Author Topic: NOTE TO blykins AND OTHERS WHO CARE TO LOOK IN:  (Read 12207 times)

Tobbemek

• View Profile
Re: NOTE TO blykins AND OTHERS WHO CARE TO LOOK IN:
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 06:00:14 AM »
Haa i forgot to put in "curb idle screw" in the sentence  "idle screw"

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »
boy,i hope some of my east tennessee slang dont confuse anybody
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »
Mentioning a stall convertor is a rare occurrence with me since everything I've ever built had 3 pedals. To me it's like the people that rag on about the term 3/4 cam we used way back when. That was just the term everyone used. No different than seeing a cam listed as a "RV cam" now. What, your going to take your hot rod camping? Just the terms used now.

I like the comment on "twisted panties". Maybe we should start a Twisted Panty section.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 10:57:27 AM »

I believe that is "don't confuse nobody".
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 11:04:20 AM »

From eastern KY.  Can confirm.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fastback 427

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »
You guys all talk weird to me. Up in North Dakota we don't have an accent. Enough of this, i gotta trow da horse some hay over da fence hey. :o
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 11:59:39 AM »
You guys all talk weird to me. Up in North Dakota we don't have an accent. Enough of this, i gotta trow da horse some hay over da fence hey. :o

Not quite far "north" enough. I believe taht should "...over da fence, eh?"
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 12:25:22 PM »
If you get "quite far up north" in Sweden like Ingemar Stenmark territory for those ho know ho hi is, people up there will answer most any question
with a strange half whistling in sucking sound    "Shhiiuu"    Nice wether to day---   " Shhiiuu"  Do you know if this road does go too-----  "Shhiiuu"
and so on.

FElony

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 12:26:19 PM »

You are both obvious imposters. All of us Westerners know, for a fact, that every sentence from a real Suth'ner (<-- note correct spelling) contains at least one "y'all" in it. Maybe "yaawwl" if y'all from Joh Jah.

Anyway, here is my stall converter story, um , y'all. Several decades ago my best friend at the time, who was a Mopar guy (I know, I know) went and rented a room from a Chevy guy (this tale is deteriorating rapidly, ain't it?). His ride was a bright yellow '70 Camero (<-- note Craigslist spelling) powered by a 350 with a mild cam and the usual bolt-ons. It actually ran pretty well (hey, accidents will happen). He switched from stock gears to 4.10's, but kept the stock converter.

As the rpm with each shift was above stall, the car became a Scratch Meister. In normal traffic the 1-2 always barked the tires with a little lunge. 2-3 would also with just a little more go pedal. It would do this even with 3 guys inside. Great fun!. In contrast, my 442, which was an easy 2-to-3 seconds faster, had a 3800-flash 10-inch that produced mushy, unremarkable shifts even with a -2 Transgo in traffic. You had to lean on the throttle to get some theatrics.

So, the point heah (<--note correct Suth'n spelling) is that converter choice "can" be influenced not just by cam and stuff, but by what you want the car to behave like. Wanna Scratch Meister? Stock or low stall, y'all.

FElony

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »
Another little story for y'all (lawdy, iz ah gawn be talking lahk dis awl day?). I attended private school in the L.A. area from Kindergarten through 12th. The curriculum throughout heavily stressed proper English speech and composition as essential to success in the post-graduation world. The text books not only taught the right way, but also included numerous examples of no-no's. This confused many of us, as we had not observed any of this substandard lingo in our society. It wasn't until I was in High School that I realized that the majority of the criticism was, in fact, leveled at the way English was spoken in the South. The initial eye-opener was a guy who joined our school in 10th grade after moving with his family from Biloxi. Hoo-wee he might as well have been from Mars. Great guy, but needless to say he was "forced" by circumstance to alter his speech lest he be thrown to the lions.

It wasn't until my first year in college that I discovered that there was a worse living situation than an apartment. You would have to go several miles to the sketchy part of town to even find an apartment in my area. It was an actual insult to someone in my group to suggest that they may have been raised in an apartment, or even was acquainted with one of said dwellers.

So, one day the news mentions a tornado had ripped through a Texas trailer park and killed x number of people. Properly horrified, I had no clue why people would hang around a campground with a tornado bearing down on them. I mentioned this to someone at school, who informed me that it was not a campground, but that people actually lived in structures that were towed in and fixed to the ground semi-permanently, and that the victims of the tornado were hunkered down at home hoping they made it.

Well, I went from horrified to mortified. Living in a trailer? In the United States of America? Tell me it ain't so. Culture shock at its basic level. And now, ironically, I live in the desert in a teepee that I have to rebuild a couple of times every monsoon season. Life is grand, y'all.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »

as clint eastwood would say-i wrecken so
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »
So, one day the news mentions a tornado had ripped through a Texas trailer park and killed x number of people. Properly horrified, I had no clue why people would hang around a campground with a tornado bearing down on them. I mentioned this to someone at school, who informed me that it was not a campground, but that people actually lived in structures that were towed in and fixed to the ground semi-permanently, and that the victims of the tornado were hunkered down at home hoping they made it.

FElony,
What does a tornado in Texas, a hurricane in Florida, and a divorce in Georgia have in common?

someone's fixin to lose a trailer.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 01:43:27 PM »
If you get "quite far up north" in Sweden like Ingemar Stenmark territory for those ho know ho hi is, people up there will answer most any question
with a strange half whistling in sucking sound    "Shhiiuu"    Nice wether to day---   " Shhiiuu"  Do you know if this road does go too-----  "Shhiiuu"
and so on.
;D ;D ;D its a myth ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
 :) Did you watch the documentary story  on TV about the famous -56is Stenmark,Borg, Wassberg, Frank Andersson and Linda Haglund.
The interveus with Stenmark  The competition went good today----  " Shhiuu    Was it a difficult ride down the pist--- Shhiuu :)

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »
First of all, I consider Ken Sheffer a friend. He has credentials in journalism, and therefore I can imagine his affinity with the English language and correct terminology is important to him. It's actually a good thing if you're not too thin skinned.

I myself am a transplant from a shack in the swamp at the outlet of the Cape Fear River in NC, to the asphalt jungle of the San Fernando Valley in SoCal at an early age. "English" as spoken to me by my relatives and English as spoken to me by my teachers and peers was very confusing to me as a child. But it all worked out fine. I still say reckon, y'all, and yonder...but most folks get the jest of what I'm try'n to say. But I also don't mind being corrected.

I know what a "stall converter" is but I don't use that term. It's a little hillbilly for me. I prefer loose. ;)

Now back to the garage. Y'all take care now, y'hear?