Author Topic: 1969 Torino Cobra body work?  (Read 542 times)

FESCJ

• View Profile
1969 Torino Cobra body work?
« on: December 17, 2022, 02:33:30 PM »
Hello folks! I apologize if I've put this under an incorrect topic, but it seemed my best choice. Ok, I have a 69 Torino Cobra formal roof car I'm restoring. The 428 engine is done and I'm currently finishing up things with the C6 trans. I am having a terrible time finding anyone willing to do the body work on this car. I am located in central Ohio and virtually everyone I've contacted so far prefers to do collision work. My car needs to be smoothed out for paint, all rust repair is done and was nicely done. The body as the car stands is not bad, but again will need some work. At last count I've spoken with about 25 places in central Ohio or in Ohio in general. Would anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer to stay within Ohio. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thx, Brian

482supersnake

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Torino Cobra body work?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 04:35:50 PM »
Your best bet would be to try and find someone who does it for side work out of their house. Most commercial shops aren't interested in that type of work. Maybe contact some local mustang or chevy clubs as they might know someone.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 05:53:11 PM »
If you have an area vocation-technical school near you that has an auto body program then they can do the prep work you need.
Keep in mind that these kids are learning but with a good instructor they can put out fine work including paint.
I used to instruct in one here in Oklahoma.
Greg

mike7570

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 11:34:17 PM »
I had the same problem here in Calif. None of the shops were willing to do the paint so I checked a high end custom shop and they weren’t too much more than the no name shops. The car is coming out very nice but the down side is they are overloaded and high visibility jobs like SEMA cars get priority, 15 months in the paint shop and I’m hoping it’s done by New Years.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 08:49:35 AM »
Hey Brian I have a guy just below you here in KY that would be hard to beat. He is a one man show that typically does full restorations. But certainly will pass along his information to you if interested and you can discuss with him.