then passed away.

One of his nephews was left with all of the stuff, and I helped him identify and sell some of it. There was hot rod parts, air plane parts, motorcycle parts, machine parts.... you name it his uncle had collected it. None of it was real nice, but he had replaced some of his collection. There was a Boss 302 block and heads, some 428 parts, and a jung 427 MR mixed in with all of it.

The sad thing about the tank engines was there was 3 times what is listed in the ebay ad, all in spare parts crates. The nephew got behind on the hanger rent and just started hauling stuff off in trailers. Before he could get it all out the landlords locked up the building and took the engines listed on ebay as collateral against the back rent. The nephew decided he would never get them back, so he scrapped all of the missing and spare parts that went with those engines.

chris401

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2014, 02:24:58 AM »
I had a VW bug with a GM turbo 425 transaxle and Buick 455 in it. I robbed the trans from a Toronado and bolted a Buick I had laying around to it, it killed the car when the fuel pump failed and decided an engine in the passenger compartment was a bad idea LOL. It at the time was cool to hear the four barrels kick in while running down the track, it still makes me giggle to think how stupid it was.
Ha, So it does work. Got coworkers going when I sujested to one to do that to his 65 bug.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »
There is actually a Ford GAA engine up for sale on Ebay!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-GAA-GAF-V8-Sherman-Tank-Engine-Blocks-and-Parts-/261539470162?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3ce4f79b52&vxp=mtr

I've had my hands on those engines...really a sad story.

An old man supposedly had a huge barn full of good stuff that burned down in one of the big San Diego fires. Well lets just say he stretched the truth a little on his insurance claim, but he got a big chunk of money. He went and bought all kinds of stuff, but with nowhere to put it he loaded up a couple of hangers at the local airport. He tinkered for a couple more years, and then passed away.

One of his nephews was left with all of the stuff, and I helped him identify and sell some of it. There was hot rod parts, air plane parts, motorcycle parts, machine parts.... you name it his uncle had collected it. None of it was real nice, but he had replaced some of his collection. There was a Boss 302 block and heads, some 428 parts, and a jung 427 MR mixed in with all of it.

The sad thing about the tank engines was there was 3 times what is listed in the ebay ad, all in spare parts crates. The nephew got behind on the hanger rent and just started hauling stuff off in trailers. Before he could get it all out the landlords locked up the building and took the engines listed on ebay as collateral against the back rent. The nephew decided he would never get them back, so he scrapped all of the missing and spare parts that went with those engines.
   In engineering school, I spent a lot of time in the wind tunnel labs and associated machine shops.  A few years before I got there, they re-powered the main subsonic wind tunnel with an electric drive.  The previous engine was a Packard Merlin V-12.  Low hours.  Beautifully maintained.

They dismantled and threw that engine in the trash!  :o    Oh man if I could go back to that day...
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

fe66comet

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
There are still a lot of military Cadillac and Continental military engines out there. I have a Continental 80 HP 4 cylinder air craft engine built in the 1920s laying around. It was rebuilt and certified just before I got it, a freebie for disposing of the kit air plane it was in and never registered. I have entertained the thought of making a fan boat out of it but probably will get rid of it eventually.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2014, 03:15:53 PM »
If you're going to go to all the trouble of building a v12, you might as well go with a V16. They are better balanced, and sound WAY cooler, more like a V8, or a pair of them anyway.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3syL4SF-3g

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
There was a 16 cylinder 1st gen camaro at SEMA this year. It was at least 12 L
All fit under the hood. I know its a chevy but was neat engineering