Author Topic: Performance brake shoe linings? Who can make them?  (Read 2214 times)

67428GT500

• View Profile
Performance brake shoe linings? Who can make them?
« on: March 01, 2020, 12:57:37 AM »
Many of you will remember Velvatouch? I think that was the manufacture. I am looking for brake shoes that are 1.090 X 2.5" with a semi-metallic liner.
My Shelby has  63-66 Thunderbird rear drum brakes with few options even for quality replacements.
Does anyone know who might reline shoes with performance linings?
                                                                                              -Keith

manofmerc

• View Profile
Re: Performance brake shoe linings? Who can make them?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:27:53 AM »
There is a company called Porterfield Brakes supposedly they have a really good lining for brake shoes .I to had some Velvatouch shoes they really worked good for me but they have been out of business for some time now .

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 01:00:38 PM »
A guy in my car club has ones he said are Praise Dyno Brake.... not sure if it's spelled that way. He kept the drums on his 66 Fairlane and wanted them to perform like discs.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 01:25:17 PM »
Porterfield is a major race brake supplier (SCCA, etc.):

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/categories/Brake%20Shoe/Performance%20Street.html

Bob Maag

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 04:31:35 PM »
Thank you, Gentlemen. I twisted a factory 31 spline axle and it, in turn, was out of round and destroyed the inner seal. The gear oil leaked past the axle bearing, down the backing plate and ran into the drum.  Stupid stuff. Not much I can do about it but fix it. I was surprised the 31 spline Ford axle twisted being I haven't been that hard on the car. The new G2s are pretty sticky and it hooks up fairly well now.
Thank you again for the lead on the shoes. I called NAPA. What the hell? No one turns drums and rotors anymore? Millennials don't fix anything! They throw it away and replace it!
Have a great week
!                                             -Keith

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 05:46:02 PM »
Maybe these guys? I haven't used them personally, but may be worth checking out. Jim

http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/stage16772comet.html

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 01:21:42 PM »
Ferodo had a high perf catalouge, where you could chose different linings dont know if they have now
A friend that have a repair shop had it so i read in it and saw that Volvo Amazon and Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
had same front brake pads :o
So did a lot of English sportscars from the 60s with Girling brakes

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 01:31:21 PM »
No one turns drums and rotors anymore? Millennials don't fix anything! They throw it away and replace it!
Have a great week!                                      -Keith

You're right, we millenials don't fix anything! Must be my imagination the brake lathes here at work see plenty of action during the week....
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 06:50:24 PM »
It's the Millenial mindset I am referring to. I lit my son in law up over the "everything is disposable and it's betterjust to replace" mentality. Those like you are the rarity in your age group. You give me hope that all is not lost.  I'm generation X. The first year.  I had both parents at home and my father could fix anything. He was a specialty electrician who worked most of the explosion-proof electrical. They called him in to fix what the union electricians screw up or couldn't figure out. I am a problem solver by nature and wound up picking up what my father did. He owned a Mobil station when I was young and after working at different refineries would do mechanical work at night. It gave me a unique opportunity. If I wanted to spend time with him it was working... On something. He never slowed down.
He retired from Chevron at 75. 
You don't fit the profile but I have no doubt you know who many in your age group that fit the stereotype.

Anyway, Autozone, OReilly, NAPA or Parts Plus don't turn drums or rotors in the area and my comment was based on the two countermen who immediately said: " No one turns rotors or rotors any more. They just buy new ones. Not happening on a Shelby and not available off the shelf.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:52:50 PM by 67428GT500 »

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 07:07:06 PM »
No offense taken, I was being a bit sarcastic. I know there are plenty that fit the stereotype, but I had to defend a "few" of us.  :)

I could turn your drums or rotors if you weren't so far away...
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 10:17:43 PM »
Around here there are only a few places that turn them and a few others that could do it but won't. It's no big deal on a late model car with $15 rotors but there's lots of older stuff that drums or rotors are not available or expensive.

Richard F

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 07:58:03 PM »
Thank you, Gentlemen. I twisted a factory 31 spline axle and it, in turn, was out of round and destroyed the inner seal. The gear oil leaked past the axle bearing, down the backing plate and ran into the drum.  Stupid stuff. Not much I can do about it but fix it. I was surprised the 31 spline Ford axle twisted being I haven't been that hard on the car. The new G2s are pretty sticky and it hooks up fairly well now.
Thank you again for the lead on the shoes. I called NAPA. What the hell? No one turns drums and rotors anymore? Millennials don't fix anything! They throw it away and replace it!
Have a great week

Around me there are no machine shops.  They have all closed.  A friend of mine has a shop with crank grinder, balancer, high tech bore and honing , etc......he's in his early 60's and has pretty much quit.  If I needed something I don't know if I could get him to do it.  Maybe if I begged enough........

!                                             -Keith

mike7570

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 12:27:14 AM »
Anyway, Autozone, OReilly, NAPA or Parts Plus don't turn drums or rotors in the area and my comment was based on the two countermen who immediately said: " No one turns rotors or rotors any more. They just buy new ones. Not happening on a Shelby and not available off the shelf.

Pep Boys turned the rotors on 3 different cars for me. Just be careful when you give them your parts. I ask for a minimal amount of cut just to re-true my rotors and they chucked them up and took so much they might not make another before they were out of spec.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 09:28:29 AM »
We don't turn em anymore !  I would love to use my Brake Lathe but darn it , everything that comes in now is past the minimum spec so you can't turn them . Heck we'll do a Cart Wheel if I can turn something that's not past minimum :)