Author Topic: Scat vs. Professional Products Balancers  (Read 3688 times)

emorrison96

• View Profile
Scat vs. Professional Products Balancers
« on: September 16, 2014, 03:56:55 PM »
Looking for an aftermarket balancer and had 2 questions for anybody who can answer regarding aftermarket balancers for an FE:

1.  Both Professional Products and Scat make a non SFI balancer with part #'s 80008/D-80008 respectively as well as SFI versions 90009/D-90009.  Aside from the part numbers being almost identical, in all of the pictures I was able to find of the Scat balancer there was a Professional products sticker on it.  Is the Scat version simply a rebranded Professional products one?

2.  Any real opinions on SFI vs. non-SFI?  I know one is supposed to be tested or manufactured to SFI standard and one is not, but does that really mean anything on the street?

Thank you guys!

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Scat vs. Professional Products Balancers
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »
They are identical parts.
I have used the Pro Products part in street builds and it has been OK.  Given the option I will usually move to another brand for better quality - Powerbond or Romac are most often chosen for better street use.  Race cars get ATI.

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 06:03:11 AM »
My professional products balancer hasn't caused me any problems .But now that it is 6-7 years old the paint is coming off. And with the paint comes the numbers for the timing marks .There are no indentions for the numbers or marks either .I wish I had know this whenever I purchased it .I wanted a new harmonic balancer for my 428cj cyclone .I bought a pioneer street balancer for around $140 The numbers are etched and it looks a lot like a factory balancer .Pioneer offers a race balancer as well but I am not familiar with that piece .I have an old original 427 harmonic balancer .The rubber is dry rotting away I will probably send it off to be repaired and use the not so professional products balancer as a paper weight .My opinion is to stay away from the scat or professional products harmonic balancer .Doug

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
Two thumbs up on the Pioneers!  If you don't want to go ATI, go Pioneer SFI............and if it is a grocery getter, the stock replacement Pioneer is also dandy.  The quality on the Pioneer is superior to the Professional China Products ones.
Blair Patrick