Author Topic: weber carbs ford fe  (Read 10881 times)

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
weber carbs ford fe
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »
anybody use weber carbs on a big inch fe, 482, are they hard to tune compared to a regular carb, I like the look and im able to get a weber setup for a great price...

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: weber carbs ford fe
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:28:43 PM »
I assume you are getting the 48 IDAs?  My book has data on the Weber setup, with the 390 stroker engine (446"), the 427 sideoiler, and the 427 stroker (492").  I've only tuned them on the dyno, but it wasn't that tough; only problem is if you want to change jets, or air bleeds, you need 8 of everthing.  Those 48 IDA carbs will limit your power production, though.  If you are shooting for 600 HP or higher, they are not a good choice; they just can't flow the air the engine will need.  They are well matched on a 500-550 HP engine, and will make more average power than anything else in an engine like that, but if you exceed that power level, they will hold you back.

If there was some way you could run 58 IDAs instead of 48 IDAs, it might be a much different story...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:12:16 AM »
I can get any size, Berg has the 58 ida's, I may need to angle them to fit, I drive a lot of allitude changes on the weekends in the mountains, im wondering how they react to that compared to a 4 barrel quick fuel for example, im either using that carb with a turkey pan or getting the webers, they looks so damn cool...

jimeast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:30:23 AM »
Does Berg have these???  In recent years they were offered but not available.  I tried for several years to buy a set to no avail.  JayCee (spelling?) might be a better provider for large bore Weber carbs

I can get any size, Berg has the 58 ida's, I may need to angle them to fit, I drive a lot of allitude changes on the weekends in the mountains, im wondering how they react to that compared to a 4 barrel quick fuel for example, im either using that carb with a turkey pan or getting the webers, they looks so damn cool...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:32:16 AM by jimeast »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 10:08:07 AM »
Berg has 58 and even 60 IDA's Didn't know they came that big, yet the price just about stopped my heart! Hah!

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=8_240_2841
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 11:05:45 AM »
Berg has 58 and even 60 IDA's Didn't know they came that big, yet the price just about stopped my heart! Hah!

Come on, Bob. You only need FOUR of them :o :o
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »
No, I need 6 for my V-12 Lambo................Not!  ;)
Bob Maag

jimeast

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »
I would be very surprised if you can get them.  The JayCee I mentioned has bigger throats than the Bergs, not sure they can be bought anymore either, but the odds are better.

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 01:05:09 PM »
If I could guarantee the performance would be the same and it would behave like a 4 barrel I would do it, I really love the look and sound of them, I know if I was just racing or showing the car I could get away with it, I do a lot of altitude driving where I start at low altitude and drive to high, I live in the flats and drive to the mountains, I love the EFI system that is 8 stack, but would rather stay period correct with carbs...I will probably just use the 4 barrel with a turkey pan, I think in the end it will be better for driving and budget...

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
Does Berg have these???  In recent years they were offered but not available.  I tried for several years to buy a set to no avail.  JayCee (spelling?) might be a better provider for large bore Weber carbs
thanks for the info, his stuff looks great, all billet and good prices...

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 01:29:27 PM »
How about an adapter that would raise the IDA' s up, leaving space below to mount 4 DCOE' s.

That combo should provide enough airflow. Angling everything inward would probably help with clearance issues, and who knows, 4 IDA' s plus 4 DCOE' s might end up being cheaper than 4 of anything from Berg.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 01:32:38 PM »
If I could guarantee the performance would be the same and it would behave like a 4 barrel I would do it, I really love the look and sound of them, I know if I was just racing or showing the car I could get away with it, I do a lot of altitude driving where I start at low altitude and drive to high, I live in the flats and drive to the mountains, I love the EFI system that is 8 stack, but would rather stay period correct with carbs...I will probably just use the 4 barrel with a turkey pan, I think in the end it will be better for driving and budget...

Have you considered this? http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/efi-systems/ez-efi-2-0-self-tuning-fuel-injection/ The efi would be great for constant/drastic altitude changes. Plus this one looks similar to a carb and you would'nt tell much under an air cleaner. Just food for thought. Please excuse the make in the second pic, it is for general idea only. I do not condone it! I couldn't find a lot of pics of Fords with this setup.

Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »
everyone I talked to about the self learning efi systems says to just use a carb, I think that is what the fast system is you have pictured, there are many companies with the self learning efi and some love it, most engine builders I have talked to say just use the carb, but you are right it would help with altitude, the 8 stack efi is sweet but at $6000 I would rather have a quick fuel and spend the extra cash on fuel... I just love the weber look with the gold polished trumpets...

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 03:19:54 PM »
no doubt about it, for just the COOL factor the Weber type set up looks awesome.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
You can always do the fuel injected Weber lookalike deal & get the best of both worlds.  Of course the cost once running would be enough to stop your heart....