Author Topic: Bullitt Mustang at Mecum today  (Read 3854 times)

Katz427

• View Profile
Re: Bullitt Mustang at Mecum today
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2020, 10:52:18 AM »
Having seen the car, in "the flesh", I was kind of taken by its poor condition. It was obvious, that for most of the cars hibernation, nobody gave any thought to preserving it. Considering the movie provenance, it sat neglected for a very long time. Only the provenance was responsible for the selling price, certainly not overall condition. Hopefully the current owner respects the cars history, and gives it a better retirement. No disrespect to the Sean and his family, it was just an "old car" to them.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2020, 07:47:27 AM »
Much money for a worn down Mustang but.......
People pay a lot of money for dried up paint on a
piece of canvas.I think the mustang is more fun

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 12:06:06 PM »
Which makes me wonder, if the Mona Lisa had sat outside for a few years, then got touched up with fingerpaint by some novice.... what would it be worth?

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 04:29:07 PM »
the eye of the beholder , I guess

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 04:39:55 PM »
According to an article I read, the finish is actually preserved and was not left to "fester".  It's actually sealed to prevent further deterioration.  But the object was to arrest deterioration at some stage and not to bring back any former glory. 

>No disrespect to the Sean and his family, it was just an "old car" to them.
Not entirely, they knew what it was they just used it as Ford intended - as a car LOL.  After some time, they became more aware of the pressure in the hobby to "find that car!" and put it out of reach. 

I personally say that for all the ugly and pretty one of ones out there, this one sits on top of the heap.  If you don't give a shiz about the movie, then you likely don't give a shiz about the car.  Any remake of "Bullitt" won't be "the real Bullitt" and in the real Bullitt is Steve and the Mustang.  And the whole car is there, not some fender VIN patched back into another chassis.  All high end sales are about "provenance" and this one has it in a big way.