Author Topic: Tri-Power or Dual Quad Offenhauser?  (Read 9747 times)

falcongeorge

• View Profile
Re: Tri-Power or Dual Quad Offenhauser?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 01:36:06 PM »
how about 3-2V using the new FI-tech replacement for carbs

Using fuel injection on pre-1986 vehicles is gay. Like, LGBT gay. Like, Fire Island gay. Like, Barack Obama gay. You're not going to get the oohs and aahs that classic clobberators will get. Plus, gay FI will go SWISH when you hit the gas pedal. No roar, just swish. I mean, Gay Pride Parade performance. We're talking mincing in black leather jockstraps in front of the kids performance.

Nope. Can't have that.   :)

I hate myself a little bit when I agree with you.  I can live with that.
Just lay back, close your eyes and focus on how it feels. That icky feeling will go away. Agreed on what Jay says about the offy 2x4. OP, Obviously you aren’t adverse to spending some bucks, so get the blue thunder 2x4, carb choice depends on the rest of your combination. A pair of #1850’s can usually be found in the $50 range if you hit the swaps. If you go with the high zoot 660’s be prepared to have to restrict/reduce the ifr’s to get good part throttle cruise.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 01:51:01 PM by falcongeorge »

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 01:39:05 PM »
Hello. I am a newer member and an FE newbie. I have found a couple of FE intakes for sale recently and wanted an opinion on whether they are worth the time and effort to use them on an occasional driver or should I stick with a single carb with an aluminum intake. My '67 Mustang was originally an S Code and I have a 390 from a '67 Galaxie awaiting time to go through and be installed. I want to do some upgrades to it before it goes in. The intakes that I found are an FE Tri-Power and a Dual Quad Offenhauser. Both are complete with carbs and linkages according to the sellers. The Tri Power was on an early Galaxie but not sure about the Offenhauser.

They are both in the $1000 price range.

Advice or opinions welcome.

I had a simular experience as Jay mentioned. I do not know how the plenum of the P-O-Sonice is designed vs the Offenhauser Dual Quad but my 390 gained when I swapped a single 4 barrel Port-O-Sonic for a Street Master. As for looks you can not go wrong with multiple carbs in any case.

The car I just got a couple days ago has a "stealth" F427 intake. Stealth as in lettering removed, painted blue. Looks really stock. I have heard that the POS is better than the SM or SD, which are supposed to be better than the F427. Not sure how much ET is there if I switch to a POS.
I think the POS “happy place” is a little higher in the rpm range than the street master, and it needs more work to optimize it. But theres a lot of overlap, the two intakes are pretty close.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »
and don't worry Felony, my sexuality is still intact.

We'll go with your claim for now. However, if I see one square inch of a Rochester in the corner of any of your pictures, I'm calling you out of the closet.
I thought Some 429s left the factory with q-jets in ‘71. Great street carb actually. As far as  carbs and gender bending, just look at my avatar. ‘Nuff said...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 01:44:33 PM by falcongeorge »

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 01:57:16 PM »

Using fuel injection on pre-1986 vehicles is gay. Like, LGBT gay. Like, Fire Island gay. Like, Barack Obama gay. You're not going to get the oohs and aahs that classic clobberators will get. Plus, gay FI will go SWISH when you hit the gas pedal. No roar, just swish. I mean, Gay Pride Parade performance. We're talking mincing in black leather jockstraps in front of the kids performance.

I didn't see that on there website. Thanks for the warning!

https://www.fireisland.com/
It’s there, look under the “explore” tab. Water sports, eco-friendly, and the clincher under bicycle ediquitte “ring your bell when passing pedestrians” ??? Cmon, that’s as gay as assless leather chaps....
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 01:59:37 PM by falcongeorge »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
FEEE-lony---

I hope you realize you're not being completely politically correct with your comments ;)

KS

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
FEEE-lony---

I hope you realize you're not being completely politically correct with your comments ;)

KS
Yea, cmon FElony, lighten up on the Viking stereotyping.... ;D

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2018, 02:24:08 PM »
And as for carburetors on FEs, I gave them up in favor of EFI more than 20 years ago. Can't beat it for drivability. EFI is massively superior, and when we got it tuned properly we got about a 2 second improvement from 2000 to 7000 RPM in second gear with a pair of Holley TBIs. That's compared to a pair of 652s that came out of the LeMans program. The testing was done on the half-mile oval at T&C Livonia using an accelerometer. :)

KS

FElony

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2018, 02:32:50 PM »

I thought Some 429s left the factory with q-jets in ‘71. Great street carb actually. As far as  carbs and gender bending, just look at my avatar. ‘Nuff said...

My '70 Cyclone Spoiler came with a Q-Jet from the factory. Fortunately, the guy I bought if from liked girls, and had swapped in a spread-bore Holley. This allowed me to test-drive the car manhandling the shifter without lifting my pinky.

My 4-4-2 is Holley swapped. My Starfire is, uh, oh no! The Rochester is still on there! I HAVE A GAY CARB ON MY PROPERTY! Crap. Now I have to go down to the thrift store and shop for assless leather chaps. And a bell for my bicycle. I hate it when my insults backfire on me.  :(

FElony

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »
FEEE-lony---

KS

Thank goodness. Heaven forbid that I be mistaken for rainbow-hugging, pillow-biting, Soros-snuggling, terminally dysfunctional snowflake member of an NPC mob instead of a testosterone-infused, booze-swilling, parts-hoarding, forced-celibate, professionally cynical secular rationalist.

FElony

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »
EFI is massively superior

KS

Yep, it certainly kills me to pump the gas pedal twice to start a car instead of not at all. Exhausting, for sure.

67GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2018, 03:40:12 PM »
I ran a Tri Power in my 4 spd 390 Mustang for 10+ years and it was a lot of fun.. I have since put it back to stock looking as i wanted to use the setup on a Galaxie.. But it still did all the right things when you dropped the clutch  ;D

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2018, 03:59:41 PM »
FEEE-lony---

KS

I'm offended :'( i seek out a safe place on the ship and..sharpen my battleaxe and dip my torches in tar

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2018, 04:30:28 PM »

I didn't see that on there website. Thanks for the warning!

https://www.fireisland.com/

Was there in 2000 didnt se a single sissy ;D off season i guess

They saw you coming with your battle armor, Viking coat of arms, a lit torch, and a flag that said "Lispys will get Crispy". Try being a little more subtle next time.

;D ;D Well... in Iowa grown men run and hide when i stepped out of the U-Haul truck
They thought i was from the New York mob. So perhaps i don't have a friendly cosy appearance

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

FElony

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2018, 05:25:06 PM »
FEEE-lony---

KS

I'm offended :'( i seek out a safe place on the ship and..sharpen my battleaxe and dip my torches in tar

Yes, and enjoy dining on a side of mutton and a tankard of mead. Better make it three tankards; it'll improve your aim with the axe.

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2018, 09:13:37 PM »
Sweet as cherry pie!