Author Topic: Can The Heavy Dog FE Be Lifted By The Intake  (Read 6555 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Can The Heavy Dog FE Be Lifted By The Intake
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 08:44:58 AM »
Only thought regarding possible failure....  many of those universal carb lift plates have big holes or slots, use good washers.

Below, a iron headed 429 being lifted out of my car.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909794&page=3

Also, I used to work for an instrument company.  We sold chart recorders to nuclear power plants.  All those units had to seismically certified.  We did our testing at Southwest Research in San Antonio.  The 11" units weighed 65 lbs.  They used a "jack screw" assembly, one on each side that was a stamped 18 gauge steel box, a captive nut and 3/8" all thread to bear against the relay rack mounting plate.  The rack mount plate was 1/8" flat CRS steel, held to the rack with the standard 10-32 rack screws, 8 total.  Shook the ever-lovin shit out of those things and never had the mounting fail.  you have to see to believe what a shake table can do with a full 6' relay rack mounted to it full if instrumentation. 

So for me, four 5/16 studs with washers and nuts holding a 1/8 steel plate to a 750 lb motor is piss nothing, whatever.

LOL, sample - SRI table and rack test, minus instruments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6fzUZhVdPo
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:00:36 AM by Falcon67 »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »
FWIW, if there were to be such a thing as a 20' long railroad tie, I'd have no problem walking it from end to end. Put that same tie 100 feet in the air and I'd surely fall off and kill myself. The mind plays tricks.

I have no doubt, from a scientific viewpoint, that the pull-out strength, in an aluminum casting, of four carb studs is several times the weight of an FE engine complete with a C6 trans attached. But the idea of using a carb plate still makes me uneasy.

I use a chain attached to the engine/trans in such a way that it can be picked up at enough of an angle to put the whole thing in at one time. Manually lift the tailshaft housing over the rad support and it'll slide right in with ease. Use a small floor jack, positioned to hold the back end of the trans, and let it roll back into position as the engine is lowered.

(And, by the way, an FE isn't really a 'Heavy dog'. An FE, with the usual aluminum acoutrements, actually weighs less than an all-iron small block.)

KS
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:05:23 PM by cammerfe »

mike7570

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »
(And, by the way, an FE isn't really a 'Heavy dog'. An FE, with the usual aluminum acoutrements, actually weighs less than an all-iron small block.)

KS
[/quote]

X2.   In fact I had a dilemma taking my cross bolt 390 to get it sonic checked, I had no one to help me put it in my truck and I didn't have a engine hoist.
Well when I was young (62 now) I knew I was able to pick up a block. So carefully I tried it and was able to lift it into my truck without any back sprains (LOL)
So how much did it weigh? I didn't know.
When I picked up my new BBM block Doug loaded it with a fork lift and I moved it to the front of the truck bed.
Right away something was wrong, It was a lot heavier and I thought I better not try lifting it. I asked Doug how much it weighed, he said "about 50lbs heavier than a factory iron block"
so I ask how much is the factory block? He said about 190lbs. So there is my limit and it's going lower with each passing year, but in retrospect it seams pretty light for what it is.
(maybe the iron intake is were the FE picks up the misinformation about being heavy)   
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:20:56 PM by mike7570 »

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 08:26:10 PM »
that is why I am glad there is more aluminum parts being made for our engines . I really like the aluminum floor jacks , so much easier to move around as the years go by .

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »
I used to be able to hump an empty 351C block in the back of a pickup.  Uh, not so much anymore. 

sanddoc

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 01:49:36 PM »
For years all I have heard is that the FE  especially the 390 is a boat anchor..
  In truth the FE and most Ford engines are lighter the "other brand"  you know the chevy.. hahaha
and the power out put is as good as the (other brand)   352\360hp  390\370hp  427\425 over 550 in truth

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights.html
Best

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 01:57:54 PM »
I used to hump 302 blocks without issue when I was 20(was not into FE's yet)

Today?   Nope, not without screwing myself up really, really bad.  Cranks are bad enough anymore.... :o
Larry

Richard F

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
My friend made my plate, he was a certifed welder.  It's 1/4" steel, with a ring welded in the center.  It won't flex any at all.  I have no problem using it.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909794&page=3

Also, I used to work for an instrument company.  We sold chart recorders to nuclear power plants.  All those units had to seismically certified.  We did our testing at Southwest Research in San Antonio.  The 11" units weighed 65 lbs.  They used a "jack screw" assembly, one on each side that was a stamped 18 gauge steel box, a captive nut and 3/8" all thread to bear against the relay rack mounting plate.  The rack mount plate was 1/8" flat CRS steel, held to the rack with the standard 10-32 rack screws, 8 total.  Shook the ever-lovin shit out of those things and never had the mounting fail.  you have to see to believe what a shake table can do with a full 6' relay rack mounted to it full if instrumentation. 

So for me, four 5/16 studs with washers and nuts holding a 1/8 steel plate to a 750 lb motor is piss nothing, whatever.

LOL, sample - SRI table and rack test, minus instruments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6fzUZhVdPo

Lol,....the info on  that link is amazing, on how many lbs the intake,....takes !
Sure ease's my mind.
Thanks buddy !
Kevin
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:40:44 PM by 427HISS »

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 11:44:51 PM »
For years all I have heard is that the FE  especially the 390 is a boat anchor..
  In truth the FE and most Ford engines are lighter the "other brand"  you know the chevy.. hahaha
and the power out put is as good as the (other brand)   352\360hp  390\370hp  427\425 over 550 in truth

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights.html
Best

The link says the 428 (and others) is 650 lbs. ?
Mine fully dressed & delivered on a pallet was 500lbs.