Author Topic: Who uses Venmo?  (Read 619 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Who uses Venmo?
« on: May 06, 2024, 01:15:40 PM »
Got a guy who wants to buy some parts from me @ $4000 but wants to use Venmo. Says he can only make the payment via Venmo. He has sent me a driver's license photo with him and a newspaper from yesterday with date. If I accept the payment, will Venmo hit me up with tax papers or fees? I've used Paypal successfully since 1999 but he doesn't use it.

Thanks,
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: Who uses Venmo?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 02:06:56 PM »
That's a huge red flag!  One common Venmo scam is to pay somebody using stolen credit cards.  All is good until the charges get reversed and you're the one holding the bag.

If somebody says they will only use one payment method, and you can't meet them in person, run away!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 02:24:00 PM »
I take Venmo and haven't seen any taxes or fees requested, but my stuff is all reported.

I can't say to trust the guy, could certainly be a scam, but lots of banks will use only one or another service.  One bank I have uses Zelle, Venmo is pretty easy, and of course Paypal works with most anyone.

If you are suspicious, be conservative, that's a good chunk of money, but it could be he is too and wants some protection. 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 04:46:28 AM »
Since I started a Venmo account I will try to use it on a smaller level at some time. For now, I'm pulling the plug on the Venmo only payment guy.

Thanks,
Doug Bender

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 09:03:02 AM »
Right now all I have for payment is Venmo unless it's a money wire. To me money wire is the safest.

Although I use Venmo to buy have not taken it as payment but so far I feel it is safe and has worked well for maybe a half dozen times.

See if he will use a money wire.

TurboChris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 10:44:30 AM »
If he uses a major bank then he should be able to Zelle off his phone. If he doesn't have a smart phone, then I'd tell him to send a check and you'll wait until it clears.

https://www.zellepay.com/get-started?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw0YGyBhByEiwAQmBEWtXtqjJwdfQLLpUznqV51Z4pz9fgNe811pT2FKM1NSEEJjix6mBlmxoCvB4QAvD_BwE
1966 Fairlane - 427 - Pond Block - Edelbrock - Tunnel Wedge

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2024, 09:50:31 AM »
I did not sell to him. he would not move off the Venmo thing and I didn't want to Venmo. Then I find a cash buyer so all is good.
Doug Bender