Author Topic: Street Avenger  (Read 1883 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Street Avenger
« on: May 11, 2016, 02:07:08 PM »
I heard some bad reputations about The Holley Street avenger carbs
Is it true or is it owner related?

The carb in question is a #80870. Holley call it a 870 but it have
the same primary venturis as a 750 and secondary venturis is
1/16"smaller than a 750 same throtlebores as a 750 so i dont know ???
used one summer so that make me suspect its not working as it should

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Street Avenger
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 09:01:01 PM »
I am not fond of any of the new Holleys with the high IFR, I am not alone, a lot of carb guys swap for an earlier style.  The SA line is one of those high IFR designs

It's not only the IFR location, which I think meters less efficiently with heat, but also how Holley changed their emulsion holes in the main well.  They added more and it seems to hurt transition to the main boosters causing a little lean buck, not horrible, but annoying.  Some beat it with big shooters and pump cam, but that's like using an ax to cut a steak

I will say, once you swap the early metering block on the primaries (use the original IFR, PVCR and jet sizes from the Street Avenger, they usually run great.  Same for some of the HP series carbs too.

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 09:55:49 PM »
Yes i heard about the transition problems and
difficult to get them to idle as they should
So what you say is its fixabel with an early
metering block?

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 06:32:17 AM »
Yes, you need a set of small pin drills, I usually use one off of an early 600 because it has smaller restrictors

You drill the idle fuel restriction and power valve restriction to the size that the Street Avenger has in its block, you can get those sizes from Holley, put the jets and PV out of the SA in the new block and go.

That being said, if you have a SA that is together, I'd always try it first, but if you get an odd light throttle tip in hesitation on the street, you'll know what it is. 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch