Author Topic: Aftermarket head availability?  (Read 1260 times)

nick c

• View Profile
Aftermarket head availability?
« on: May 01, 2024, 11:19:03 PM »
Looking to get a handle on which aftermarket heads are available these days.  The Edelbrock heads seem to be a shelf item at most places.  Will need to reach out to Barry R to see what the lead time is for his offerings.  I've read about Blue Thunder and Bear Block heads.  Trick Flow would be my first choice but doesn't seem like we'll be seeing them for some time.  What can you guys tell me?

Currently deliberating over my what my engine build will look like.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Aftermarket head availability?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 08:29:16 AM »
Blue Thunder isn't a contender anymore. 

Edelbrock is on the shelf (depending on what flavor you want), but they're really not much more than a factory CJ head in comparison. 

Trick Flow is my fave, but they're backordered for a couple more months from what I understand. 

Can't speak for Barry or BBM on availability. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 11:19:45 AM »
Haven’t spoken to Barry but rumor has it a big batch of BBMs is coming through.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 11:50:26 AM »
Since it doesn’t sound like you have a specific build finalized...

Don’t forget Jay here has his own FE Power cylinder heads & package, and now has aluminum Tunnel Port heads too. Jay has raw castings, you’ll have to check with him for a time frame for completed parts.

Robert Pond Motorsports makes Medium Riser & High Riser style aluminum heads. You’ll have to check with them on availability. I think a couple of the members here are also distributors.

Carroll Shelby Engines makes their own Medium Riser head.

ProMaxx makes FE heads, you’ll have to decide if you’re ok with them, but so far I haven’t heard any issues with the quality. As far as I know they’re currently available.,

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

nick c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 01:53:53 PM »
I certainly don't have a build plan yet.  Picked up a 1970 f250 last month, destined to be a fun street/shop truck.  Currently has the anemic 360/C6/Dana60 drivetrain.  Found a local guy with two 390's, one is a complete engine with collapsed Howards cams (Morel??) lifters, the other is a core short block.  Got those and bunch more parts as part of a decent package deal. 

I'd love to do a TFS head 445, but not sure yet if I want to put what amounts to a $8-10k motor in the truck.  Cobbling a decent hot 390 would be straight forward but by the time you recondition the rods, crank, pistons and go through the iron heads you have a pretty strong fraction of what the 445 costs. 

I need to start a dedicated build thread on what parts I have in order to get help on which direction to go.  Would love it if the TFS heads came back in the next 6-8 months.   

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 02:02:32 PM »
You'll have to decide how far down the rabbit hole you wanna go.  Maybe start with a horsepower or performance goal and aim for that.  An Edelbrock headed 390 can make 400 hp pretty easily. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

feadam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 02:15:21 PM »
Bbm website says they have heads

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2024, 05:54:50 AM »
Edelbrock is available - modest upgrade over a factory CJ or MR head, significant upgrade over other OEM iron heads.
I am out of castings
TFS is out of castings
BBM said they had some coming - might already be available.
Shelby might have something - honestly don't know - they are generally pretty proud of their stuff
Pond may have availablility
Chinese stuff is available - Speedmaster, Promaxx, Jegs, ebay - all of it is Steven's heads castings. 

Given the cheaper is better psychology of the market, five years from now the Chinese stuff is all that will be left.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2024, 02:51:08 PM »
that will be so sad

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2024, 04:02:08 PM »
If someone is desperate for a pair of aluminum heads, I have a pair of BT MR 428 heads, and Survival heads bare that I do not need right now.  I have Pond, Edelbrock, TFS, Survival for my projects.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2024, 09:19:02 PM »
So as of about three weeks ago…..Blair Patrick Enterprises is the only distributor of BBM heads.  We are now handling all BBM head sales.  I get all of the castings, handle all technical questions, do all finish work, and handle shipping to customers.  I did a total redesign of the intake and exhaust ports, and made some improvement to the already very good chamber he had.  The new castings have C8OE-BP casting ID.  The heads are very good.  I offer five different combinations.  The base combo is a CNC clean-up intake port and as-cast exhaust and chamber.  That version with 2.200/1.665 valves will flow 340/240(pipe) out of the box.  The .500 lift flow on the base 2.200 head is 315 cfm. Various versions flow more and less depending on the valve sizes.  A 2.250/1.680 with full CNC job will flow 320+ at .500 and 360 -ish at .800.  CNC exhaust will flow 265-270 with a 2x6 pipe.  Intake valve options 2.100, 2.200, 2.220, and 2.250.  Exhaust valve options are 1.625, 1.665, and 1.680.  I have versions with different prep for enhanced low and mid lift flow, and versions for high lift flow with extremely large cams.  I have six go-to spring packages depending on cam being used, so you don’t have to buy heads and then re-buy a spring package. Beehive, conical, and high end solid roller dual springs.  These are all combos I have used and I know they work.  Cam/lifter/spring packages are available. 

First 15 pairs sold.  20 pairs being cut now.  10 pairs of the second run spoken for.  25 more pairs of castings should be in my hands in the next 2-3 weeks.  The supply looks to be steady for the near future. 

This is one of those public service announcements, so no pricing discussed here.  I just saw this thread and thought I would share the info.  I have a new dedicated phone number for BBM heads and other parts sales.  423-802- two four seven two.  If I don’t answer it, you can text or leave a message on that number. Best chance to get me is between 8:15 AM and 10:15 AM Central M-F.

Hopefully Mr. Jay won’t deem this post inappropriate.  If we can help you guys, let me know.

Thanks,

BP
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 05:20:19 PM by CaptCobrajet »
Blair Patrick

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 10:00:17 PM »
Good hearing from you Blair, thanks for the info.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

nick c

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2024, 12:29:38 PM »
Thanks for that update Mr. Patrick.  I'm planning to reach out in order to learn more about your work and packages.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2024, 10:25:30 AM »
Good news on the BBM's !!

Will the Tunnel wedge intake be available to ?

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2024, 10:55:45 AM »
Summit has the TFS Track Heat tunnel wedge available with more than 10 units.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500