Author Topic: Speed Master S.S. rockers  (Read 1874 times)

allrightmike

• View Profile
Speed Master S.S. rockers
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:35:14 PM »
  OK, I probably made a mistake when I bought the Speed Master cast stainless rocker assys. couple years ago. Now have them installed in the 427. I have corrected machining errors and other quality problems that could be corrected by machining. I have good geometry, rocker spacing and so-forth. Using comp. 282S cam, around 125 seat pressure with comp. recommended springs. Street use only but would like to "stand on the gas" once in a while! So the question is; just how bad are these damn things and what chance do I stand for a good outcome?

Blueoval77

• View Profile
Re: Speed Master S.S. rockers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 06:39:12 PM »
There was another thread talking about these or some like these just recently.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 06:59:19 AM »
I did a search here on the forum, didn't find much pertaining to the stainless steel rockers.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 07:18:02 AM »
I personally wouldn't trust anything from Speedmaster/ProComp.

Not my engine, but I watched a SBC on my buddy's dyno spit out a set of roller tips from some Speedmaster/Procomp rockers.   Also watched one of their distributors fail.  Intakes are porous and leak. 

IMO, they are a time bomb waiting to go off.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 08:28:07 AM »
Just my opinion...if I don't trust rockers for standing on the gas, I wouldn't trust them for cruising either.  One hour of interstate cruising is over 60,000 cycles per rocker. 

Nothing good happens if/when a rocker breaks...bent valves and broken lifters happen next.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 09:11:29 AM »
Thanks for the input, the engine has only cam brake in time on it at this point.. This is a 352 360 HP look alike, will most aftermarket rocker assys. fit under the old baldy valve covers?

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 11:07:24 AM »
With that mild cam, why not just use the stock adjustables? add some HD shafts and run it

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 11:16:43 AM »
With that mild cam, why not just use the stock adjustables? add some HD shafts and run it

X2.  I've ran the factory non-adjustables at 400 lbs of open pressure with over .600" lift.  Only bad thing is the shoe style rocker tip. 

About anything will fit under a baldy.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 11:39:37 AM »
 allrightmike,
    Was there a major mis alignment on "one" rocker that required the stand to be re machined? I was given a set to test and when I was assembling them I found that and stopped . The offset was easily .100.
  The rocker splits on the pushrod side due to (IMHO) side loading from pushrods that are too short. A wiser "designer" ( not a Chinese "copycat" person) could probably add material to make the rocker live. Trouble is the "copier" has never even seen the engine!

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 12:25:19 PM »
allrightmike,
    Was there a major mis alignment on "one" rocker that required the stand to be re machined? I was given a set to test and when I was assembling them I found that and stopped . The offset was easily .100.
  The rocker splits on the pushrod side due to (IMHO) side loading from pushrods that are too short. A wiser "designer" ( not a Chinese "copycat" person) could probably add material to make the rocker live. Trouble is the "copier" has never even seen the engine!
Did not find anything that blatant wrong, mostly little things. Tapered shafts required refitting some of the rockers. Rocker sides not square and perpendicular with bore, making spacing difficult. While keeping as few adjuster threads as possible showing on the ball end, interference between the rocker and push rod did occur at full lift so some clearancing of the rocker was required in that area, I'd say maybe .020-.025 removed.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 02:09:44 PM »
  I never got that far. When I found the gross misalignment , I stopped.