Author Topic: More rocker arm stuff.  (Read 4305 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
More rocker arm stuff.
« on: December 02, 2015, 12:52:29 PM »
Anyone useing or ever used any of the Oregon cam grinding rocker steups ?
How do they compare to HS, PoP, and DoVe ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: More rocker arm stuff.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 02:54:18 PM »
I've used them twice, but just the stand system. It's also what I currently have on the engine in my Mustang, but using HS rockers. It's a very good set-up. One thing I particularly like about it is when removing/installing the rocker assembly it helps keep the shaft rigid and doesn't allow it to flex so much, which I think contributes to shaft failures if not done in very small increments. I posted a couple pictures of my system in my thread "Upgrades to my Mach 1", which I think is back on page 3 now in the Members Projects area.

I'll link those pictures when I get home.

Here ya go. Could have been better pictures though.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:01:13 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 07:13:50 PM »
I've not seen their rockers in person, but those photos you posted look suspiciously like Comp Cams (Dove) narrow rockers to me.   :-\

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »
They could be, I'm more interested in the stand setup. I think it could be modified to catch a few head bolts..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 03:02:36 AM »
So Doug, they sell just the stand setup ? Don't have Toby the whole assembly ? I have some pop rockers and shafts and thinking bout setting them up as a backup set.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »
Yes, you can buy just the support system. The bottom bar is machined to clear the bolt heads, so I don't think you'll be able to tie them into it. Besides the fact that drilling the holes would weaken the bar, if you used spacers under the bar to support it under the bolts, it would raise the bolt heads to the point of interfering with the shaft. I believe Rory has been using this system on his low 10 second Fairmont drag car for some time now, without any problems. So it's a good system and is probably one of the best out there without going to a TD race system. I don't know what spring pressures Rory is running in his car, but he has iron heads which help.

I should add that there's not enough room under the bar for the thicker nuts used with ARP studs. While I prefer studs, I've never had a problem with the factory hardware and had no issue or reservations about using them on this engine.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 12:06:31 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 02:31:36 PM »
Thanks for the info Doug, I'm about to send a cam off to them for repairs, I may pick up the stand system to put together an extra set to keep or sell. Looks like a good piece..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »
I know Rory and a few others that run solid flat tappets with Oregon Rocker set up with good results. I'm a big fan of Oregon Cams would recommend talking with Ken. Last I heard.... They where on back order....
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

plovett

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »
I've used them twice, but just the stand system. It's also what I currently have on the engine in my Mustang, but using HS rockers. It's a very good set-up. One thing I particularly like about it is when removing/installing the rocker assembly it helps keep the shaft rigid and doesn't allow it to flex so much, which I think contributes to shaft failures if not done in very small increments. I posted a couple pictures of my system in my thread "Upgrades to my Mach 1", which I think is back on page 3 now in the Members Projects area.

I'll link those pictures when I get home.

Here ya go. Could have been better pictures though.

Ha!  I'm not the only guy who uses a sharpie when setting the lash on my rockers.    ;D

paulie

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 06:25:27 PM »
that's a good ideal