Author Topic: Putting A Little Pep In My 390's Step  (Read 22721 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Putting A Little Pep In My 390's Step
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2023, 09:04:14 AM »
Outstanding job, Jared, your attention to detail and your thought process for making the modifications is something we should all strive for.  Can't wait to see it in the car!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2023, 10:51:48 AM »
Fantastic work, Jared. You and Keith (fekbmax) take it to the next level with your attention to detail. I really hope you're satisfied with the results when you get to drive it and get some tuning done.

Just curious, what's the thought process on the external bypass for the oil pump? Once you get any bugs worked out and are satisfied that it's dependable, do you have any hopes for a drag & drive event, or just street and strip miles?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2023, 04:01:41 PM »
Very nice eye candy Jared!  I too am impressed with your attention to detail.  It will be interesting to see how that external oil pump bypass works out.  It should eliminate the oil aeration problem of the internal bypass.

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2023, 04:37:01 PM »
Which engineering field do you get paid to create in. Whew!

Which logging system does that fuel psi sensor work with?

Nice stuff man.
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2023, 09:03:53 PM »
Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. It means a lot. :)  Jay, you're being way too kind. I wouldn't give me THAT much credit. ;D

Fantastic work, Jared. You and Keith (fekbmax) take it to the next level with your attention to detail. I really hope you're satisfied with the results when you get to drive it and get some tuning done.

Just curious, what's the thought process on the external bypass for the oil pump? Once you get any bugs worked out and are satisfied that it's dependable, do you have any hopes for a drag & drive event, or just street and strip miles?

Thanks Doug. I agree, Mr. Keith does very nice work. As Mr. Bill alluded to, one of the main benefits of the external bypass is to help eliminate possible aeration. It can also help to reduce oil temp. slightly. If the Drag-n-Drive route comes close, I may consider it. For now, street/strip. I have a 4.86 gear in the car now, but I feel it will want more. I already have a 5.14 waiting on the sideline.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2023, 09:12:57 PM »
Which engineering field do you get paid to create in. Whew!

Which logging system does that fuel psi sensor work with?

Nice stuff man.

Jim, I'm self-sufficient. ;D I do this for a hobby like most of us here. The fuel pressure sensor is for my AutoMeter gauge. I went with the electric fuel pressure and water temp gauges because it is a little cleaner install and that way I could get around having an isolator for the fuel pressure, since the gauges are mounted in the car. I went with mechanical for oil pressure, just because I thought it was a better option for oil press. I run -4AN line to eliminate bubbles in the line and false reading.
Jared

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2023, 05:45:45 AM »

Same windage tray and scraper as before.

Interesting. I use similar screen and I had to cut a piece out to get the stick to fit.
Kool build.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2023, 04:38:57 PM »
I just read through all this, very nice work! Engine sounds great on the stand.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2023, 07:43:01 PM »
Thank you, Howie and Mike. Howie, I believe I made a slight trim for the dipstick but can't remember...
Jared

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2023, 04:03:49 AM »
After looking at this post I realize just how lazy I am !!!Doug

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2023, 08:22:18 PM »
I have two sets of carbs to try on this engine. Well, 3 if I want to throw some extra stuff together. For now, I have a set of "550" cfm carbs spec'd for this combo by Allstate. They started with 600 vacuums and converted to mech. secondaries. They installed some of their straight leg skirted annular boosters. They figure the real estate the new boosters takes up makes them closer to 550 cfm.

Anyway, I decided I also wanted to try and make a set of my own. I was thinking of a high flow 650-ish cfm vacuum. So, I started with two new replacement main bodies from Holley. They are 1 1/4", 1 5/16" venturi. I noticed when setting the base gasket on or even the baseplate that the venturi was small up until the last 1/4" before the base. It has two flares at the bottom to go out to the 1 11/16" throttle bore size.

I also wanted to install some different boosters to replace the generic straight legs. So I knocked those out and now I can also deburr and blend the entry into the venturi.

I was very careful to leave the entry size the same. I found a socket that was exactly 1 1/4" and another that was 1 5/16" OD. That was my "gauge". I decide to port them to the full 1 11/16" size to match the baseplate perfectly. I spent a good couple days whittling away. I used a small metal ruler as a straight edge to make sure it was a consistent taper from entry to exit. I used sharpie near the entry, so I knew if the grinder was getting close so I could keep the entry the original size.

I decided on trying some fancy threaded annular down leg boosters.

I got some new replacement HP metering blocks and removed the IFR from the upper location and installed some 6-32 restrictors in the lower position. I also tapped behind the power valve for 4-40 restrictors.

I had my machinist put the main bodies in the Bridgeport to counterbore for the tapered nuts on the threaded boosters. Here is a test fit.

One thing I noticed is after porting, the casting became very thin near the center. I was afraid the gasket would not seal there, so I filled the center with JB weld and trued the surface.

After I re-installed the boosters, I surfaced the other sides to take any warpage out and make sure the nuts and boosters were not proud of the surface. The sides were nicely warped out of the box....

I am using Quick Fuel jet plates on the secondary. I did have to notch the floats and reseal them with epoxy. The floats are nitrophyl.

I installed some billet baseplates and also swapped out the primary shafts for the original Ford style arms.

These are some oddball carbs and didn't know what else to call them.

A couple pics installed and ready to run.

So last night I decided to try them out, but it didn't go so well. It idled very high and was lean and wanted to die after a rev. Now, I just ASSUMED it would want a little bypass, so I drilled the butterflies from the start. WRONG. I had the throttle plates completely closed on both carbs front and back and the mixture screws rich and it still idled at 1500 and was a sack of potatoes. So I figured I better change the throttle plates. This morning I dug out a new set of spare baseplates for a 660 that I could rob the blades from. Swapped them out and fired it back up after lunch. I was happy to see it was running like a top now. Idles well down to around 1200 or so where it's happy and mixture screws are where they should be. Revs nice after swapping in some 35 squirters and comes right back to an idle without stumble or dying like before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QnAYeEJWYd0&pp=ygUjRm9yZCBmZSAzOTAgb24gaWRsaW5nIG9uIHRlc3Qgc3RhbmQ%3D

Now that both sets of carbs are fairly sorted out, I feel ready to drop it back in the car. I think I left out a bunch of details, but that's the gist of it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 08:30:46 PM by Nightmist66 »
Jared

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2023, 08:49:09 PM »
Picking up where I left off with a minor update. Engine has been in the car for about a month now. Finished up the loose ends. Weather has not been cooperating lately, so I figured last weekend I would clean off the 3yrs of accumulated dust and picked up a buffer and gave it a little polish. Paint looks okay for 39 yr old lacquer but is showing some age in places. Here's the engine installed:

I found an ink stamp for the alternator, so I made the powermaster unit look a little more original.

Weather has been awful lately, but today it cleared off and made it to a whopping 47degrees. I managed a couple shake down runs today to test the new ring and pinion, new clutch, new front and rear tires, and new engine to seat the rings under load. I turned the electric fan controller up high to let the engine get some more heat in the cool weather, but the hottest it would get is 170°. Carbs need some fine tuning and a couple very minor things to address, but overall a success. Finally outside again:

Will have to wait till spring to get to the track. Tomorrow is the last day our track is open. Oh well, there's other stuff to do until then...
Jared

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2023, 11:22:37 PM »
Looks fantastic Jared!  The ink stamp is a nice detail  :D
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2023, 02:41:00 AM »
It is a beautyful build

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2023, 11:12:10 AM »
Jared, Quick Fuel might be hiring. You could be in charge of product development.

Warped main bodies out of the box, there is something right there you could make sure doesn’t happen, ( I know they are Holley parts but Quick Fuels might be prone to it also).

I suppose you made the tuned exhaust collectors also?

Nice work as usual.
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’