Author Topic: Way off topic .. mattress for my Mama and Daddy  (Read 1716 times)

winr1

Way off topic .. mattress for my Mama and Daddy
« on: December 11, 2020, 08:08:46 AM »
Mama is 91, Daddy is 97 ....  I buy them a new mattress whenever I can talk them into one

They agreed yesterday but I dont know what to get ..

My mattress is around 30 years old, have slept on about anything in another life so dont know what a good mattress feels like

No pillow top, they have a real thick mattress with pillow top and their legs dont touch the floor, hard to get into bed as well

Queen size medium ( not soft or firm ), I have read some name brands are not actually that great

Ricky.

1964Fastback

• View Profile
Re: Way off topic .. mattress for my Mama and Daddy
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 08:24:24 AM »
Good luck with your hunt.  I've read that most "independent" web sites that review mattresses (and likely extends to other products) are not impartial at all and receive kickbacks from the various manufacturers.  If they don't give consistent, positive reviews for a manufacturer, the money stops coming in.  So their reviews are worthless.

You might check to see if you have a local manufacturer in your state.  We do in Indiana, and they seem to have a good reputation for quality construction.  You might have one of these smaller, niche places nearby too.

I've also read that the claims you have to/should replace every 8 years is a crock as well.  Also the trend where only one side of the mattress is usable (meaning you can't flip it) is a gimmick as well.  I don't know about lately, but a few years ago it was almost impossible to find one in a store where both sides of the mattress were usable.

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 08:24:46 AM »
We've tried several in the past decade or so.   We had a Sleep Number which was straight up horrible.  I tried every number on the thing and couldn't get comfortable.   We then tried a "Puffy" mattress which is an internet mattress that comes to you in a small box and expands when you take it out of the vacuum bag.  It was a little too soft for my back after I herniated a disc, so we swapped it to our guest room and then we bought a "Layla" internet mattress.  It has two sides to it, a firm and a medium.   We both love it. 

The internet deals have really caught on lately.   They come in a small box so you don't have to take a truck and pick them up, or carry a big mattress up the stairs.  You literally just unbox it, cut the bag that it's in, and it swells up to size. 

In addition, most of the internet mattress firms say that you can try it out for 30-60-90 days and if you don't like it, they will refund your money and donate the mattress.  Hard to beat that.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »
Ricky, I think you're based in the Houston area?  If so you could try calling the guy at Tx Mattress Makers.  He manufactures local and pushes his ability to do custom work if needed.  Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 12:18:15 PM »
Sam's Club. They carry Serta memory foam mattresses at a very good price. They come in 3 different firmness,  they tend to retain warmth,  but at their age they'll like it.
Save the packaging and receipt, lifetime warranty, if they don't like it take it back for full refund, no questions asked, get a firmer or softer one while your there and let them try that one. They are fairly priced
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:53:31 PM by wowens »
Woody

mike7570

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 01:06:04 PM »
Ricky,
There comes a time (age) when there are other considerations to make life easier for our parents. while a new pillow top type mattress would be nice perhaps you should consider some alternatives. I moved my father into my house at age 88 and to make things easier on him I purchased a residential style motorized medical bed. With a controller he could raise and lower the bed (to assist getting in and out) he could tilt either end and sit up comfortably. The bed came with a gel top water proof mattress that was quite comfortable. He passed last May at age 93 and I was able to sell the bed easily to another family needing one for an elderly parent.
Just something to consider.
Mike     

winr1

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 11:35:21 PM »
Thanks guys

All of the mattress's I like are tall... 11" to 12"

I found a 2" foundation so I dont have to build one, the old foundation is around 8" tall

Ricky.

winr1

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 11:38:39 PM »
Mike , ya did good for ya Daddy ..... too many have no respect for elders these days it seems

Sorry for ya loss, but glad ya both were together ... nothing can replace that

Family is everything to me

They will eventually live with me and I will get to listen to them bicker daily .... lol

Ricky.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 11:03:58 AM »
There are worse things then buying a mattress, but I can't think of any right now LOL!!  It's all personal preference and with all that is available these days it's hard to pin one down with test driving it first.

One thing I like is a TWO SIDED mattress.   So you can flip it regularly and gain that 'new' feel back.   My previous one was one sided and it wore down quickly and once it has a sink hole, it's screwed.  My current model is two sided and I bought it at a local mattress factory store.  No fuss, pick the one you like and they deliver it.  No high pressure salesman hounding you.

Yes, seems most all new mattresses are super tall(pillow top).  Not made for short legged people.
Larry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 02:25:22 PM »
The parallel to buying a car is closest, and remember the first price isn't the real price and you can get extras thrown in too. 

End of month buys are big, they'll work wonders on pricing at places like Mattress Firm, etc
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch