Author Topic: Buy New or Revive Old? Place your vote and reasoning  (Read 7431 times)

Thumperbird

• View Profile
Buy New or Revive Old? Place your vote and reasoning
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »
Just for fun, looking for others perspective on whether to buy a new F150 or revive my 2000 F150.

I know most folks here are doers so I suspect maybe the votes will slant that way but just wondering how crazy it is to redo an old truck versus buy new.  Money is not particularly an issue though it isn't falling off trees either, just hard to part with a truck only because it looks like crap but the wife does not want to ride in it.  She has a nice new SUV.

Old = 2000 F150 Lariet with 130K miles, all lower body panels have the usual rot, reviving would mean spending ~$2K for materials (includes paint) and I do all the work including full paint job.  Not a 4wd truck so that is a negative overall but I only need 4wd about twice a year.  Interior is nice and all metal other than lower body panels is in good shape.  Runs well but looks like hell.

New = 2018 F150 XL with a few options, including 4x4, would be ~$35k.  Would be stuck with a payment but interest rates are low.

I only put ~10k miles on a vehicle a year.

What would you guys do?

Thanks.

Lenz

• View Profile
Re: Buy New or Revive Old? Place your vote and reasoning
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »
Me, I'd fix the old one.  If the rot's too bad you can always get a used bed, cab, doors, don't think fenders are too much either.  That's the beauty of pickups, everything from front to back just unbolts and you roll it off the frame.  Since everything else but the body is decent it comes down to what you value more, your time and labor or the roughly 30k the new one sets you back beyond fixing the one you have.  I have redone a couple (including one I rolled) and working the body portion isn't nearly as time consuming as a typical car IMO.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 08:16:35 PM »
Do whichever is more financially sound. Cars lose value and fast. The old truck won’t be worth much more than it is now. If 2k fixes it and you get 5 years...it cost you 2k. Loooong way from 35k. Or, here is a curve ball, find a classic that needs a little work and you may put some cash into but be able to get it back out. This can work pretty well on late 69s to late 70s Ford Trucks.  Certain older cars will not lose value. All new cars will, aside from specialty go fast rigs.  You have to watch your budget on the older old ones though. My .02 and I am a tad frugal at times.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:57:28 AM by HarleyJack17 »

HTM101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 08:01:43 AM »
Would the purchase of a 2015-2016 F150 be an option for you?  That could put you in the $22k-25k range.

chris401

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »
Just for fun, looking for others perspective on whether to buy a new F150 or revive my 2000 F150.

I know most folks here are doers so I suspect maybe the votes will slant that way but just wondering how crazy it is to redo an old truck versus buy new.  Money is not particularly an issue though it isn't falling off trees either, just hard to part with a truck only because it looks like crap but the wife does not want to ride in it.  She has a nice new SUV.

Old = 2000 F150 Lariet with 130K miles, all lower body panels have the usual rot, reviving would mean spending ~$2K for materials (includes paint) and I do all the work including full paint job.  Not a 4wd truck so that is a negative overall but I only need 4wd about twice a year.  Interior is nice and all metal other than lower body panels is in good shape.  Runs well but looks like hell.

New = 2018 F150 XL with a few options, including 4x4, would be ~$35k.  Would be stuck with a payment but interest rates are low.

What would you guys do?

Thanks.
When things were going good we would pay off everything as soon as possible and use what we have. Keeping it simple has helped us when times got tuff. If there is not undercarage rust I would repair the 2000. Is it a 4.6?

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 08:25:01 AM »
Hard to compare the two with the age difference , it's Night and Day difference , the new will have a fully boxed frame that the 2002 won't have , Engine and Transmission are in a different Ball Park than the 2002  , heck the whole drivetrain is just has more Brakes just everything ,the safety systems are way better like side air bags and such ,  here in the "Rust Belt" 2002's are getting at the age where we are seeing the frames break/rust in two and vehicle getting scrapped ... I'll vote on the newer because it has more power , better mileage , just safer and better

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 08:31:27 AM »
Personally, looks alone would drive me to buy a new F-150 over anything  in the 1997-2010 time frame. JMO, but unless it was a SVT, it is not worth putting any money into body work.  Ride quality, options, fuel mileage, all make buying new and taking care of it is the way to go.  After 18 years, it is time since it is not a classic.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »
Thought about an old one but need reliable winter vehicle.
Not a big fan of buying used due to risk, even if perceived.
2000 F150 Truck is a 5.4l, frame is decent I think.

I was about to ask, last response did not post for some reason,  if anyone just said screw it, bought new, let the old one go even if not worn out but a couple of you guys beat me to the answer.

You just don't see many older trucks on the road, is it because of high mileage, lacks of skills to revive?  Time is too valuable?  Lack of motivation?  Safety and comfort as mentioned, what is it?

I am not a fan yet of the new designs although they are finally going away from the gargantuan grills and super high stance that tried to make pickups look like semi's, I guess that is what real men want?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »
  here in the "Rust Belt" 2002's are getting at the age where we are seeing the frames break/rust in two and vehicle getting scrapped ... I'll vote on the newer because it has more power , better mileage , just safer and better

I finally replaced my 2000 Excursion for this reason.  At "only" 200,000 miles and 17 years of daily Michigan use I realized that the structural integrity was becoming compromised.  It had reached a point where I was servicing something every couple of weeks, and all the doors, the rocker panels, and the "B" and "C" pillars all had significant rust out.  The cost of maintenance and repair outweighed the value of the vehicle.  I still miss that damn truck.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 09:45:24 AM »
Thought about an old one but need reliable winter vehicle.
Not a big fan of buying used due to risk, even if perceived.
2000 F150 Truck is a 5.4l, frame is decent I think.

high mileage, lacks of skills to revive?  Time is too valuable?  Lack of motivation?  Safety and comfort as mentioned?
Yep, and add fuel mileage too.  All of those reasons are valid depending on who you are and what you bring to the table.  I drive my '69 a lot and the 300 3 speed stick is not a mileage king.  I've got a nice '78 overdrive in my garage to swap in that'll help there, but that's part of running the old stuff.  I also have a '14 F150 that is the nicest all around vehicle I've ever owned, it's highly reliable, the 5.0 has plenty of power and it gets great mileage too (compared to the old stuff anyway).
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 10:14:13 AM »
Yeah, that's another thing about the older stuff.  I've been around Erie all my life and back in the 60's and 70's it was rare to find a 100,000 mile vehicle in the junk yard.  Most had significant rot by 50k if they got that far.  The up side was a ton of good mechanical stuff was readily available, it didn't have time to wear out.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 10:34:59 AM »
I would go new.  Not that I am a fan of them, but considering your old truck and what it would take to make it presentable?   Might as well go new.

Beside the electrical nightmare of a new truck, I just don't care for the BIG wheels and the ridiculously tall bedsides.   They are not user friendly in my opinion.  I did see a late model F150 last summer.  It has smaller rims/tires on it, sat down enough you didn't have to crawl up into it like an old school 4x4 that was jacked up.  Not that I'm ready for a truck payment, I'm going to milk my '95 for many, many years.

Larry

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 11:39:49 AM »
Larry, same here. I just repaired my 95 F350 7.3 crewcab . New rockers are not available for crew cabs but I got factory style replacements for standard cab and made a set. New cab mount and cab corners Some floor work and it as good as new and NO DAM PAYMENTS for a over priced work truck.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 12:01:29 PM »
So this is getting to be a 50/50 deal, who would have thought?

I do have custom wheels and a nice lid for the old beast, which of course will not fit a new truck at least without some finagling.

Will be a shame to see it all go given the low miles, just so hard not to think that I did not get my monies worth out of it.  If it was needing maintenance routinely that would be a different story but it is mostly care free, knock on wood.

They do still sit up high and bed sides are high, hell makes me want to get the stupid integrated rear step.

I have flipped both ways several times in the last few days, still noodling on this, part of me is cheap and hates to get rid of a vehicle with known history and life left but cosmetically challenged but I do see the value in all the things that come with new.

It's both a curse and a blessing to be able to fix and rebuild things or at least think you can, ALWAYS projects to do!

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
By the way, cab corners are good, bottoms of rockers are almost gone but rot has not crept around the side at all yet so I think I would just clean that up and tack in a piece of sheet stock on the underside.
Otherwise it would be repair panels on all 4 doors and all 4 corners of the box.  Maybe I will try and put a photo up for fun.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 12:31:24 PM »
This + ~$2K + ~100 hours of my labor

Versus

This + ~$35K plus higher tabs and insurance

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
Guess it boils down to what YOU want?  Why not try to find a nice southern version of your truck? 

I paid premium for my latest '95 F150, but it was local, stored winters(rust free), 60K miles and well taken care of.  Still way cheaper then a late model truck.  I can still work on it too.  My only real gripe is the squeaky plastic in these trucks.  They weren't bad 20+ yrs ago(I had a new '96 F350), but now it really gets annoying sometimes.   I've lost track of the amount of compliments I get driving this around.  People are amazed it is laser straight, rust free and shiny.

I had to ditch the window visors and tail light covers.  I'm not into that crap.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 12:54:34 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 02:28:39 PM »
Nice looking truck.  I had a 5.0 '95 4 x 2 from new, only real problem I had was the rear spring perches rotted out after about 90,000 miles.  Thought it weird until I found my local dealership had them on the shelf, meaning it was a common problem.  Other than that I got rid of it around 150k, was a good truck.
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 09:54:18 PM »
Common issue with these vintage of trucks.  Whatever piss poor coating Ford put on these frames was HORRIBLE.  It rusted from under it and those hanger brackets held dirt, moisture and then rotted to nothing.  The '95 F250 at work has had both rear mounts and front radius arms replaced and it isn't really that rusty because it sits inside for the most part.

My '89 I sold off when I found this '95 was perfect underneath when I bought it.  Came from NC and it was still shiny black underneath.  I oil sprayed it twice a year for the 7? years I owned it.  Messy, but never rusted, anywhere.  I've oil sprayed the '95 too, every nook and cranny.  It will be around for a long time.
Larry

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 10:50:04 AM »
I wouldn't do either. What I have been doing for years is buy a late model vehicle from insurance salvage auctions. If you can do body & paint work, it's a cheap way to move into a late model. Most of the time it takes me over a year to find what I want with the right damage, price & mileage. I usually go & look at the vehicle b4 I bid. It's not ez-peazy, there are broker fees, buyer fees, towing fees and a reconstructed title to deal with. The thing is that wreck trucked was going down the road right up until the accident, while that used truck sitting on the lot could have a host of issues.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2018, 11:55:41 AM »
Sell both of them and buy a 67-76 F-series.
:P

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2018, 02:30:15 PM »
I would buy new and shop around extensively.  Consider last years model and not worry about it. 

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2018, 05:43:16 PM »

What would you guys do?

Thanks.

Without question the 2018 over the 2001.  It will have the new 10 spd trans. You did not say what engine? 2.7 or 5.0 or the small 6 cyl. Keep the 2001 as a when the need arises.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2018, 07:53:53 PM »
Had not decided on an engine.
Not a fan of "Ecoboost" so either the V6 or 5.4.
The V6 comes with a 6 speed, the 10 speed scares me.
If a test drive shows the V6 has enough power I may go that route.
Normally I buy the biggest engine I can get in everything but this is a commuter truck that may occasionally see a trailer or a bed full of rock.

Still not sure, need to inspect the underside of the old truck and see if the frame is good, that may be an instant decision maker.

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2018, 10:05:21 PM »
I know we all are die-hard Ford folks, but this week, I had an opportunity to go to lunch with a friend who also is a dyed in the wool Ford man, but he recently jumped off the bandwagon and bought a new Honda Ridgeline.  It gets 28.5 mpg mixed driving, and over 30mpg on the road.  Has all kinds of innovative options, and rides great with the IRS, carries a half ton, and has a hidden compartment in under the bed of the truck.  Has a frame, so not unibody if I understand correctly for 2018.  Never owned a Honda, but I was impressed, especially with fuel mileage and comfort for a commuter type half-ton hauler.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 09:18:00 AM »
Hey, glad you mentioned the Ridgeline, will need to go take a look at one.
I know they redesigned it, was not a fan at all of the old model.
I've had a couple Acura's, their V6 is a bullet proof plenty powerful sewing machine engine.   

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »
I'd rather walk.
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2018, 12:21:21 PM »
There are some 'foreign vehicles I'd consider (I've owned an Austin-Healey--long ago-- and, more recently, a Jaguar) but none of the Jap or other Oriental offerings, and certainly no other 'American' vehicle. I try to look at where the profit ultimately goes.

KS

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2018, 01:24:39 PM »
The only foreign car I ever wanted was a Sunbeam Tiger. Even back in the '70s they were already out of my price range, but what a cool car. I get it, Jap cars are good cars & I am sure I am of the last generation to give a shit about trying to keep jobs here and all of that, but that's the way my narrow mind works.
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2018, 03:14:34 PM »
Honda/Acura has about a dozen US manufacturing plants, maybe parts, cars, trucks, motorcycles, and jets.  Toyota is the same way I believe.  I go for best deal all the way around between quality, performance, looks, and cost.  Many many Fords are made in Mexico, and their european and asian markets are all manufactured overseas. 

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »
To each his own.  I don't drive a new Ford because of getting screwed royally on the last two I bought.  Learned my lesson the hard/expensive way after driving Fords since 1962.  Lost my "lemon law" case when Ford brought an 83 year old attorney out of retirement to fight me. Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »
Me to, Ford truck maybe, anything else, no way.
Bought a 94 wagon, rear suspension, head gaskets, ac compressor, power windows, all crapped out just after 60k mile warranty expired.  Talked to a regional rep, since I didn't have my oil changes done at a dealer she questioned my maintenance, almost fell off my chair.  Engine blew up on the guy that bought it from me, I warned him and gave a good deal.  I have bought a couple Ford trucks, been pretty good but coil packs and fuel pumps failed before 100k miles and needless to say the F150 rotted prematurely in my opinion.

Now that you've got me thinking about it, I hope I like the Ridgeline!   

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2018, 07:56:36 AM »
We've had a couple Honda Accords here at work for VP to drive.   Got 300K miles out of them without much fuss.  Not my cup of tea and personally the seating is horrible.  It's like a park bench, flat and not enough cushion.  Plus it is built for 5ft tall people.  With the seat all the way back for me(5-10), you are behind the door pillar, no place to rest your left arm and the right arm rest isn't worth much.  The newest one, 2017, is better overall, but still not what I call comfortable.

The 2012 Chevy truck(sales truck) has the most comfortable seats ever.  Thoroughly impressed after doing a 6 hr trip in it.  Side bolsters and such just hug you and you aren't achy and stiff after a long drive.

We got 300K out of our 2001 F150/5.4/4wd.  It fell off that preverbial cliff and has lots of stupid issues, but it still runs/drives and gets you there and back.
Larry

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »
Just talked to my Honda guy at work here (Hollander) and he states the Ridgeline is a unibody, shares many parts with the Pilot and Odyssey.Jim

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2018, 11:59:01 AM »
Got a friend who just traded his Ridgeline, had it for around 5 years.  We all referred to it as a "gentleman's" truck.  Minimal cargo are but a great place to ice down your beer.  Saw it once loaded with some slab wood, didn't look like it had signed on for that duty.  But in the end, he had no complaints about it.  Went out and bought a new Tacoma instead, more "truck-like".
Len Zielinski
'69 F100 300 stick

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2018, 12:02:19 PM »
I will give my .02 again, hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me....I can't afford to drive new all the time or even half the time. Here are the vehicles I have dealt with in my 38 or so years.
My 1st at 16, 1977 Dodge Van with no windows...yeah moms loved to see me show up. Decent vehicle over all mechanically. Sucked the fuel and totaled it.
2nd was 1987 S10 Blazer of issues, it was old and I put it through the ringer since it was my first 4x4...so maybe not a good review.
3rd was 1991 Toyota 4banger 4 spd- Hard life but overall I put close to 100K on it with very minor repairs.

4th was a new 03 SuperDuty with a V10 and 4x4. First and only new truck I ever bought and still have today. I can not say I am impressed. Never broke 11 mpg and by 80K miles, I have replaced 2 alternators, blew a head gasket(re-did both heads), has burned a little oil since day one, replaced a broke cable on the SC door, has relay issue for windows/radio, replaced radiator cap, and rebuilt the entire front end(steering, outter bearings, ball joints...all of it wore out). Truck has not seen any type of major duty or off road use. Now has 100K on it. Pretty sad to rebuild two major components on a truck that has 80K and cost me a lot. Not Happy and I would be very hard pressed to buy another.  Lot of folks running SDuty's did the same as me.

5th Nissan Titan Pro4x-2015 Model. Loved it but a POS. Only truck to date that I had to have towed. Oddly met the prior owner who I was told was an old lady(knew that was lie)...he traded bc it stayed in the shop more than on the road...makes ya feel great! Cracked both exhaust manifolds twice and blew a main wire fuse once. Bad engineering on the exhaust since they had 4 cats. First two were less than a foot from the last cylinder and generated too much heat. I put 25K on it and took a hell of hit on it.
2005 Honda Pilot-Bought with 25K now has 200K...knock on wood-0 issues.
2015 Jeep Wrangler @ 15K now has 40K...know on wood-so far so good.

In between these, we (my family) had a 1989 Toyota Celica's bought it for fuel economy since the V10 was killing me. Had 170K on it, and when I parted with it she had 270K on it. Put tires and one CV axle on it. Best damn car next to the Pilot I ever owned...beats the Pilot since I only paid $500 for her.

1993 and 1987 Nissan Hardbody trucks. Both over 200K miles and bought new. Replaced one starter and one alternator. Great Trucks of the time.

Next one will be a Dodge or Chevy truck likely....bad as I hate to say. But the old Highboy went through hell for a loooong time before it died.
Simple has its advantages.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2018, 05:12:52 PM »
Leaning towards redoing what I have, just don't feel like I've gotten my money's worth or driven it into the ground so might just have to revive it, still need to check the frame though.

As for new, I would probably go with the Ridgeline Black Edition, nice looking inside and out and likely long lasting.  Plenty good capacity for me, volume of bed is poor but that is not a big deal most of the time either, holds a sheet of plywood but would have to get creative hauling long boards.

Not sure I would call it a truck but like I said, mostly a flexible commuter.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2018, 05:32:10 PM »
Had a late 90's Celica for a while as well, bought it for kids to drive.
They beat the shit out of it, ran like a watch, no issues, went from 120K used to 200k before my daughter wrinkled the front end.  Dealership took it on trade, straightened it just enough and sold it for an obscene amount of money.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2018, 11:36:04 AM »
I like the 1993 F-350 DRW.  Nice truck and is fairly easy to work on.  I would prefer a late 90s diesel crew cab DRW for the load we pull - even though I don't know crp about diesels. 

We also have a 2004 F-150 Super Crew.  I plan to keep it as long as possible.  The basic thought is that even if I have to replace the trans or the motor - or both - at some point, there still won't be a $600/mth payment for 6 years on the thing.  The new trucks are nice - but I'd rather not be thinking about social security payments at 66 y 4 m with a huge car payment that would run another 2 years past that. 

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2018, 06:10:10 PM »
In the past, I typically kept a truck at least 14 years, and only got rid of one when someone hit me and ruined a good vehicle.  I had three Ford trucks that were excellent, and that is why I wanted a new crew cab XLT as my supposedly "last new truck".  At 72, I don't want a new vehicle payment any more either.  New trucks today with all the options are priced for young folks making six figure incomes, not retirees.  A F-150 Platinum is over $50K, and the King Ranch editions are ~$70K or more depending on options.  That is outrageous for a vehicle that someone can total while driving and texting.  Insurance for those new vehicles is another issue.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500