Author Topic: Shortening an oil pan  (Read 2603 times)

Chrisss31

• View Profile
Shortening an oil pan
« on: November 11, 2017, 03:19:54 PM »
I need to make some clearance room for the steering rack under the oil pan, I guess I have two choices 1) Pick the engine up or 2) Take a little bit off the oil pan.  I would rather keep the engine in the car as low as possible but I'm pretty sure its not going to fit under the stock hood so it wouldn't be a deal breaker if I had to pick it up.

I have a few questions.... Approximately how much does a 4.25" stroke crank hang below the oil pan rail, and do you have any idea how much I can take off the rear of the oil pan?  I'm running a Canton 15-820.

I realize this is all very subjective, but I'm curious if there is a fair amount of fudge room or if it's close already.

Thanks,
Chris

turbohunter

• View Profile
Re: Shortening an oil pan
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 03:46:01 PM »
I've tried to do this very thing Chris.
There is some fudge room. First the standard pump is 1/4 inch shorter than the HV pump. Second you can take the bottom cover nuts off and counter sink some Allan bolts in there.  Those things may (?) net you a half inch on the pump. If you add the area of the pan below the pump and take that out maybe 3/4 of an inch.
I ended up after cutting apart a perfectly good pan just positioning the engine so that the crossmember and rack where tucked up into the pan and cutting relief for the middle pump fitting.
But to answer your question yes you can get some room but not much. All depends on how high or low you position your engine.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:49:24 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »
Hey Marc, I remember seeing your post about that.  I'm looking to pick up 1/2-3/4" on the shallow end of the pan, meaning the rear part of a front sump pan.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 04:00:34 PM »
If that's all you need you're gonna be right there. It'll be tight though.
Here's a look at what you're dealing with.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »
Under the maincaps you should be able to go flat with the block
if you are lucky the rack is below a maincap
i dont know though how much a 4.25 crank hangs down

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 11:44:09 PM »
I'm not totally sure but the 1958-60 Thuderbird pans seemed to be shallower in the rear section. The reason I question is in my sons 59 Bird the cross rod from the PS rubs on the bottom of a later pan. We installed a C-6 and there isn't any room to raise the engine. I'm changing his to a GT pan with the indents to gain the clearance, the rubbing seems to be at the end of travel. Ther are 2" dropped spindles if that matters.
I've measured early and later pans and the 58 Edsel and the 59 T-Bird seem to be shallower by about 3/4 inch. 

Richard >>> FERoadster

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »
I guess the thing to do would be to get a measurement from an engine with a 4.25" stroke crank.  I have an old 390 in the car now as a place holder and the oil pan that came on it tapers to about nothing, but that's not to say a stroker crank would clear.