Author Topic: Getting .... W .... err Mild... or 390/445 build version 3.0  (Read 611 times)

DuckRyder

• View Profile
Getting .... W .... err Mild... or 390/445 build version 3.0
« on: December 11, 2022, 11:49:38 AM »
It is in a 72 F100 2wd, backed by a C6 and a 3.50:1 gear on ~26.5 tall tires.

So background i built a 390 from a 360 and lost a bearing, i rebuilt it as a 445. It also has a Holley Terminator Stealth EFI and Hooker headers.

When i originally built it i had the stock C8AE-H heads extensively reworked with CJ valves and so forth but this brought the combustion chamber down to 65-66cc I also used a FPA aluminum CJ intake (i think it is a rebranded Blue Thunder) this of course creates a port mismatch. I also put in a Crower solid roller it is a 280R "street roller" and Erson rockers, it has HIPPO lifters. I reused all of this on the 445 build.

I'm pretty happy with the cam and build except that the adjusters on the ersons keep wearing rather dramatically and the idle needs to be higher than i would like. It does sound nice. However i no longer really care if it has any lope. I suspect the spring pressures (which are very high are at least partially (if not entirely) responsible for the wear on the rocker adjusters, plus i really don't want to adjust them anymore.

The original build was at 10.6:1 with 1020s and the 445 is at 10.6ish with the thicker felpros. it is somewhat sensitive to total advance over 34ish and ping.

I had it chassis dynoed as a 390 and was pretty disappointed, however we do now know that it was sick at the time...

I am now here looking for ideas about how to proceed with some modifications to the build with the goal of simplifying the whole thing, i and thinking hydraulic roller, i'm really not seriously opposed to changing the heads but if i could get the DCR and idle under control with the existing ones that'd be nice. Cost within reason isn't a huge issue.

I'm also thinking of using a stock "S" intake (i have it) and the (dismal) factory exhaust manifolds. I just want to put it together one last time and forget about the engine part of the project. I have even considered a flat tappet and stock rocker arms.

So what are the collectives ideas about a very mild rework for an automatic truck? How bad power wise am i going to shoot myself in the foot with the factory manifolds... can i get 350hp out of it?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 02:59:17 PM by DuckRyder »
Robert

482supersnake

• View Profile
Re: Getting .... W .... err Mild... or 390/445 build version 3.0
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 12:25:01 PM »
I would go with at least an Edelbrock head and fill the intake runner on the manifold with epoxy.  Also you can get the repo 406 shorty headers instead of the factory log manifolds.  Get a hydraulic roller and you should be good to go.

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 02:13:40 PM »
Many years ago when Scott Vincent (he was active on the old FE Forum at the time, haven't seen anything from him in quite some time) ported the heads and intake he filled the bottom of the ports and matched them. The last time i pulled the intake before the 445 build several of them were gone and i removed the rest... (id have to look back and see how many were actually gone).

I'm a little dubious about the Epoxy for this reason...

406 shorty advice noted...
Robert

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 02:57:39 PM »
The floor of that intake manifold is really not important if the hump just before the pushrod tube holes is still there.  The flow will not be affected into the "H" heads since most of the flow in the intake manifold is at the roof where the intake meets the heads.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 03:55:18 PM »
Thanks Joe.

So E heads, use the FPA Intake, Shorty headers...

Guess is gotta go do some math and see where that gets me on the DC with he E-heads and see if i can get away with something like a comp XR270HR or 280HR. Suspect ill have the change the converter for the 280, that's part of the problem now...

Robert

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 05:49:03 PM »
Drat, gotta hunt up a windows box to run the DCR calc...

In everyone's experience how close are the E-Heads to 72cc out of the box? (I have actually CCed mine)
Robert

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 09:38:25 PM »
Using the wallace calculators i get 9.9 static with 72cc heads and 8.16 DCR with a 270HR @106 (my current 280R is at 110 which gives me a 8.18 DCR)

I don't know when it got so hard to find a cam card online...

So the milder cam might be about the same but the ALU and better chamber shapes might help...  :-\

Robert