Author Topic: Broken off bolts  (Read 2016 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Broken off bolts
« on: April 18, 2019, 05:52:55 AM »
Broken off bolts is a thing that probably hit all of us
sooner or later. This is how i solve it, leads to victory
11 times out of 10

First i drill a hole and countersunk it in some piece of steel

Place it over the bolt

Weld and let it cool for a couple of minutes

Victory

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Broken off bolts
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:37:43 AM »
Interesting!  Nice work.

I've been lucky with welding a nut on studs to remove them.   The ol 50's Mack motors have a notorious issue with corner head bolts breaking.   Lucky the two times the nut snapped off just at the edge of the head surface.  I was able to weld a thin jam nut to the the stud and unscrew the stud.  Beats having to tear the whole top of the motor off in the truck!!
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 11:41:30 AM »
Problem with a nut is that its a litle thick to hit the bolt
with the weld on smaller bolts, thats why i countersink
so its easy to start the weld on the bolt
After i have welded i try carefully to unscrew the bolt
if i feel to much resistance i build up more weld to heat
the bolt more and most of the times it is enough
Sometime when there is limited space i have welded a washer
to the bolt and welded a nut to the washer
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:47:01 AM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 12:10:20 PM »
I like this idea, thanks.  I've done the nut welded on a broken stud, but as stated, it can be difficult to get down inside the nut and get a weld to penetrate well. 

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 12:38:22 PM »
Using a jam nut, it is half the thickness of a std nut.  Giving you room to get down onto the broken piece.  Granted these studs were 9/16", so plenty of room.  If you are dealing with 1/4"-3/8", it gets tight.
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 01:00:59 PM »
Battlestar im with you on the jamnut with bigger bolts, but then i had to find
a jamnut in my organized chaos :D Easier to find a piece of scrap and drill a hole
 And in this case it is 1/8bolt in a aluminium rear windowframe to a
Packard 633 roadster. You dont find a new one at pick your part if you blew it :D

When i do bigger bolts i often drill out the center of the bolt like drilling a 3/8 with a
1/8 so it have somwhere to shrink when it cools down

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 01:25:42 PM »
Good tip. Hadn't seen the counter sunk idea.

Along the same lines I use a washer first then weld a nut to washer. So much easier to penetrate and control the weld. And give more surface to weld the nut.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 02:38:41 PM »
Interesting!  Nice work.

I've been lucky with welding a nut on studs to remove them.   The ol 50's Mack motors have a notorious issue with corner head bolts breaking.   Lucky the two times the nut snapped off just at the edge of the head surface.  I was able to weld a thin jam nut to the the stud and unscrew the stud.  Beats having to tear the whole top of the motor off in the truck!!

The first generation of SAAB 99 with the Triumph engine was notorius for snapping headbolts ...... With the headbolts drilled
at different angle to the deckplane with stretchbolts that snapped in the middle:   You was not able to remove the head if more than
one bolt snapped... and they did :o :o   SAAB came up with a metod where you put a grease nipple in sparkplughole and pumped grease in the cylinder to lift the head somewhat to get a hacksaw blade in to cut the bolts. Then you had to remove the bolt that was cut of level with the block. I fixed that one time i made a drillbushing for the bolthole in the head drilled a hole in the bolt cut of the angle of a allenhead wrench and grinded a reversed cone to the end so the corners got sharp pounded it in with a hammer in the bolt and then i was able to remove the broken bolts

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 06:53:43 PM »
I have welded a nut on and also while it is hot try and put some candle wax around the stud and it will suck right in and loosen it up.