Author Topic: 69 Cobra (Torino) Factory Appearance?  (Read 10785 times)

Rory428

• View Profile
Re: 69 Cobra (Torino) Factory Appearance?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 12:21:07 AM »
I used to own 2 Cobras, both R code fastbacks. To the best of my knowledge , Ford referred  to them as just "Ford Cobra". There was no Torino or Fairlane designation anywhere on the car, and any factory sales brochures, including the 1969 Ford "Performance Digest",  that I have or have seen , are they referred to as a Fairlane or Torino. On the registration paperwork, it just said Ford Cobra. The fact that Ford called the new 70-71 Torino performance model a Torino Cobra just adds to the confusion. The Cobra in 69 did use the Fairlane grill, not the Torino grill. The 69 Cobra was built to attract the same market as the Plymouth Road Runner, a low buck, bare bones mid size Muscle Car. However, the Cobra could be loaded with options as desired. My 2 Cobras were at opposite ends of the option spectrum. My first Cobra was a car I bought from a guy that worked at Ford Power Parts in California. I found it on a trip to Pomona, and was picking up some FE parts at FPP, and saw the car in the parking lot. It was quite optioned out, C6 automatic,PS, PDB, A/C, bucket seats , console, tach etc. My 2nd Cobra was very plain,4 speed, manual steering and manual drum  brakes F&R, bench seat, steel wheels with dog dish hub caps. It also had a special order 6 digit DSO, according to the Marti Report, it was special ordered with Acapulco Blue paint, which was not a factory available color for a Fairlane or Torino, but was a regular color for a 69 Mustang. I guess whoever ordered the car didn`t want the darker Presidential Blue that was available on Torinos and Fairlanes. Regarding the Snake decals vs chrome fender emblems, both mine had the metal emblems, but I do recall seeing a Black Jade 69 Cobra with the snake fender decals , running around my area in the early 70s. As for the black paint, I have seen quite a few 69 Cobra fastbacks with flat black tail light rear panels, and hood scoops, but I can`t say that they came from Ford that way, or if they were painted black after the fact. Both my Cobras had flat black on the tail light panels, the blue stripper model had a body colored hood scoop, the gold car was black. Both had the small,rectangular "428" emblem, along with the chrome Cobra Jet script, I believe only the Q code engine cars had the larger "428" fender emblems, since they did not come with a hod scoop. Stangely, all 69 Torino GTs came with a hood scoop, even the 302 2 barrel, although only the R code 428 cars had the scoop functional. Both my Cobras also had hood pins. One odd option on my manual steering Cobra was the Rim Blow 3 spoke steering wheel. Considering how often I inadvertantly honked the horns on my 69 and 70 Mach 1s, that had power steering, I have to think the Rim Blow on a manual steering car must have been noisy in a parking lot! I sold both Cobras years ago, but I still have the Ford History 999 letter for the low option blue 4 speed car. Yet another car I wish I had kept!
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 12:37:53 AM »
I suspect the hood stripe was someone trying to emulate the hood treatment such as the one used on my 69 Cyclone CJ where the hood scoop and peaked portion of the hood were painted the same color.I agree on the tail panel all original paint Cobra's I have seen were body color,I also agree with Joe on the hood scoop Ram Air automatically had the hood scoop of course,but the hood scoop was optional on any car without Ram Air,I've seen them with and without the scoop and have also seen non ram air cars with the scoop with and without the pie shaped cutouts under the scoop,I also agree that they were termed Fairlane Cobras early on and later Torino Cobras,this may have been due to the large Torino Cobra callouts on the quarter panels of the Nascar bad boys.Jay since yours is early enough to not be termed Drag Pak does it still have the oil cooler?I was always curious if that was part of the SCJ engine package or part of the Drag Pak,I've heard conflicting opinions on it.As far as the decal at the bottom of the front fender ads showed them but I don't ever remember actually seeing a car that had them so it may have been a very early production thing but then again maybe not.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 12:46:00 AM »
After seeing machyoungs Cobra I like it all one color, scoop and all. Curious if it also has the flat black rear panel.

machyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2020, 07:41:37 AM »
It's all body color. No Fairlane or Torino script anywhere. The only thing that I can find that says Fairlane on it is the tire inflation decal inside the glovebox.

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 08:48:58 AM »
Perhaps also adding to the confusion, you could order a (Fairlane) Cobra which is a CJ car with hood pins, etc. or you could order a Torino with the 428 CJ engine option, no hood pins, Torino trim.  I had a '69 Torino GT CJ formal roof.  BTW, you didn't get much with the "GT" option.  You still had to pay extra for bucket seats and console, for example.  Both of which you would think would be standard on a "GT".

I think the turndowns were standard exhaust on all of them unless you had Sport Mirrors, like the Cobra.  If you ordered that mirror option on a Torino, you got the straight chrome exhaust tips like a Cobra.
Jim

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 09:16:20 AM »
Oooh! An AM radio and a rear speaker!  8)

Bet you can't wait to tune into some 70's rock, eh Jay?

Hah!
Bob Maag

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 09:53:51 AM »
Not that I can add much to this, but my 69 Ranchero Rio Grande has the blacked out grille, and stripe on the hood just like your Jay. The hood was blacked out in the center, as was the scoop. I know on those at least they did have the hood blacked out, they also had the lower black GT stripe.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 10:18:41 AM »
Jay since yours is early enough to not be termed Drag Pak does it still have the oil cooler?I was always curious if that was part of the SCJ engine package or part of the Drag Pak,I've heard conflicting opinions on it.

When I bought the car the oil cooler was gone, but the brackets that hold the oil cooler are still there, so I'm sure it came with one.  Seems to me that the horn location was moved due to that also, although I'm not 100% sure about that.  In one of the screaming deals of the last ten years, I picked up a complete oil cooler setup for the car, filter adapter, lines and cooler, in good shape for $200 from a local guy.  Still searching for a shaker setup, and I'll probably have to get one of those fiberglass repro units when I get the car back together...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 03:57:23 PM »
I have an extra shaker scoop if you need one. I don't have the rest of the assembly. I think the scoop is from a Mustang.
Greg

blackie427gal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 06:14:45 PM »
 Jay you should talk to Mike Patnode his 69 Fairlane SCJ Cobra was one of the first to come off the assembly line. The exterior is still all factory original to this day. A true time capsule just the way he ordered it

blackie427gal

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 06:20:23 PM »
 I also think I have a cooler for that car not sure on the lines a would have to look a little harder.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2020, 06:24:17 PM »
Jay are you looking for a shaker or the non-shaker ram air flapper plate?As far as saying a Cobra is neither a Fairlane or a Torino is kind of like saying a Mach 1 isn't a Mustang.While I agree that it had its own body code like a Mach 1 or  Cyclone CJ it doesn't change the fact that it is a version of the Fairlane or Torino just like the GTO was a version of the Tempest/LeMans and the Road Runner was a version of the Satellite/Belvedere.I do agree that the Cobras used the Fairlane grille that even carried over into the 70 models.The 70's were even more varied with the Fairlane,Fairlane 500,Torino,Torino Brougham,Torino GT,Falcon,and Cobras all being available sometime during the 70 model year.Sounds like the Drag-Pak was simply a gearset,speedo gear reducer if necessary,and the option of the Detroit locker.The relocated horn is a commonly looked for clue for the oil cooler.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 06:45:08 PM by 427John »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2020, 07:49:50 PM »
Jay you should talk to Mike Patnode his 69 Fairlane SCJ Cobra was one of the first to come off the assembly line. The exterior is still all factory original to this day. A true time capsule just the way he ordered it

I actually know Mike pretty well, and took a bunch of pictures of his car at a show a few years ago.  But since his car is black I wasn't sure whether it would have gotten additional blackout features, like the taillight panel for example.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2020, 07:52:41 PM »
Jay are you looking for a shaker or the non-shaker ram air flapper plate?

Sorry, I shouldn't have said shaker in that earlier post, my mistake.  I need the ram air setup - air cleaner, lid with flapper, snorkel,  seal, etc.
Jay Brown

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2020, 09:40:07 PM »
If you can find a 67 390 or 428 T-bird aircleaner it has the base that can be made into a ram air base with minor fab work, converting from the smaller spotwelded snorkel to the larger bolt on snorkel,the 390 GT is the same but the holes with the screens are already too large.The filter lid is just an non chromed late 289 HP,the flapper plate is the same as all non shaker 69 ram airs,some late 68's also used it.The snorkel will probably be the single hardest part to find.If you get in a bind I have some extra stuff from my Cyclone I have one of the mentioned 67 T-bird bases,a flapper plate from a 69 Cyclone that has been painted that god awful med ford blue but I think the vacuum motor has a bad diaphram,I've got a couple Cyclone seals with the cutouts but I think I might have one of the full circle Fairlane seals too I'll have to check when I get back home.I'm in the same boat as you as far as a snorkel.I've also got some extra alt. and smog pump brackets and pulleys depending on which accessories yours has.Do you have the SCJ fan on yours?