Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 776826 times)

fe66comet

Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
The new school Stang guys won't even know what to make of it LOL. That is why I am doing my Ranger with the FE. No 4.6 there ??????? What is it ????

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
OK all.....  Took a bit, but was finally able to get the stock transmission out!!!  Do you remember when you were a kid at the restaurant The Ground Round (For those of you from Long Island), and you used to take everyones straw and attach them together in order to drink soda off like up to 10 feet away?  Same thing! Who would have know at that age I was already practicing.  So in this lovely car, the top two bell housing bolts can't be seen or reached from under the hood.... and after days of trying extensions from the bottom side, that doesn't work either.  like 7 extensions and attacking it from on top (coming in from where the yoke is) finally worked....

Next step, pull engine (sell all these stock parts), bolt in new AJE K Member with FE motor mounts.... and rest the Cammer/T56 XL  in its new home!
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2014, 12:32:17 PM »
Finally!!!!!  I just got the call at work.  My block has been completed and I am picking it up tonight!  What a lovely way to spend the 4th of July long weekend!  I will have the block on the engine stand tonight and snap a few Pictures.  Of note, the machine shop said they only needed to hone out the bores like 0.010 to get them to 4.250.  I called them back to make sure (as I thought the Pond blocks came with a standard bore of 4.233) but he assured me that it only took 0.010 to get all the bored to 4.250......  Any input on this before I get it home?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:20:21 PM by cobracammer »
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2014, 12:57:58 PM »
Check all you can, both visually and by asking, before taking it. Make notes b/4 you go too!
Bob Maag

lovehamr

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2014, 08:33:25 PM »
I'd at least take a dial caliper with me.  ;)

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »
OK guys, I have the block home (think I even had the seatbelt on it on the way home).  First question to the FE committee.....  The picture below (not my actual block, but a picture I found online) has the 3 areas I believe need to be sealed off before bolting the block to the Engine Stand.  I have the freeze plug that seals off the back of the Cam tunnel, and I have a pipe plug for the small oil galley right below it, but I am unsure of what size pipe plug is needed for the larger oil galley to the bottom left.  It seems to be a deeper threaded hole before you get to the oil galley itself (I mean compared to the depth/threads on other oil galleys.

1st question:  What size pipe plug is needed for the bottom left oil galley?

2nd question: Am I missing any location on the back of the block (other than these 3) that need to be sealed off ?

Thanks everyone!
Jason

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
You can disregard my PM, I just saw this picture.  For the SOHC Pond block I think those are the only three holes that need to be plugged.  The lower left hole takes a 3/8" pipe plug, if I recall correctly.  I'd get one of those and screw it in to try it.  Get an allen head plug so that the top of the plug stays more or less flush with the end of the block, otherwise you may end up cutting a hole in your block plate to accomodate the plug.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2014, 09:17:03 AM »
Thanks Jay.  I will pick up one of those plugs.  Oddly enough I cannot find someone who sells a variety pack.  I got the pipe plug kit from Doug over at precisionoilpumps, but it doesn't have that particular plug in his kit.

Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2014, 07:10:42 PM »
And now its going to get fun!!!!  Block is home.  Bolted it up to the engine stand.  Sprayed it down with brake cleaner and wiped it down with 100% cotton rag (No dust).  After this, I took a can of WD40 and sprayed down the whole block liberally.  Journals, Oil galleys, caps, etc.

Finallly, my plan of attack (using Jays 519" build as a guide, I started with the Cam plug for the #4 cam journal.  Using a seperate  100% cotton rag, I rubbed out the cam bearing.  I wanted to make sure there was no dirt, grease, "smutt", etc.  Anything that would get sucked up into the heads during the oil feed.  Once this was done (using nitrile gloves....  just feels like a super sterile environment where these would be needed), I unwrapped the cam plug Jay was awesome enough to machine for me.this is a 2 piece plug. One side of the blog is inserted from the back of the block, the other from the front.  When sandwiched together, there will be a thin passageway as the two halves do not touch.  This leaves a space for the oil (Side Oiler), to come up through the oil feed hole in the journal, pass through the oil hole in the bearing, fill up the space between the plug, and pass out the top oil feed hole in order to supply oil to the head.

Following Jays lead as best I could, I wiped down the plug with brake cleaner to remove any debris.  The 2 plug halves are held together by a small bolt and nyloc nut.  To ensure the oil does not seep out from around the plug, RTV sealant was applied in a very thin bead where the halves touch the block (Ensuring not to get any on the inside face.  RTV sealant was also applied to the bolt head as well as under the nyloc nut.  I wanted a tiny bit more security, so placed some extreme hold Loctite to the bolt threads as well.  Once I tightened it all down (I didnt want to strip the bolt\nut, so I tightened it until it was fairly hard to tighten any further and stopped (Thats why I felt goood about using locktite).

When all was done, I used my finger to smooth out the RTV that squished out (only a little) around each half as well as run my finger around the nut and the bolt head to ensure even coverage.  Step one complete!!!  Its finally happpening.  Now I want to let this dry before moving on.  I feel like with my inexperience, going slow will be my greatest ally.  Gives me time to post on here as well to get feed back.  I knew that I would not be able to reach the plug location once the Crankshaft was installed, so wanted to start here.  Tomorrow I may take down all of the measurements with the main bearings in place as well as measure the crank journal diameters....  I am hoping I do not need to buy extra sets of main bearings to make the proper clearances....  Finger crossed.  1 part that has me a bit nervous is the rear main seals with the 2 side seals.  Any feedback on making this a smooth and effective seal would be greatly appreciated.  See Below for pictures of the block and the cam journal plug in place.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:22:57 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2014, 07:11:35 PM »
Cam plug:
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »
OK Day 2... and if your reading Jay, I am going to need your help below.  After measuring each journal diameter on the crankshaft, and then taking a  reading from each main journal (with bearing installed), I got the following #'s:

Crank Journal OD:

#1 = 2.732
#2 = 2.732
#3 = 2.732
#4 = 2.732
#5 = 2.732

then, measuring the actual dial bore gauge I was using came up with 2.820 (I read that you change out the pins on the dial bore gauge to get fairly close to the diameter of the crank journal... but a little larger to be able to measure the clearances)

After putting each main bearing in its respective place, I proceeded to dial gauge each starting from #5.  On each one, the dial spun around 1 full time and then to between 12 and 16.....  I took this as .062 to 0.066 respectively (please anyone jump in here if I am reading the dial bore gauge wrong)

#5 (2.820 (dial bore gauge measurement) -  0.066 (Needle spun around 1 full time and then to the 16)= 2.754 (diameter of the mains with bearings installed.  Then subtract the outside diameter of the # 5 crank journal (2.732) to get the clearance of    0.022

Now I am supposed to be getting a clearance of between 0.002 to 0.003  so something does not look right.

Just to see, I layed on the crank, torqued all the mains with assembly lube and ARP torque lube, and the crank is firmly in place and is not moving.

2 HUGE QUESTIONS.......

Am I reading the dial bore wrong?

Am I running into the same issue where the oil slinger on the back of the crankshaft is bottoming out in the pond block?

Please help  :0)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:24:27 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
For the bore gauge.
Set the micrometre at 2.732" and the set the bore gauge in the mic and zero the gauge.
Now use the bore gauge as a comparator. Showing you a difference between the pin and the bore.

As for the crank not spinning, Houston we have a problem.
When you have the crank in the block start with the centre cap and snug it up and work out towards the ends one cap at a time.
You will feel when in snugs up.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »
Hey Howie,

Its a dial gauge, not a digital one. 

As for the crank, if I start torquing from the center and work my way out to each end..... do you think that will free up the crank?
Jason

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2014, 03:25:30 PM »
Digital or Dial it will still read the same.
It may not free up the crank, but it will tell you when it starts to get tight.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »
Howie,
Have I told you how awesome you are lately?  A little depressed, I went back into the garage after a break.  I used ARP torque lube on the threads, under the washer, and between the washer and nut......  Torquing to 110 ftlbs (in 3 increments  70-90-110) starting from center and going in a clockwise pattern.....  Side bolts were torqued to 70 ftlbs (only 1 increment).....

I can turn the crank now with 1 finger!!!!!!!

As Awesome as this is, I need to reorder the rear main seals.  I sort of destroyed the 2 side seals as the ones I ordered did not come with "nails" to assist in pushing them down.  I am going to order them from jegs, and then I only have to losen the #5 cap , dab with TA 31 RTV, and work the side seals down.  Best Weekend Ever.  LOL
Jason