Author Topic: Picture/Schematic of 1965 427 FE PCV Plumbing?  (Read 5452 times)

ACHiPo

• View Profile
Re: Picture/Schematic of 1965 427 FE PCV Plumbing?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »
Just my opinion, but a closed element air cleaner would look WAY out of place on a Cobra, IF you can even fit one on it. Space is pretty tight under those hoods. I don't think you'll have room for carb spacers either, so I still think I'd look at running it to the intake.

This style is a bit overcomplicated, but I think you'll get the idea of how it can be run to the intake.

http://saacforum.com/galleryc/albums/userpics/10695/68_Shelby_GT500_PCV___Intake_Connections.jpg
Doug,
This is interesting, and looks a lot like my buddy’s 428 system.  How do I figure out where all those ports go without having the intake in my grubby hands?

Thanks,
Evan

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »
Doug,
This is interesting, and looks a lot like my buddy’s 428 system.  How do I figure out where all those ports go without having the intake in my grubby hands?

Thanks,
Evan

Evan, a quick Google image search and I came up with the picture below.
If you look closely, just in front of the big hole at the back of the intake (that hole is the 'breather basket' hole), just beside the throttle bracket holes, you can see a bung or port that goes into the rear 2 intake runners. That hole could be used for vacuum operated stuff by putting a fitting with nipples in, or you could just put a pipe thread nipple on there and run the PCV hose to it. You do need to make sure that the PCV valve at the valve cover isn't pulling in oil mist or spray though. That's why there is usually a baffle under the hole in the valve cover.

The only downside to doing it that way is if you ARE pulling in a heavy oil mist, it may foul out that cylinders plug over time (the cylinder or cylinders that that port feeds). A closed element air cleaner usually has a fiber filter that goes over the hose end, as it enters the air cleaner housing, to stop some of that mist from being sucked directly into the engine. But as long as the PCV valve is properly protected from direct oil spray/mist, that shouldn't be a problem.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 08:16:28 PM »
That's how my stock 64 intake is. But there was valvecovers with no holes and a
"filter basket" in the big hole  a hose from there to the PCV valve on a bracket
bolted to the throttle linkage bolts. Then a hose to vaccum source and a vented filler cap
on a tube in the big hole in front of the intake
I dont know but i think with the valley pan under the intake i think its less risk to suck oil
than from the valvecovers
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:18:36 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 06:33:41 PM »
Doug, Heo,
Thanks!  I think I've got enough to go on now.

Best,
Evan