Author Topic: Trick Flow heads....  (Read 25085 times)

wowens

• View Profile
Re: Trick Flow heads....
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 08:27:05 PM »
The helicoils are longer.  The threads are deeper.  I use a stud with more base thread to root it deeper.  That is the one benefit to the pad being taller......more engagement.

Thanks Blair
Deeper threads with studs that will use them should clamp better and eliminate some stand movement. I like it.

Woody

351crules

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 09:00:14 PM »
looks like there is enough room to add a rocker stud for each valve

plovett

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2019, 09:05:06 PM »
Brent, approximately how much does it cost to make the TFS heads completely right?  I normally don't ask about vendors about cost, but this seems like a tech issue.

thanks,

paulie

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2019, 09:52:28 PM »
I think Trickflow could do better.

JMO,

paulie

Had one of the intakes here.
Looks like it has potential with some tweaks.
It does seem like they never really installed these parts and ran them - we are the research and development department...

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2019, 05:49:49 AM »
Brent, approximately how much does it cost to make the TFS heads completely right?  I normally don't ask about vendors about cost, but this seems like a tech issue.

thanks,

paulie

You mean to cut the stands?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2019, 06:39:52 AM »
Maybe trick flow should include rocker stands at the correct height to match their heads?   would the more engagement part of the higher stands on the TF heads result in  a more stable valve train?
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2019, 07:52:17 AM »
If they supply stands, then you're locked into whatever rockers and shafts fit their stands.  Needle bearing rockers, such as T&D, Harland Sharp, etc., use a different diameter shaft than a bushed or factory rocker.   Some rocker bodies are different widths as well.

The stability will just depend on how much stud engagement you have.   I have pulled stand studs out of the heads at 600 lbs open pressure on aluminum heads.  I don't know how much more base thread you'd have to have to get around that.  My SOP for big pressure solid rollers is to just use race rocker setups.   I'm thinking about how much you'd have to whack off a TFS head to get the T&D race rocker mounting bar to sit where it needs to......wow......
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2019, 09:04:09 AM »
If they supply stands, then you're locked into whatever rockers and shafts fit their stands.  Needle bearing rockers, such as T&D, Harland Sharp, etc., use a different diameter shaft than a bushed or factory rocker.   Some rocker bodies are different widths as well.

The stability will just depend on how much stud engagement you have.   I have pulled stand studs out of the heads at 600 lbs open pressure on aluminum heads.  I don't know how much more base thread you'd have to have to get around that.  My SOP for big pressure solid rollers is to just use race rocker setups.   I'm thinking about how much you'd have to whack off a TFS head to get the T&D race rocker mounting bar to sit where it needs to......wow......

I thought this thread was about regular guys trying to use these heads out of the box.  Race-prepping ANY head will require machining or other modifications.

What WOULD happen if someone tried to just bolt these on out of the box? Using their valves.  Do the installation instructions say you have to get custom-length pushrods?

All this glossing over of longer valves...how much extra weight do those add; what effect does the added weight have on redine, imortant if you're wanting to use a hydraulic cam.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:16:18 AM by Dumpling »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2019, 09:10:55 AM »
This thread IS about guys trying to use them out of the box.  All the discussion about machine work was to discuss what's necessary to make them correct and usable.

What would happen?  You'd constantly be putting a side load on the valve.  Nobody aims to put the pattern on the outside tip of the valve.  We try to get the pattern near center to eliminate valve guide wear and eliminate lift loss.  That's not really "race prep", it's just common sense.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

plovett

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2019, 09:21:17 AM »

thanks,

paulie

Yes.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2019, 09:29:11 AM »

thanks,

paulie

Yes.

$125-150.  There's quite a bit of setup time in it. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2019, 09:44:07 AM »
The problem I have is that TFS markets these as, "...a direct bolt-on for all 1961-76 engines."
While technically they do bolt right on, I think the average buyer reading that statement (beside an assembled head labeled "Street Port") would expect ready-to-run valvetrain be available over some counter somewhere.

plovett

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »

thanks,

paulie

Thank you.

Yes.

$125-150.  There's quite a bit of setup time in it.

Thank you.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
And the fact that the chambers are at least 2cc smaller than most other heads out there.  I usually see them at a hair under 70cc.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2019, 02:50:44 PM »
There is an article on a FE build in Car Craft using these.  They appear clueless and sort of extroll the virtue of the raised pads.  "May require longer pushrods"

We're not clueless, the stock stand height worked just fine for us. That engine made 700 hp and everything looked great. Those heads are a super nice design as were the other parts we used on that engine. The engine took a little more "fine tuning" than a typical Chevy or Mopar engine, but you kind of expect it with a FE engine. Especially when using a bunch of brand new parts. We had one of the first sets of TF heads as well as set #1 of the Comp rocker arms so stuff did have to be tweaked a little bit but we didn't have to machine the stands. Pushrod clearance was tight in several spots and the intake did end up on the milling machine a couple of times.