Author Topic: Borla / Ingelese 8 Stack?  (Read 981 times)

TurboChris

• View Profile
Borla / Ingelese 8 Stack?
« on: May 09, 2023, 04:12:27 PM »
Ok I searched and it appears it's been years since this was discussed and there have been updates on these systems as technology progress's. My current hoop-tee is a 66 Fairlane with a pond aluminum 427 with edelbrock heads, dove tunnel wedge, dual 600's, C6. It's an 6 year old build with about 4000 miles. I just got it a month or two ago and am in the process of sorting it out and making a list of what I want / it needs.

It currently runs "Ok", it dyno'd, when built at 500 hp but def not as crisp and responsive as I'd like and rough calculations show about 8 mpg.  So I was thinking about the holly dual quad terminator efi system. I have a trusted tuner with a dyno locally and he is well versed with it. I thought it might be a good fit for my car. In speaking to him, he was adamant about a couple of things.

1) Stay AWAY from FiTech. I believe this as I've seen some good and def some poor reviews.

2) Holley Terminator all the way. He likes it a lot and states the Holley dual quad set up will be great.

3) To not consider any 8 stack system. He stated they were too much work to make work right and I wouldn't be happy with the low end performance / street manners.

But of course, I can't stop wanting the 8 stack system. I read on the cobra forums and even here that plenty of people have installed / set up ITB systems and are very happy with them. But I don't really find much in the last 5 years or so, not since Holley came out with the terminator for sure. 

So, here we go. Who has experience with a quality set up like a Borla or an Ingelese 8 stack? I see ingelese uses the Holley terminator now. How are low speed manners and general street ability? Loose much torque down low? Any issues with vacuum? (I see they now have plenum's built in for vacuum so I'm ASSuming that's not an issue and more cam dependent)
Speaking of cams I have a lunati. Here's the specs, hoping I can keep it as I don't know if I'm willing to go through the effort and expense of swapping cams.

Thanks in advance

1966 Fairlane - 427 - Pond Block - Edelbrock - Tunnel Wedge

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Borla / Ingelese 8 Stack?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 04:33:04 PM »
I have built a 550 horse 462 with a Borla and a terminator X. Horsepower was on par, but torque was down, probably due to the shorter runners. We had lots of problems with the Terminator X wiring harness, but once we figured it out, it was very easy to tune, and ran strong other than a bit of a loss of torque

The only thing I did not like about it is, there is a lot of pressure required to run the bell crank for the eight stack. Enough that we had to reconfigure and strengthen the dyno throttle arm.

I never got to actually drive the vehicle, but again after we chased some significant wiring issues that drove us nuts, which is not really the system or the injectors fault, it ran and tuned pretty easy.

It is a very expensive endeavor, though, and be sure to get a dual sync distributor if you do it. I would say though, if you are really looking for higher power peaks, you should drive toward more modern heads while you do it

If you dig through the dyno section, the engine is there, I will be back to the computer later on tonight answering from my cell phone now, but would be happy to talk to you about what I saw
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 04:51:32 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 05:30:17 PM »
I don't know anything about the Borla setup, but in general I love Individual Runner (IR) intakes.  It baffles me that Ross has not seen good torque with the Borla, because my experience has been the exact opposite, where a good IR intake will always come out on top in torque production.  When I wrote my book and tested the Weber setup on my 500 HP 390 stroker, it slaughtered every other manifold in torque.  Same thing with the IR intake I built for my cylinder head package; at 765 foot pounds out of a 511" engine, it made HUGE peak torque.  The tunnel ram was right there with it, but for a manifold that fits under the hood, the IR intake is pretty tough to beat.

At Drag Week in 2009 I ran a Hilborn setup converted to EFI in my 64 Galaxie.  That engine idled at 750 RPM and made 900+ HP, and at 3935 pounds ran 9.50s at 140-143 MPH.  It was beautifully streetable, and picked the front wheels a foot off the ground at the track, if I wasn't careful with it.

Any EFI system should work fine for an IR setup.  I have used FAST and Amp EFI's system with good results, but no reason the Holley setup couldn't work too.

Throttle response from an IR intake is also outstanding, better than any carbed intake in my experience. 

There are downsides, though.  The power output of an IR setup is very peaky; see the graph below showing the IR setup for my cylinder heads plotted with the tunnel ram.  Talk about a roller coaster!  And Ross is right on point with the linkage issues.  Getting all 8 throttle plates synchronized can be an issue; I used to use the old trick of setting the throttle stops so that a strip of newspaper would just barely slide out between the butterflies and the throttle bores.  Much more than that and your idle will go way, way up.  Also, it takes a lot of spring to close 8 butterflies, so your linkage needs to be up to snuff.  One linkage trick is to arrange the bellcranks so that the first 1/3 of pedal travel only opens the butterflies a little bit.  This makes the engine much easier to control.

Again, I'm not familiar with the Borla setup, but unless it is badly screwed up I think it should act similarly to other IR intakes that I've run.  I think if you go for it, you will love it - Jay

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

PaulProe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 10:24:52 PM »
I have successfully run two Borla EightStack systems. I don't understand your tuner's comments about low end/street performance. That may hold true for a true Weber 48IDA setup, but not for fuel injection. I found the exact opposite. I transitioned from a Weber carb system to the first EightStack and all my driveability issues went away. That engine was a bored/stroked 390 - 432ci with a mild cam. The Borla system gave it a new life making it a very enjoyable engine in my cobra replica

I built a second car and in it put a Shelby Aluminum FE with TrickFlow heads and the Borla EightStack again. The car idles at 800-850 rpm, pulled 575 on the  dyno and last week, on a 500 mile cruise, produced 17.7mpg.  I have had my best luck using a Performance Electronics ECU. I've worked on multiple other systems and found the FAST products left a lot to be desired. Holley has some good items, but their support leaves a lot to be desired.

I've found the setup can be onerous. The linkage has to be exact or you have issues. The air balance has to be done a certain way or you have issues. But once it is all tuned in, it is truly just get in and drive. No tinkering required.

The EightStack is a real eye-catcher. Much more so than four barrel(s). The drawback: $$$  they aren't cheap. I use a rule of thumb when someone asks: plan on $6,000 for the EightStack, $1000 for a fuel system (high pressure and return also), $2500 for ECU, sensors and wiring, $2000 for tuning, $500 for  gaskets, hardware, etc. Bottom line: $12,000

Probably the biggest drawback is they are unforgiving for sloppy workmanship and that doesn't bide well with some 'so-called' mechanics.

My toy:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 10:31:06 PM by PaulProe »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 10:27:44 PM »
The combo was a solid 550/580 combo with an RPM and a 780, this one did 550/550.  So not dead on torque but less, it did have low profile TBs and no stacks above the TB, so maybe would have climbed with some runner length

Maybe there was more in the timing curve, but it met all goals.  I'd like to do another sometime
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 04:37:36 AM »
I built a second car and in it put a Shelby Aluminum FE with TrickFlow heads and the Borla EightStack again.

What size engine on that one?

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 09:21:16 AM »
Paul/Jay FWIW I used the 58 mm versions, bigger and shorter I believe than the Weber style

Ross

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 09:37:33 AM »
It currently runs "Ok", it dyno'd, when built at 500 hp but def not as crisp and responsive as I'd like and rough calculations show about 8 mpg.  So I was thinking about the holly dual quad terminator efi system. I have a trusted tuner with a dyno locally and he is well versed with it. I thought it might be a good fit for my car. In speaking to him, he was adamant about a couple of things.

Chris if you wanted to make some EFI power with that engine, I'd go with a set of Trick Flows and assuming it has a med riser intake,  then a pair of Holley throttle bodies with a Terminator X controller.   It'd be far cheaper.  That being said if your heart was set on an 8 stack, I'd likely stick a set of Trick Flows on it anyway. 

The cam will support much more power with a good set of heads, although we tend to like the better choices and more lift  in custom rollers, it'd do well.  I'd likely lash it real tight though, especially in an all alum combo.  It really is the Edels holding it back
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 09:39:46 AM by My427stang »
Ross

TurboChris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 07:13:10 PM »
Thanks guys, great info and confirms pretty much what I thought. I suspect I'll stick to the original plan and go with the dual quad Holley Terminator set up. Then I'll consider the TFS heads and maybe a cam upgrade. Ultimately I'd like to see over 600 hp but my list keeps getting longer. lol. First up is EFI and a TKX swap.
1966 Fairlane - 427 - Pond Block - Edelbrock - Tunnel Wedge

PaulProe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 07:25:14 PM »
I built a second car and in it put a Shelby Aluminum FE with TrickFlow heads and the Borla EightStack again.

What size engine on that one?

2nd engine is 4.25 x 4.125   468ci

GA445

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 02:14:49 PM »
Just my 2 cents, I had a Jim Inglese on my 445 Fairlane and could not have been more pleased. First and most important Jim Inglese and his whole crew were great to deal with, everything worked as promised right out of the box.