Author Topic: OEM Valve Cover Stamped O.K.  (Read 2447 times)

chris401

OEM Valve Cover Stamped O.K.
« on: October 11, 2017, 10:55:58 AM »
The 360/390 sticker has a July 1972 date. Did the O.K. stamped covers mean this engine was on a dyno or pulled for a through inspection?

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: OEM Valve Cover Stamped O.K.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:16:27 PM »
That's a typical stamp Ford used at various stages of parts checks and assembly. Back then, each engine went through a Hot Test before installation, to verify that everything was ok and there were no leaks, but that was it. They never did dyno engines that were destined for installation. They would pull engines occasionally for dyno checks and to test reliability, but then they were disassembled and checked over for problems. They were never re-used.

I can't say for sure when that stamp was added, but my guess is it was added at some point during assembly, probably near it's end of the run, to verify that everything was in place and ready for the next phase.

Edit: to add that the Hot Test was nothing like a dyno. It was basically an engine stand with quick hookups for water and electrical. Actually, if I remember correctly, they were just suspended from the overhead cradle, gathered in groups at the test area, then hooked up. They were 'ran in' for several minutes, then taken off to be shipped to the final assembly plant. At least that's how it was done at the Lima Engine Plant.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:23:02 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:39:50 PM »
I have seen that on if not all, so on most valvecovers i had
from late 60s-70s

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

chris401

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
I have a few links saved on the casting and machining process and body assembly. This is another interesting link to add to my colection, thanks.

That is the first large stamp I remember. I remeber a small o.k. inside a small circle.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 04:27:25 PM »
I have some Cleveland covers somewhere and a 400 that's untouched
i can try to take picture of the stamps on them if you are interested
or is it just stamps on FEs you are interested in

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

chris401

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 05:21:23 PM »
I have some Cleveland covers somewhere and a 400 that's untouched
i can try to take picture of the stamps on them if you are interested
or is it just stamps on FEs you are interested in
Basicly just FE engines and the processes the engines went through.

wsu0702

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 03:35:38 PM »
That's a typical stamp Ford used at various stages of parts checks and assembly. Back then, each engine went through a Hot Test before installation, to verify that everything was ok and there were no leaks, but that was it. They never did dyno engines that were destined for installation. They would pull engines occasionally for dyno checks and to test reliability, but then they were disassembled and checked over for problems. They were never re-used.

I can't say for sure when that stamp was added, but my guess is it was added at some point during assembly, probably near it's end of the run, to verify that everything was in place and ready for the next phase.

Edit: to add that the Hot Test was nothing like a dyno. It was basically an engine stand with quick hookups for water and electrical. Actually, if I remember correctly, they were just suspended from the overhead cradle, gathered in groups at the test area, then hooked up. They were 'ran in' for several minutes, then taken off to be shipped to the final assembly plant. At least that's how it was done at the Lima Engine Plant.

Here is a pic of an FE undergoing the hot test at the Dearborn Engine Plant back in 1962.  Note that the engine is still hanging from the overhead conveyor system that it travelled on during the entire engine assembly process.  The articulating fixture (J bar) attached to the passenger side bottom of the block via (2) 7/16 tapped holes in the block just above the pan rail.

I believe that the OK stamp was probably added after the engine successfully completed this test but I wouldn't bet my life on it.  Another possibility is that it might have been a final QC check before the engine was shipped to the vehicle assembly plant (or an incoming QC check).