Author Topic: SBF 408 sitting for 14yrs...opinions on next steps.  (Read 1437 times)

chilly460

• View Profile
SBF 408 sitting for 14yrs...opinions on next steps.
« on: July 26, 2018, 02:41:23 PM »
Finally dug out the 408 Windsor I've had sitting around, figured out it's been sitting for 14yrs!!!  Where does the time go?  It's survived four moves, a divorce, and being leapfrogged by the Mercury project and is finally ready to work on it again. 

Anyway, the engine was dyno'd in 2004, installed in car but then shelved.  Hydraulic roller cam deal.  It's been in good dry storage, but it has been subject to temp and humidity swings.  I scoped the cylinders, they actually look very clean although there is some surface rust on the cylinders above the top ring line.  Nothing major, but it's there. 

I initially would turn it over every couple months but that halted at some point.  In my opinion since it was run, the springs would have had their initial break in, but then shouldn't have lost any tension while sitting.  I do have an Intercomp spring tester so I can squeeze them up and see how they check out. 

So, my plan is to pop the heads off and take a look at the cylinders.  If it's as expected, I'll just do a quickie cleanup on the surface rust at the very top of the cylinder to make sure it hasn't crept and hang up a ring.  I'll tear the heads down to check the valve spring pressures, and make sure nothing varnished in the guides, as well as make sure the valve seats didn't get rusty. 

Bottom end, just pop a rod cap or two off, and a main and make sure it doesn't have any rust. 

Other than that, repaint the block, clean up the aluminum bits, button it up, prelube, and run it on my test stand. 

Anything I'm missing? 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:08:19 PM by chilly460 »

Lenz

• View Profile
Re: SBF 408 sitting for 14yrs...opinions on next steps.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 03:22:22 PM »
You're way more thorough than I'd be, that's certain.  I'd be pulling the plugs and squirting in a bit of marvel mystery oil, tug dizzy and pre-lube, reset dizzy, put plugs back in and fire it up.  If it's been in good dry storage that rust shouldn't be much more than a haze.  Just a lazy man's opinion, but I can't see what you'd hurt.  You can dress up the visuals and end up with it looking like you just assembled it.  Since it's been dyno'd you already know it's together right.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »
I'm with Len.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 04:04:40 PM »
Yeah, 3X. Just do minimal work, maybe pull the intake, re-lube the cam & lifters. Just pull a few springs at random for a check. Crank w/o plugs for a tad, re-install same and fire her up!
Bob Maag

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:22:19 PM »
Put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and let it sit a few days and turn it over several times a day then you
should be good to go. Be sure and change out the oil because of condensation.  Pull the dizzy like the others have said and oil it up.
I just fired up a 1950 Ford 226H flathead that I had sitting in my garage for the last 25 years.  Put MMO in the cylinders and kept
turning it over.  Got a couple valves unstuck with it.  Drained the oil and some condensation came out at first where it had been sitting for so long. Changed the filter and filled er up with 15-40W diesel oil.  Fired it up and it smoked like crazy for a few minutes then settled down
and runs great. 30lbs oil pressure and 17 inches of vacuum at idle.
Fire that thing up !

garyv