1955-1959
1960-1964
1965-1969
1970-1974
1975-1979
1980-1984
1985-1989
1990 or later

Author Topic: Age of Forum Members  (Read 32723 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Age of Forum Members
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »
47 here. I was lucky enough to grow up with over 100 Fords in my back yard, the newest one being 1964. So Ford cars have been a major part of my entire life. Helping my Dad rebuild flatheads starting at about age 5 gave me a head start to most people I knew growing up. I cut my teeth on Fords. Literally! At the age of 4, I got my front two teeth knocked out falling into a bumper bracket on a '37 Ford coupe. ;D  I had to sit on my legs just to see out the windshield, when I helped him move cars.

The price of the cars and the FE in general has everything in the world to do with the age group associated with the forum. I've found that, generally speaking, the younger crowd LOVES the older cars and big blocks, they just can't afford them now.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »
I may be low man on the totem pole at 22 yrs. old. ::) I was lucky to inheret my grandfather's car a few years ago that he owned since '70. I LOVE FEs and always will. My family has been into Fords and FEs for many years. If I didn't inheret the car, I would have found something else to build, with an FE of course. I plan on keeping the car forever.

Jared, that is AWESOME!! You're a lucky guy to have such a cool car at your age. And it's even better that it was your Grandfathers car. That is a neat story by itself.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »
I voted for 1975, but I feel older and try to act younger. ;) Never had an FE until I bought the first wagon, now I've collected a pile of 'em.  NOTHING noteworthy for cars in 75 that I know of. My Grampa did buy a Lincoln Continental that year, and I own it now - It's one month older than me. Later, Travis.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 06:29:58 PM »
I may be low man on the totem pole at 22 yrs. old. ::) I was lucky to inheret my grandfather's car a few years ago that he owned since '70. I LOVE FEs and always will. My family has been into Fords and FEs for many years. If I didn't inheret the car, I would have found something else to build, with an FE of course. I plan on keeping the car forever.

Jared, that is AWESOME!! You're a lucky guy to have such a cool car at your age. And it's even better that it was your Grandfathers car. That is a neat story by itself.

Thanks Doug, I agree I'm lucky there. Last fall, I took it to a local show and a guy came up and asked me who's car it was and I said it was mine. He said, I think I used to own that car. So we started talking and it turned out he was the second owner of the car and gave my dad and I a full history on it. He said the original owner ordered it in at the Ford dealer about 35-40 mi. from where I live. How cool! He sold it to a guy in late 69 and that guy flipped cars so he ended up keeping it for a few months and selling it in early 70. He later asked if I would sell it back, I said NOPE! He said, I figured.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »
Awesome Jared.
As I said earlier, shows character.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »
I will hit the big Five-O in a couple of weeks. I grew up with a Ford loving dad, but didn't get my first car until 1982. Aussie muscle cars were still affordable then, and if you had a US model car, you were a celebrity back then.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
My first car with a FE was a 66 Fairlane 500xl ,black
with Cragar ss bought it in the early 80s

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 06:43:47 PM »
Thanks Doug, I agree I'm lucky there. Last fall, I took it to a local show and a guy came up and asked me who's car it was and I said it was mine. He said, I think I used to own that car. So we started talking and it turned out he was the second owner of the car and gave my dad and I a full history on it. He said the original owner ordered it in at the Ford dealer about 35-40 mi. from where I live. How cool! He sold it to a guy in late 69 and that guy flipped cars so he ended up keeping it for a few months and selling it in early 70. He later asked if I would sell it back, I said NOPE! He said, I figured.

Great story. Not many people know the whole history of their car. But I have to ask, why did your Grandfather will it to you? Did he know you wanted it?

Sadly, I see familys inherit stuff and sell it as quick as they can for the money. I guess if they're not into it, then it's for the best.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »
I am 56 bought my mustang when I was 15. I saved my money from mowing lawns. I helped my neighbor rebuild the engine in his 68 Torino and fell in love with the car. I  saw a 69 Mach1 S code in my high school parking lot and bought it for $475.00. I drove it till the middle 80s and started restoring it. I think I am almost there it looks good runs low 12s possibly high 11s with a driver mod.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
Great story. Not many people know the whole history of their car. But I have to ask, why did your Grandfather will it to you? Did he know you wanted it?

Sadly, I see familys inherit stuff and sell it as quick as they can for the money. I guess if they're not into it, then it's for the best.

Well actually after he passed it went into my grandmas name and I purchased it from her for a "small amount" and now have the title in my name. Yes, they both knew I wanted it and would take care of it. It could have gone to my uncle, but he was pretty much a (cough)Chevy guy growing up despite being surrounded by Fords. She figured if she would have given it to him, he probably would have driven it for a while and sold it. Also, it didn't go to my dad, he knew I wanted it and he has several cars already. I just got the new license plates in the mail, 66 FE GT. It was going more towards stock when my grandpa passed even though he raced it several times, but I had other plans. He used to drive it everyday to work for a few years and drove it shortly with a 4.88 gear in it. I love street/strip, so I have been working on it since the day I got it. Minor engine upgrades for now(healthy rebuild coming in a year or so), complete front susp., rear susp., complete exhaust with headers, built a new 9in. assy. after I grenaded the old 28 spline trac. lok on my college dyno, complete fuel system front to rear, all new Autometer gauges and radio delete dash, homemade safety loop, Ram street/strip clutch., line lock, fixed reverse lights to work with the comp. plus shifter, and so on.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:12:03 PM by Nightmist66 »
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 07:11:43 PM »
Cjshaker My great grandfathers service revolver and FN cal25 auto
had ended up someway with one of his daughter. And my dad tried
to buy them from her but no way she would sell them. When she died
she willed everything to her church.And in sweden all guns have to
be registered .So they were ilegal but my dad bought them from the
Priest.So the crurch was involved in ilegal gun trade ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Tommy-T

• View Profile
Hey Turbo 'n Felony
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »
You gots me a'think'n 'bout all the time I spent street race'n in the Valley.

I'm from up on the Rock, the Sunland/Tujunga area. We Foothill boys took our street racing very seriously...and did a lot, usually 3 nights a week from '77 to about '85. Wentworth, Glenoaks and Peoria, Woodman and Saticoy, Sepulveda and Plummer, Chatsworth and Zelza, beside Burbank airport and lots of other places. The track was for tuning...the street was where the action was. Lie'n, cheat'n, and fight'n...you know...real fun!

Remember the first "bottle" run I ever saw. It was at Sepulveda and Plummer. Wild! Went out and bought an I.C.E. unit the next week.

The streets of LA became a mean place to be at 3am by 1985...and my street race'n days became a thing of the past.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 09:43:56 PM »
Wow Tommy
You're bringin back some memories also.
Chatsworth and Zelza was my home turf.
I lived at the top of Balboa.
The early 70s were somethin' else.
We used to go to the north end of Van Nuys also, up in Arleta.
My brother used to work at Shelleys auto parts so fixin' stuff was AOK.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:45:50 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 09:44:48 PM »
We never did any of that street racing in Detroit.
Sounds like it was fun.....   ::)

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 09:46:40 PM »
It was Barry.
SoCal was pretty cool back then.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428