Author Topic: More on the "small FE" idea....  (Read 32396 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: More on the "small FE" idea....
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2016, 06:03:38 PM »
The size is not the problem, it is the shape of the port, and the awful dogleg so close to the short turn of the valve seat.  Airflow wants to take the shortest distance between the carburetor and the chamber, which causes the air/fuel to shear over the short turn if it is misshaped the least amount.  The short turn makes or breaks the FE intake port.  Get it right, and the ports can go to 320+ on the R head with large valve, and 310 on CJ is possible with larger valve.  Not easy, but can be done.  I have ported hundreds of the sbf heads, and I have yet to find one that will go 190 cfm with stock valve size and stock valve job from the factory.  JMO, but it is from my experience.   Joe-JDC
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:05:15 PM by Joe-JDC »
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »
189 is awfully close to 190, Joe..... ;)
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2016, 07:18:57 PM »
The size is not the problem, it is the shape of the port, and the awful dogleg so close to the short turn of the valve seat.  Airflow wants to take the shortest distance between the carburetor and the chamber, which causes the air/fuel to shear over the short turn if it is misshaped the least amount.  The short turn makes or breaks the FE intake port.  Get it right, and the ports can go to 320+ on the R head with large valve, and 310 on CJ is possible with larger valve.  Not easy, but can be done.  I have ported hundreds of the sbf heads, and I have yet to find one that will go 190 cfm with stock valve size and stock valve job from the factory.  JMO, but it is from my experience.   Joe-JDC

Exactly what my headguy told me. And he put the major work on the short turn radius.
He said on my C4 he wanted to fill up the floor of the intake port  because that would
give me some gains in fuel consumption + some torque.

And he dint like the exhaust runner under the valve were there is a "cave" for some reason.
I shall give him another set that he can go "all out" on

What is the biggest valves you can run in a 390 bore before It starts to shroud them
or hit something?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »
My own, off-the-cuff answer is that you are safe enough with 2.100 with most available head castings so long as you also stay with a 1.65 exhaust valve.

KS

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2016, 07:35:47 AM »
On a street engine you don't want to get too hung up on flow numbers. For a street driven carburerated engine or a mild small cubic engine you want fuel atomization and velocity. Keeping fuel suspended from idle to 3000 rpm is what gives your vehicle street manners. Take a look at the designs of the fuel injected intakes vs a carbutated intake. A fuel injector will spray a mist close to the head, given that you can see how Ford can get away with making a dedicated fuel injection head. The same large port head used on the street and a high flowing performance head.

That's certainly a true statement, but at some point you need to fill the cylinder.  Remember, at a give a/f ratio, part of that equation is air. Of course, nobody wan't to see a tunnel port 352 on the street trying to idle around, but a good fast head, prepared for the demands of the build, makes a LOT more power than a stock head with it's sharp turns and places for fuel to come out of suspension at port transition, guide bossess, slag, etc.  On an FE in particular, I'd rather see a guy "over" head and run the proper intake, than the other way around, which is generally more common
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »
A small, happy head with a properly sized manifold will ALWAYS perform better than an oversized head and/or manifold, regardless of flow bench numbers.   The 400 inch and smaller crowd NEEDS a small high velocity head with good flow, and the stroker crowd would find the results interesting even on the bigger engines in street apps.
Blair Patrick

FElony

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2016, 11:12:24 PM »
A small, happy head with a properly sized manifold will ALWAYS perform better than an oversized head and/or manifold, regardless of flow bench numbers.   The 400 inch and smaller crowd NEEDS a small high velocity head with good flow, and the stroker crowd would find the results interesting even on the bigger engines in street apps.

Ain't gonna happen, Blair. I tried to make a case for a small chamber (like the '60) version of the new stuff coming out a few years ago, just for smaller FE's. Much like my pitch for a run of high-deck pistons and long rods, I was kicked in the balls and left to fight demons on the parapet. But that's another story.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2016, 12:55:55 AM »
Ahh but it IS going to happen.  I have the ports to do it now, but to cast it, rather than mill the Pro Ports, is a short time away.  The 4.6,5.4, 6.8 two-valve mod heads flow about 250 at .500 lift.  To make street power like a V10 with a small FE, we need 1.25 times the flow of one port in a 10 cyl, to move the same air at the same cubes, so 312 cfm give or take.  It's a pet project for me.....I just have to work it in. 
Blair Patrick

FElony

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »
Ahh but it IS going to happen.  I have the ports to do it now, but to cast it, rather than mill the Pro Ports, is a short time away.  The 4.6,5.4, 6.8 two-valve mod heads flow about 250 at .500 lift.  To make street power like a V10 with a small FE, we need 1.25 times the flow of one port in a 10 cyl, to move the same air at the same cubes, so 312 cfm give or take.  It's a pet project for me.....I just have to work it in.

Nah, they'll all just beat you up, tell you to buy a stroker kit, and send you emails about the stupidity of running a 6-liter FE. And there will still be the issue of pistons and rods. By the time you buy new heads AND custom pistons AND custom rods... cha ching, build a 445.

If you do that head anyway, though, test it on pump gas with Singh grooves, and make that an option. If you are going to get lynched at high noon, you might as well be a pioneer.

chris401

A Basic 352 Gets The Job Done
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2016, 09:36:59 AM »
Robbed this post from another site. The engine is basically built from what the internet calls junk. Although a decent cast piston would improve petformance, mileage and power in the 352's current form there is no mention of crafty machine work or expensive forged pistons.

This 352 is a stock OEM piston and OEM 4v camshaft 66 Galaxie engine. D2TE-A heads, Edelbrock SP2P-390 intake and a Quadra Jet. Cam is advanced 4° and the carburetor could use some tweaking. The factory deck and .038" head gaskets give it .091" quench. With machine work, dished zero deck pistons it would be a responsive engine. As of now it gets 13.3 running 80 empty. It was able to pull this load up I-35 between 60-68 mph. The wind would start swaying the motor home at 70. Staying out of the secondaries it got 6.3 mpg.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
A quadrajet!  Someone go beat that guy up too!   ::)  Small primaries and chunnel sized secondaries?!  Blasphemy!  ;D ;D ;)

chris401

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2016, 10:26:07 AM »
A quadrajet!  Someone go beat that guy up too!   ::)  Small primaries and chunnel sized secondaries?!  Blasphemy!  ;D ;D ;)
I live in Waco TX. I am 41 with crushed nerves in the lower 3 disc. Bring couple of MIA fighters, should be about even.

chris401

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »
I live in Waco TX. I am 41 with crushed nerves in the lower 3 disc. Bring couple of MIA fighters, should be about even.
In reality it is only L5S1 the two up top are mere encroachments and you'll need to come on a rare day I feel like it. Another reality is two hills slowed me to 50 mph. Would have been ok on a third but a 50 mph drunk got in front of me. With no distance to get back up to speed everybody but a box truck passed as I topped the hill at 42.

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »
That's pretty good performance from (junk). That trailer has to weigh close to 5000 and the motor home has to no close to 8000. What transmission and rear end gears are in the truck. Also wondering if the sp2 intake is holding power back a bit?
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

chris401

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2016, 11:01:39 AM »
NP435 and Dana 60 4.10:1 open diff. For my use the intake is perfect. Although the engine is bacily done at 4900 rpms. My engine speed is 3000 at 70 mph where most dynos start. A tow trucks torque towing power is more important than a street/strip car/truck horse power.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:25:29 PM by chris401 »