Author Topic: It's Alive! But needs help...  (Read 2921 times)

CV355

• View Profile
It's Alive! But needs help...
« on: October 21, 2021, 07:41:03 AM »
The Mach 1 was fired up for the first time in over 2 years.  The whole car was stripped down to unibody last year and we did a complete rebuild from scratch (with the exception of the 428 block). 

The engine sounds downright nasty.  But, there are a few items I need to address:

1)  Starter is bogged down, voltage drops to 9v when cranking.  New solenoid and battery are in the trunk.  2ga cable runs to the starter through a post-style bulkhead.  I had it running through a large bus bar straight off the battery, but there must be some stupid amount of resistance along that circuit.  The ground was to frame.  The tech added a temporary 2ga cable ground from the starter back to the main ground lug from the battery, which seemed to help a little.  He said I should go with 0 gauge instead of 2 on the +12 running up to the starter.  The same starter and arrangement fired up the old engine no problem.  It's a Powermaster gear drive unit that we used to crank the old engine maybe 3-4 times total before we tore the whole car apart.  They can start the engine, it just doesn't turn over as fast as it should with that much voltage drop.  I don't think the engine is too tight or bound in any way.

2)  Cooling.  I have a single Spal pusher fan on a Northern 428 radiator.  The tech and tuner are concerned that it won't be enough.  I'd like to stay electric.  I love the look of this setup- does anyone have any experience with them?  Single big puller with a shroud:
https://speedcooling.com/product/1967-1970-mustang-aluminum-radiator-22-ds-outlet-3391/

If all goes well, we get the car back from the tuner tomorrow.  I then get to put our Halotron extinguisher in it and take it for some test drives up the street and back

fe468stroker

• View Profile
Re: It's Alive! But needs help...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 10:29:36 AM »
I ran a #2 ground cable from the battery to the rear frame rail and also one from the front rail to the engine.  Turns over nicely even when hot.  Can't have too many grounds on something pulling that many amps.  Also have a single puller electric fan with shroud that covers almost the entire radiator within the shroud.  Cools good except extended periods of red lights but cools back down when moving.  Each vehicle and engine is different on cooling needs so you will have to experiment if it runs too hot.  Example - same car ran hotter with a 428CJ than a 427 Side Oiler.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 10:58:58 AM »
I ran a #2 ground cable from the battery to the rear frame rail and also one from the front rail to the engine.  Turns over nicely even when hot.  Can't have too many grounds on something pulling that many amps.  Also have a single puller electric fan with shroud that covers almost the entire radiator within the shroud.  Cools good except extended periods of red lights but cools back down when moving.  Each vehicle and engine is different on cooling needs so you will have to experiment if it runs too hot.  Example - same car ran hotter with a 428CJ than a 427 Side Oiler.

That's what we have running up to the starter.  It had no problems before, but I did add the bus bar and the bulkhead.  I can't imagine those would have enough resistance to cause this. 
I will be adding a full-length ground just to be safe. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 01:51:12 PM »
I'd run 0 or 00 for cables if coming from the trunk and be sure to ground to the engine, and then run a ground to the body.  The engine needs the direct ground.

As far as the fans, I would say that there is no way the current fan setup is enough.  I also doubt that the setup you linked will work with an FE, the water pump is very close compared to a small block.  Hard to make make room for room for a single centered electric fan and motor

That being said, it is hard to beat a stock style fan for cooling if it's a street motor.  May want to consider it with the current radiator for a while, then if really desired, look for dual Spals as big and bad as you can get
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 05:07:36 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 03:51:35 PM »
Do a point-to-point voltage drop test.  Start at the battery positive with the DVOM on DCV with the + lead on the battery.  Put the - lead on your first union and crank the engine.  Observe the voltage under load.  It will show you the actual drop, not circuit voltage.  So, if you were seeing your system drop to 9V while cranking, the DVOM will show you something like 3.6V.  Yes, I know this sounds stupid and won't work since you're not testing + to -, but this is how you see where your electrons are backing up.  Test the negative side too. 

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 10:27:06 PM »
FWIW, I'm a firm believer in 00 and full length cables. I've never had a slow starter since I began going that way. (I did have a bad starter one time. I had it re-wound and "Voila"

KS

Mr Woodys Garage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 10:34:04 PM »
I Know It Sounds Too Simple, But Is There Paint On The Rear Of The Engine, Or Is The Seperator Plate Painted? Biggest Cause Of Slow Starters Or Starter Problems With An FE Is Paint On The Mating Surfaces Of The Block, Seperator Plate, And Bell Housing. It Causes High Resistance, I've Seen It Happen To Friends Firsthand Many Times. Seen It Prematurely Burn Up a Lot Of Startere As Well. Just A Thought.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 10:39:24 PM by Mr Woodys Garage »

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 02:00:21 PM »
I will upgrade the cables to 00 Gauge and do the test GerryP recommended

I Know It Sounds Too Simple, But Is There Paint On The Rear Of The Engine, Or Is The Seperator Plate Painted? Biggest Cause Of Slow Starters Or Starter Problems With An FE Is Paint On The Mating Surfaces Of The Block, Seperator Plate, And Bell Housing. It Causes High Resistance, I've Seen It Happen To Friends Firsthand Many Times. Seen It Prematurely Burn Up a Lot Of Startere As Well. Just A Thought.

I'm wondering that myself.  I thought I ground down the surface a bit by hand but it's possible that I didn't do a well enough job.  That's the first thing I'm checking when I get the car back in my garage tonight.  They said it turned over better when they added a temporary ground straight from the starter back to the battery.  Leads me to believe there is some crazy resistance somewhere there shouldn't be. 

SReist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 02:23:56 PM »
I don't think you're gonna like the pusher fan at all. First issue is they cover a lot of the radiator. Second issue is they sound terrible, guess it's because
they are deadheaded trying to blow through. All the ones I've been around sound like a jet engine. Steve

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 09:22:26 PM »
I do not think the fan setup you have will work keep your stock parts

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 10:17:52 AM »
Pusher fans never work depending on space you have but https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16927 have a look see if there is a set up that will work for you heat is a big problem where i live and night time temps can sit at 35deg c day time over 40's i run one if those set ups and works a treat never had a drama. Nothing is worse then having to watch temps all the time

winr1

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 10:36:06 PM »
Put the battery in the bed of my 65 F100

Ran 0 or 00 to the solenoid on the inner fender, then the same to the starter ( plus )

Ran 0 or 00 to one of the starter bolts ( minus )

Engine spun faster than it ever did

Ricky.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 08:00:16 AM »
Put the battery in the bed of my 65 F100

Ran 0 or 00 to the solenoid on the inner fender, then the same to the starter ( plus )

Ran 0 or 00 to one of the starter bolts ( minus )

Engine spun faster than it ever did

Ricky.

So, instead of a typical engine ground to frame, you ran a dedicated ground from the starter bolt to the battery?  I was considering that. 

winr1

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 11:52:25 PM »
Aye

Adds but a bit of weight

There is a place close that sells all sorts of wire, they have barrels they put shorter lengths in

They found some pieces a bit longer than I needed and a nice price as well

On the plus cable, I used red shrink wrap over the crimped lugs, black on the minus

Ricky.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 08:54:42 AM »
This is the fan setup we run on the cougar, just bought the same setup for our Mustang race car. They move a ton of air, fits well too. You can buy this same fan with our without the relay setup. I'm going to run this same setup on my '62 Galaxie and I'll have the Holley Sniper unit control the fan relays, so I'll have the Sniper stage the fans based on engine temp.

https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/50-5067-dual-fan-assembly
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com