Author Topic: Fuel Supply for a 445.  (Read 2412 times)

Yellow Truck

Fuel Supply for a 445.
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:03:19 AM »
As I wait for parts I have time to think about the build - I've ordered a Prison Break rotating assembly, FElony heads, a fairly aggressive hydraulic roller cam, and a Quick Fuel SS 830.

Will the stock fuel line coming out of the tank in an old bumpside deliver enough fuel? My buddy has built a 385 based 521ci beast and I was looking at the fuel pickup and lines he added and it made me wonder. Do I need to do something similar or is the original line good enough for street use?

RJP

• View Profile
Re: Fuel Supply for a 445.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 01:19:23 PM »
If the original fuel line and pick up is 5/16" don't waste yer time...it won't be enough fuel. 3/8" is absolute minimum. My 72 Lincoln MK IV [stock 460 w/ 4300 Autolite-5/16" line] would run out of fuel at about 85-90 mph. Driving across the Mohave desert I was just getting in the way of most of the cars and trucks on the hiway. Even got in the way of a FWD PSD Ford Super duty pulling a 28' Eliminator boat...I watched him drive off into the sunset as he passed me like I was tied to a tree. Disheartening to say the least... :-[ 

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 09:31:56 PM »
As I wait for parts I have time to think about the build - I've ordered a Prison Break rotating assembly, FElony heads, a fairly aggressive hydraulic roller cam, and a Quick Fuel SS 830.

Will the stock fuel line coming out of the tank in an old bumpside deliver enough fuel? My buddy has built a 385 based 521ci beast and I was looking at the fuel pickup and lines he added and it made me wonder. Do I need to do something similar or is the original line good enough for street use?

Not sure which engine the truck originally had but some came with a 5/16 fuel line. If so the fitting in tank is only 3/16" way too small

chris401

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:16:39 PM »
Installed 1/2" in tank and reduced to 3/8" down frame. Fixed the 65 390 bowls from running dry. Along with the tank restriction you may have line build up like I did.